1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[FRPG] National Crime Shadow

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nauro, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

This is the main thread of the Forum RPG „National Crime Shadow“ about human mafia being over their heads in the weird stuff of the world. The scene is Seattle, and humans might be worse than those lurking in the shadows.

If you are in this thread, you might have come here with two reasons – to play or to watch. If you don‘t know what I‘m talking about, stop reading this thread, and go take a look here and there.

Before proceeding further, we have to establish a few simple things.

If you are here to watch, do exactly that. Watch. On any questions, go there and don’t post directly here. Thanks.

If you are here to play, remember these guidelines:
    1. If you have a character in the Character thread that has my thumbs up or you have received a personal message confirming that you’re in, you are free to post here.
    2. It’s a game. There is your character and you. You live wherever you do, and your character lives in a game.
    3. It’s about world of darkness. If you’re afraid of blood, violence and betrayal, what are you doing on the internet? That said, it’s technically an M rated game, but there is no need to try to be too much violent. The world is dark enough.
    4. Your characters are going to get hurt, and half of you might not see the end of the game. Don’t try to kill each other without a really good reason. (“I want to” isn’t a really good reason.) Of course, arguing is fine
    5. This is a forum game, which means it’s slower. A solution is to type more than two lines per post, but don’t write pages, alright?
    6. We’ll learn character names very quickly, or forget them very fast. It is a good idea, if you’re writing about your character in fist person, leave a character name at the bottom. Those writing in third person usually cover it somewhere in the post.

If there are any questions, ask them only there.
    If you want to post something not related to the game or you are not playing but want to post, go there and post.

Whenever posting, think what the character you are playing would do in the situation, and then react, think, comment, ask and doubt.

The characters have been working together for at least half a year and do know each other, and if there are fewer players than 8 shadow cell members, we’ll simply say that the others are at another city doing some task or the other.

As not to split the party too much, if you haven’t commented or explicitly said anything against the ideas and plans, your characters are going together with others.

A note on Seattle map
    There won’t be an exact map, only a few places mentioned, unless there a need somehow arises, then, I’ll probably end up using Google maps for random address, but mostly we’ll probably stick to just stating the region and not an exact address.

And now, finally, the reason why we have gathered here.

--

--

--

--
    Seattle 2012 – 05 – 31
    Central Business District, 21:45

One of the conference rooms in a small front company, reserved for a late meeting.​

Diego Rossellini is pacing around the room talking with his phone, made-men of the Shadow Cell gathering in the room.

“Bullshit! Jan, you know as well as I do, it was just a distraction.” Diego walks nearer the window, and looks outside for a few moments. “Have you called Evan?” Diego hits the nearby table after listening for a minute. “And what did they say?” He paces some more. “Varric isn’t going to be happy with you Jan. Hell, I’m not happy with you.” His eyes are watching the cars in the street. “Leave a few boys to drag out the car. I’ll send my men, should be there after two hours… Yes, if something else happens I want to know that very moment.”

Diego throws the phone on the table, with a loud clatter, and turns towards you.

“I’m sorry for calling you here so suddenly, but we have a situation on our hands, that requires your expertise. As you might have heard, the first Shadow Cell, has gone dark two days ago, so you must exercise caution.”

He takes out an envelope, takes out a couple of photos and slides them towards you. There are a few photo’s of the harbor, a few of them from the security cameras, showing a man climbing out of the huge shipping container, and then sitting in a grey car, which numbers are invisible in the shot. The man is seen wearing a battered grey shirt and old jeans. His face is hard to make out, in all but one photo – there a slightly greenish tint of the skin with pulsing veins visible all over the face, as well as a broken looking nose and dark green eyes. His black hair is short and messy, unwashed.

“This is ‘Helios’. His face is some kind of skin condition. He once tried to make his way into the family, but turned out to be a mole,” Diego informs with spite in his voice. “We thought that we got him four years ago. Three bullets through the chest and one in the neck. However, his body fell into the Lake Washington and we never found it. Now he’s walking like nothing happened. The first Cell’s job was to kill him. Yours is to find out why they failed and correct that mistake. If you find out what happened to the first Cell, all the better. Be careful, Helios knows about our family more than we would like him to.

“Yesterday morning, there was a shootout not far from here, in the University District. Jan thinks it was a threat to us, but not one member of the family was directly involved, so our best bet is that it was a distraction, to keep the police focused the vicinity of one of our hideouts.

“At probably around the same time, Evan informed us that he had some news to tell us, however, after his call was made, he disappeared. Around an hour ago, his car was found in the Lake Washington, on the edge of Saint Edward Park, and I want you to take a look before the police and press. There are a few of our guys at the scene; they’ll take care of dragging it out.

“Any questions?”

(It is around an hour drive to the place where Evan's car was found)

--
    Notes on names, as with each first appearances:
    Preston Varric – the big boss
    Diego Rosselini - the left hand of boss
    Jan Peterson – some contact of Diego’s.
    Evan Klein – an honorary associate of the family, informant
    Helios – a man that should be dead, but isn’t
    The first shadow cell - Antonio, Alonzo, Riccardo and Pietro

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Yeah, I got a question. What the hell kinda disease can make a guy look like that?" I ask with a grimace. "Looks like he's been doin' some fucked up drugs to get that bad."

I take a closer look at some of the photos, seeing nothing else of interest. "Any idea where this Heli-whatsit guy could be hiding out?"

I take another moment to think. "And this Evan guy, was he in the car or not?"

3. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Diego shruggs. "I don't really care what kind of weed that guy smokes, but he did have some pills with him once or twice. A good thought though, Devon. We'll have to look if he's buying or selling again. That is, you'll have to look for it.

"If my sources find anything else, I'll inform you.

"Our best bet is finding Evan, though. He said that he knows something and that mens that he does." Diego glances at the window again. "If he isn't feeding the fishes - they did say that there's two passengers in the car."

Diego takes the phone back from the table and starts messing with the buttons, probably writing a message. "The boys at the site might not recognise him - you should, though. You remember him, right? He was there a month ago at Preston's little gathering of family members and friends - brown hair, dark grey eyes, had a tatoo of guitar strings on his left arm?"

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

I snorted, leaning back in my seat and crossing an ankle over a knee.

"Yeah, I remember him. Bit of a prick. Want me to try to run interference with the press when they show up? Try to buy us a bit of maneuvering room?"

Running a hand through my hair, I turned to Devon. "And man, you should see the shit the Russians are putting in themselves these days. That's... honestly not that bad."

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"If they show up before you take a good look, yes, try to stall." Diego snorts. "You should know that much yourselves. We've taken a few steps to coceal the place better, but it is a matter of time till someone interferes."

6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I pick up the photos to get a better look at them. "Considering his failure to die properly last time, what did the First Cell take with them to make sure Helios remained six feet under?"

"And who ever did the original hit was a sloppy fuck." I glance at Diego. "Who was it assigned to?"

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"Alonzo, from the first Cell," Diego grunts. "He said he would make sure he cuts of the head or burns the fucker this time. In his own words, 'I'll cut his head off and see if that works'. Pietro suggested burning. In any case, Helios was seen during the day, so he might not even be anything special, so a simple well placed bullet should do the trick. Still, be on your guard."

Also, on a closer inspection of the pictures you notice that he does have a bullet scar on the side of his neck.

8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I look over Jerry's shoulder.

"Who did the follow up to be sure he was dead? Or did they just leave him in the river and walk away? That's sloppy work." I mumble.

"May I take a closer look Jerry?"

I pull out my cellphone to make a call to local areas, just to see if anyone matching his description has been seen lately. I give the excuse that he may fit a clinical trial I'm doing on old scars.

-Connor McCroft.

9. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"He fell into the lake and even when they searched for him, they couldn't find the body."

Connor makes a few calls, but no one seems to know anything about any similar cases.
    (I've sent a few more lines via pm. )

(After a few more questions, if there are any, I'll simply move the scene to driving/Evan's car. Or someone could simply say that everyone are going somewhere)

10. BriAn

BriAn Squib

"Do you have any idea what kind of information Evan has?" I ask while rubbing my chin. "And if we can't find him, do we have any other way to find this Helios guy?"

Then I took a look at the photo and said, "Sloppy or not, three shots to the chest and another in the neck should be an effective way of killing someone. The only real flaw was that they didn't find the body, but there wasn't to much they could do about that. How the hell did he survive that?"

--Mark Lin

11. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"Only that it has to do with Helios and it seemed important to Evan." Diego spins the phone between his fingers, slightly nervous. "I don't really like to admit it, but Evan has an in with a few channels the family doesn't, and he never failed us yet. I'd hate it if he's out - we'd loose a good information source. If Evan is dead, well, we'll probably have to break the agreement to leave his cab firm alone - he has to keep some kind of notes somewhere, or there must be someone who knows something.
    Otherwhise, looking for Helios should be the same how you'd look for any other man - make a few calls, drag out a few strings and follow them untill he hangs."

Diego stops fidling with the phone. "If you don't have anything else, I'd suggest you get a move on the lead, else we lose it to the cops, or the press - don't know which would be worse."

12. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

I stand up, cracking my neck, and toss a nod to Diego. "Alright. Say, if the people who Helios first approached back when he was trying to move in on us are still around, would you please have someone shoot me their contact information?"

13. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"The problem is - most of those are dead or knew him only for a week or two." Diego nods back only slightly. "We had to move a few boys around after we tried to kill Helios to fit the gaps. Maybe somebody still remembers him from the associate wanabees in the streets." A look at Jerry. "You could make a few calls yourselves."

Diego gestures you all towards the door, letting you take the photos.
    "If something new pops up, inform me, and I'll do the same."

When you are leave the conference room, you see a woman waiting to enter. She's average looking, dressed in a dark grey suit with pants instead of skirt, looks like she has a little italian blood, but it's not like it's easy to be sure. You have't seen her before, yet Diego gestures for her to come in and asks her to close the door as she does. In italian.

The conference room is sound-proof with a reason, so after the door is closed it's nearly impossible to make out anything beside the fact that there is a conversation.

Seattle 2012-05-31
    The edge of Saint Edward Park, 23:36

Near the Evan's car​

It takes an hour and a half to drive to the place, as there is only a slightly roundabout way of reaching the edge of the park you need. After passing a few lots of private houses, you notice that the further approach is blocked with a grey car. It stands at the edge of the park, and there are two guys standing there, smoking, one is sitting in the car.
    By the description you have, you'd have to pass the interfering car, and drive (or walk) a hundred meters or so in a park road (not really designes for cars, but a car can fit if needed) to reach the place where Evan's car should be.

14. BriAn

BriAn Squib

I look out at the grey car and the two guys smoking by it. I made sure that my gun was loaded and then put it back on my hip. I left the car and walked to the two men over by the grey car. I stopped moving once I got close enough for the two men to hear me clearly.

"Excuse me, I need to go down that road. If it isn't any problem, could you move your car so I can go down that road?" I asked calmly with my hands fairly close to my gun, ready for a bad situation.

-Mark Lin

15. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

One of them turns slightly towards the other. "Jack, is it a problem?"

"The fuck you are babling about?" Jack grinns viciously at Mark Lin. "What are you, a cop or a pus-" He stopps mid sentence and glances at the rest of you. "Fuck, sorry, man." He taps the window of the grey car a few times. "We'll move it. But the road ahead is a little fucked up."

The guy inside starts fiddling with the engine, at lest it looks like he is.

All three of them look on edge.

Further along, theres a sound of an engine working in the park, muffled by the atempts to start the grey car.
    ---
    Jack - some guy with black beard and a foul mouth

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Somethin' don't feel right here," I growl out as my eyes sweep the landscape. "Somethin's got these guys spooked an' I don't like it."

I double check my gun as well and chamber a round so that I'm ready for action.

"Keep an eye out, we might not be the first ones here..."

17. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

A thing you notice quite fast - is that the guys look more concerned more about you, than they look scared of the dankness. Their gazes constantly shift towards you, but never meet the eyes, and they move the car as much out of the way as possible in the road, and turn off the engine.

There are a few words exchanged between the driver and Jack, but only curse words are louder than a whisper.

The road ahead is a road in the park - it's dark, being the middle of the night, and the trees are slightly swaying in the wind. The road looks just wide enough to fit a car through, but would leave lots of scratches on the side - there are bushes with pointy branches alongside the way. Also, it would be a bumpy ride. The road itself is mostly gravel and mud.*

The ground is slightly wet and there are visible two trails of car tracks. One looks older, smaller, and the newer ones are fat tires of a bigger car - a jeep, probably. There are lot's of broken branches littered on the way.

With the Jack and his friends car engine down, it's now easy to hear some engine in the vicinity working, as well as a loud splashing of water.

Do you take the cars or travel on foot?

Also, Jack looks at your direction ready, either afraid or waiting for orders. His pose is him trying to look as non-threatening as possible. With a beard covering the most of his face, and it being quite dark, it isn't the best attempt.

kind of like this, only at night and violated by cars. By the way, it's from google maps and somewhere relevant ;D

18. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I turn and look at Jack. "Have you let anyone else pass on through?"

As I'm speaking to him, I also take out my pistol, make sure the safety is off, and chamber a round.

19. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

"Nobody."Jack visibly relaxes after hearing Jerry speak to him. "But are they taking a fucking long time to drag the car out. Should have been done fifteen minutes ago. Do you need support? Think some fucker is going to try a jump us?"

There is another splashing sound in the vicinity, again.
    The engine in the park falls silent.

Do you you stay and wait, move on foot or go by car?*
    It should be a hundred meters or so.

--
    *the default, of course is to stay

20. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I look at his friend, trying to scrutinize him.

"Hey buddy, you alright in there?" I ask.

-Connor McCroft