1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen "Fanfics"

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Can someone explain r9kEsla to me really quick? Thinking about checking it out due to this thread but the modern stuff is a little off-putting. Would like to know what I'm getting into before I bother with it.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It's basically just what it says it is. An ElsaAnna incest fic. Its a step up in writing quality compared to other ElsaAnna fics.

It doesn't rush things. Elsa spends a lot more time self loathing over her feelings and attempting to be a good sister. There's a lot more build up and when it happens, there's some very real consequences and issues.

But yeah, if you're not really interested in femslash or the whole taboo relationships in general, you probably won't like it much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Femslash and incest doesn't really bother me story wise, I guess I'm really just surprised a modern-AU story got a mention here.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, I know what you mean. If a HP modern AU was recommended, that'd go straight to the Hall of Shame. I'm kinda surprised r9k didn't just get flamed off the board straight away. The Frozen fandom seems to pretty much be mostly modern AUs for the Elsanna.

Nemrut and I went through a massive femslash/yuri manga binge last year, and then that translated into trying to find as much femslash fanfiction as possible (you'll note the Tomb Raider fic that got into the library and then the original fiction by the same author)

I suppose my interest in these modernAU fics is a continuation of that, as opposed to actually wanting to read genuine Frozen fanfiction (seeing as I haven't actually even seen the Frozen movie yet). r9kElsa just happens to be of an actual decent standard where the others are just B-grade guilty pleasures.

Don't.

I think it was because you were reading a frozen fic marathon until 4am in the morning and everything seems better at that time - and then you wake up in the morning regretting reccing it on DLP. Done it before with that horrid Rosario + Vampire fic. >_>

Don't really rate this. Like sure, it's kinda unique and weird, but in the end, it's just cheesy, angsty romance.

The one upside is Hans is actually a likeable character and has a cool relationship with Anna.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... It's a decent fic for killing time, but it's 3/5 at best. Not library worthy.

If you have any other fics similar to Asynca's or Elsa is suffering, regardless of verse, I'd love to read em. Gonna check out the tombraider ones later.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Definitely recommend the Tomb Raider ones. There's certainly femslash romance in there, but it's melded into a very interesting action packed plot. Both of the aspects of the stories - the romance and the actual plot - are great.

If you read manga, I've got a few recs I can give you.

7. Zeelthor

I generally avoid anything manga/anime-ish but if the quality is there, I've got no objections.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, here are a few more Frozen fics:

Proper Posture
    Lesson One
    Love and Anarchy are one-shots written by Moczo, all of them Frozen/Brave crossovers, petty much shipping Elsa and Meridia. Well written, funny and sweet.

Moczo is the same author who wrote Chaos Theory, Uninvited Guests and a lot of really funny Fate Stay Night one shots, so, humour is pretty much guaranteed, since I haven't come across a funnier author on fanfiction.net.

Courtship of the Gradstudent by Seigetsu Ren. In the same vain as the Drum major one, not particularly well written, just another fluffy modern AU with Anna and Elsa not being related.

Might post more in the next few days. Rewatched Frozen recently, so, back to looking for stories.

9. Zeelthor

It's a real shame that Elsa is Suffering is unfinished.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It really is. And our desperate yearning to see it finished has us reading B-grade Frozen yuri fics instead. =(

11. Zeelthor

Yeah. Maybe one of these days someone here should write a good fic on that topic. Just throwing that out there. :p

12. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

Stolen Ice

Summary:
    Anna had never known her family. So she bonded with the images, the families forever together, immortalized in their frames. Elsa couldn't remember who she was looking for, not since the accident. But she'd be able to find that person, if she tracked hard enough, got enough money, conned enough demons. Modern AU. Eventual Elsanna.

Another modern AU that's pretty good. I actually enjoyed it more in a lot of ways than r9kElsa is Suffering, primarily because it has action and isn't just relationship drama. Elsa has computer/electricity powers instead of ice. It is incest as well, although neither know it.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can anyone recommend something that isn't incest? Something that actually doesn't shit all over the theme of sisterhood. All these Elsanna fics are basically saying that shipping is so important that if all you're given for main characters are sisters then you'll just have to hook them up.

Also good:

- Fics which explore the late 18th century setting.
    - Fics which explore the alternate history where fairy tale magic is real that Frozen and Tangled occupy.
    - Fics which don't just retread the themes and conflicts of Frozen and do something that's new and interesting.
    - Fics with a plot, not just romance.
    - Fics that don't have How to Train Your Dragon elements.

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hah, I've not read any of these for the same reason. I feel like it'd pervert one of the best aspects of the source material for me.

I've been waiting for someone to write a fic that has a hostile enemy kingdom headed by another 'sorcerer'.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Stopped following Stolen Ice a while ago about the time they went to Amsterdam. Gets updated a lot. Was pretty much a terrible guilty pleasure to start with, and then just became painfully embarrassing to read.

@Taure: You're right in saying most of these pics basically shit on the source theme. They're all modern AUs that basically have nothing to do with the original. Most of them have fairly different characters too - only the names remain the same.

r9kElsa should just change the names and call itself a piece of original fiction and I'd feel better reccing it to people.

Despite the popularity of the movie, doesn't seem like the fanfiction community has really adopted it for anything more than a character sandbox for Yuri/femslash.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, Frozen : The Snow Queen and especially its sequel The Snow Queen : Love and Duty are pretty much the only two stories that I've found so far that would fit your description and both of them were already recced in the thread.

There is one more story that kinda fits, but, it's ... odd. Interesting, but odd. Written rather unconventionally, with a rather horrible take on the Frozen characters. The theme of sisterhood is more prevalent, true, but the individual characters of Anna and Elsa are pretty much destroyed, unless you are willing to accept that Elsa and Anna are both capable to kill a truly frightening amount of people.

Ice on the Rhine written by IamInferior

Basically, a long and wide take on a pseudo history of Europe if Tangled and Frozen had been real, mixing politics, politicians and historic events with fictional ones. It also jumps quite often in time and many chapters are just descriptions of the time and age they are in or follow throwaway characters from different points in time. Like, one chapter is just a school essay on history from some random student with the teachers comment, or a father taking a trip with his children and comments on a statue of Empress Rapunzel who lived a hundred or so years ago and tells them a bit about the history.

It is interesting to read, but it doesn't really follow a main character and there is no real story per se, just snippets and shots of the world how it develops but it is quite fun to see how Napoleon's wars would have gone if he had the support of Elsa, for example. One part that I disliked here was that Elsa's powers weren't really used to their full extent, for no real reason. Nevertheless, worth a read though. Just, Elsa, and especially Anna are rather different.

Pygmalion written by KaleidoscopeKreation

Interesting one-shot, in which Anna is a bit too late and Hans kills Elsa, taking Anna's ice statue as atrophy after he takes over.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Yeah, give me something with a Titania to Elsa's Mab.

18. Zeelthor

On the topic of good femslash fics, you can always check out Geonn's work. Lots of on Archiveofourown. Most of it is original, but there's DF fics and all kinds of stuff. Quality's pretty high.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Yes. These, so much. The second one involves Elsa and international politics.

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I've considered an actual DF crossover where Elsa was Mab, or at least a younger, mortal Mab, while Anna was Titania. It would involve futzing with the timelines some, too, but eh. Might give some more thought to it later.