1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fullmetal Alchemist?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Scott, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah, does anybody know any really good FMA fanfics? Edward being the main character and of course no slash.

I've looked and read some but can never find any really good ones, which is a shame. I also heard some good things from 'He Who Searches For Himself' but haven't read yet, is it good?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Try Indebted by velf. It's got two OCs as part of the main cast, but they aren't all that annoying for the most part, even if they do get a bit mary-sue-ish from time to time. It starts with Ed somehow in the modern Europe, then he makes his way back to Amestris and goes beyond. When I last read it, it had some 100 chapters, decent grammar and all.

Hope that helps.

3. jackie0109

jackie0109 Backtraced

All i can say is FMA is a nice anime...
    i have a DVD of it from the begging to the end...
    it is awesome...
    lot of twist and drama....
    makes my heart bleed lol...
    the story is fantastic...^_^

4. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Seeking the Incomplete by Marz1
    Summery
    : Willow attempts to use alchemy to bring Buffy back from the dead and the Slayer ends up in Amestris. A crossover with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Invert by Marz1
    Summery
    : While investigating a bizarre alchemical structure, the Elric brothers get pulled into the Potterverse early on in an AU version of Deathly Hallows. In the interest of finding a way home, Ed lends his talents to the Horcrux hunt while Al finds ways to keep himself busy at Hogwarts.

Look here! :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  5. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Damn, Anya, that's a lot of slash, every other fic on that Tvtrope list is a Roy/male pairing.

6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Not like I put it together, ZeroTheDestroyer. I recommended the ones that I read and liked. The tvtropes link is just a ref to where I found them.

7. Scott

Well thanks anyway. I'll be sure to check out the crossover with BTVS fic, although I am a little reluctant--it being a crossover and all (which I'm not to fond of). And I'll give that website a look, hopefully they have some more good ones in there that aren't slash.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Don't Forget is a pretty good one.

Follows Winry when she follows Ed and Al through the gate. It then spends like 5 chapters of Winry evading the bad-guy (Roy proxy) and getting to Ed. Ed's been trying to keep Roy proxy from getting the A-Bomb that came into the world with the guy from the movie while also foiling his plans to take over Germany and the Nazi party. I think it's set in the early-mid 20s, maybe even the late 20s.

It's a good read though and the author has a firm grasp on the English language with barely any mistakes. It's coherent and the character growth is believable.

9. Scott

Know any more, anybody?

10. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

My favorite Fullmetal Alchemist story is The Drachman War. Great, realistic war story. It's a post-canon plot, but it doesn't really depend on the anime/manga for plot.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4196849/1/The_Drachman_War

I really like it. Don't bother reading the sequels, they're terrible compared to it.

11. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

If you're still interested. . .

Fullmetal Alchemist: Journey for the Truth » reviews
    Truth gave Edward a cold smile. Wants are irrelivent. Choice is an illusion. Don't go thinking about the why's when they mean nothing. After all, Little Fool, nothing is bigger than the personal.
    Fullmetal Alchemist - Rated: T - English - Adventure/Fantasy - Chapters: 3 - Words: 33,335 - Reviews: 12 - Updated: 11-11-09 - Published: 7-31-07 - Edward E. & Rose

And yes, I do know she misspelled a word in the summary.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and really enjoyed it. I need to read the manga soon, and I might even give the 2003 anime series (which I got bored of years ago when I tried watching it) another try.

Anyway, it seems like there would be plenty of room to write some fanfic in this Universe without running into canon issues.

My first stop was Fanfiction.net where I searched for any stories with Roy Mustang listed as a character, all ratings, and >100k words. I found the Military sub-plots in the anime more interesting than the main plot with Ed trying to get their bodies back, so that seemed like a good way to get my results to a reasonable number.

But wow is there a LOT of crap out there.

I've tried several things on ffnet ranging from a re-telling from Roy's perspective (which ended up just being a lot of badly written Roy/Riza sex) to Roy-adopts-Ed (except Ed is acting as if he's 8 instead of 15 which pissed me off).

I didn't find anything that was able to keep my interest for more than 20% of the story, so nothing to even put in "Almost Recommended." :(

I'm going to try all the ones listed in here, but I wanted to BUMP the thread to see if I could tease out some more recommendations.

I'm not interested in slash. I'm only interested in stories taking place after the anime/manga if it's really, really good because I like the situations/characters/ages in the show (or before it). I found the sub-plots with Roy and the military more interesting than the main plots with Ed and Al and I also thought those characters were more fun.

I glanced through here and didn't see any FMA fics, but let me know if I missed some.

13. Scott

Bumping this one too. Wondering if anyone has found any worthwhile fics? Same requirements as last time still (for me atleast) as in, Ed being the main character and no slash. I don't care if the setting is after the series ended or in between.

It can be based of Brotherhood, the Orginal or the Manga (although FMAB is my favorite and I haven't read the Manga). Shoot, I don't even care if it's. Crossover as long as it's well done.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

And here comes my bump as well. I finished watching FMA: Brotherhood yesterday and fell in love with the universe.

I would love to read stories set in this world.

15. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

16. Ched

Can you give a better description of this than the summary manages in terms of what it does compared to canon?

Are Ed and Al still partners doing their own thing? Is Al back home while Ed is more entrenched in the military?

I guess before I dive in I want the equivalent of whether this is a Hogwarts redo fic, a massive AU, a 5th year fic where Harry gets completely new friends at Durmstrang, etc. The summary doesn't give me enough information to want to read it.

As for recs... I've read a handful but none of them worth recommending.

There was one, years ago, that I thought was solid. Basically reversed the roles of Ed and Al (Ed lost his body, Al became the State Alchemist, etc) and it did a pretty good job of exploring how the two boys with their different personalities would have caused changes to the story progression. Things changed early on and they changed quickly. The story was abandoned just as the butterfly effects started to show major effects and then it was taken down (i.e. the story got too hard to write once the initial idea was out there I suspect).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  17. Eimim

Eimim First Year

Unfortunately I only have crossovers to recommend.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7500444
    A Fullmetal alchemist and Harry dresden crossover

Summary:

It’s not so much the strange children falling from the sky that are worrying Harry. It’s more that the children don’t seem to think the situation is all that weird.

“No matter where I go,” Ed said thoughtfully, “there’s a goddamn pyromaniac there waiting for me.”

https://archiveofourown.org/works/6870892/chapters/15678928
    Roy sentric, Harry Potter crossover

Summary:
    When Roy Mustang went to retrieve his eyesight from Truth, he wasn’t expecting to end up doing a job in exchange. It couldn’t even be an easy job, of course, because Edward’s assessment of Truth was a pretty accurate one.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/12621920/chapters/28757680
    Fullmetal alchemist and Captain America crossover

Summary:
    None of the guys knew what to think the day a foul-mouthed kid was tossed in the cell with the rest of them. The cussin’ wasn’t a problem, so much as the fact that the little punk was doin’ it in fluent German. What the hell were the Krauts doing throwing in one of theirs with the rest of them?

18. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

If I was gonna categorize by fanfic trope I'd call it a massive AU. Not because it actually is a hugely divergent universe, but because the focus of the fic is so different from canon so it's a very different experience.

This is not Ed and Al having adventures along their quest to restore Al's body. Winry and Al are back home. It's not quite military sci fi, but it has plenty of the trappings of one as it sets up the mystery Mustang, Hawkeye, and Ed are trying to figure out, and the whole thing is happening in the context of a military campaign and rooted in that. This is primarily the story of Mustang and Ed trying to survive/fight a war.

It's very well written and I enjoyed it a lot, but you have to be interested in that premise.

19. Ched

If they got Mustang’s characterization right from the manga/brotherhood then I’d be up for that. Pretty dependent on him feeling accurate.
    I’ll give it a go - thanks for that excellent summation.

20. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

Replying because it would be a shame if someone skipped out on the story due to lack of description.

Scott submitted the story to the library in 2018 so I recommend reading the the endorsements/lamentations over there.

I gave it a 5/5 then, but in retrospect it can get somewhat slow at times (so 4/5 now).