1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Game and Variant List

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vesvius, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was nearly burned out when I had to take Batmafia over from Zeit.

Then I exploded - FNK at the same time, etc. :\

LOL Fiat, SW1?

2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Oh, and another thing. I've been considering running a 13 player straight up "Are You a Werewolf" game. 10 Townspeople, 2 Werewolves, 1 Seer. The only restriction would be you would have to have played in two or less previous games. I figure it could be a way for people who want to try it out to get a shot without all of the complications. Thoughts?

3. Lungs

High Score:
    That's not a bad idea at all, to be honest. I can think of a bunch of people who didn't get into the games who would love it, I think.

Kai says seers are -ev, but I think they're great for new players to learn with, etc.

It would be easy too - 24 hour days, 24 hour nights. 2 Night actions to take care of.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's one thing that's been bugging me all these games. What the hell do +ev and -ev stand for? I'd have assumed positive/negative if they were +ve/-ve, but they're not, so what gives?

Also, it seems I don't suffer burnout. How about we set up a casual game a la what Vesvius suggested for those who want to play but aren't up for one of our usual uber serious games? Or hell, just get werebot going again.

5. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Seer is Werewolf's priest equivalent...

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'm not the one who uses it(KaiDASH), but I think they stand for something synonymous with "estimated value"

7. Lungs

High Score:
    Right, different kind of seer, I was thinking of (the ability to know if scum were in votes)

embarassedface.jpg

8. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

(plus) expected value, (minus) expected value for +ev/-ev.

Seer (vote counting) is anti-fun.

Imo no point running a dead simple game (irc is for vanilla/priest/vanilla!scum setups anyway), take advantage of the forum setup/easier communication and have at least some more roles.

Mafia free month is not A Thing as long as people still want to play (and no, a few people on irc is not a significant amount/majority at all).

Games have gotten 'meta' because using meta against good players is the easy way out. This will keep on happening until people refuse to give in to such play. It's a 'problem' that is only fixable by the players and not something ridiculous like not playing at all.

9. Lungs

High Score:
    Don't other sites use alts? :\

10. KaiDASH

Maybe? What's that got to do with anything.

11. Lungs

High Score:
    Well, if we have alt accounts, it would be somewhat more difficult to identify people - of course, those of us who've played alot would be victims of analysis as to how we post, etc... but otherwise, especially with the newer players and lurkers, there need not be much metagaming.

12. KaiDASH

Not interested in peoplehunt.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Metagaming is something that WILL happen, no matter how hard you try to discourage it. It's not that it's an easy way out - it's just how the human mind works. We can't ignore what we've seen. You could ban it from the thread I guess, but people will still use it to make their decisions.

I'd be up for this. I've been wanting to give Mafia a shot, but most of the recent games have been overly complicated (HoT, FNK) or I've just missed the sign-ups.

14. KaiDASH

Sure, it happens, I'm not saying that it won't, but currently the extent of it (against certain players) is using meta to make decisions at the exclusion of basically everything else.

And that is the easy way out because it means playing the game by rote instead of actually thinking about what's been said in the thread.

15. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

One: FNK was not Mafia. Both me and Lutris made sure that Lungs made this clear.

Two: Metagaming in the way people always have is one thing. It's kind of acceptable. Then there's the current trend of "We can't trust Kai" or "Irene is too dangerous" or "By using Red Truth I am undoubtedly verifying that I am telling the truth."

16. Lungs

High Score:
    K, FNK wasn't mafia. D8

17. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The more I think about it, the more I do like the idea of a back to basics game. It would give some new people practice plotting homicide in a forum setting and also be much simpler to run. I'll probably get on that if there's enough interest. Making a seperate thread for it now.

And as for the mafialess month, my thought process was that some regulars would like a break but don't want to miss any big games. Hence, enforced break. Had nothing to do with Metagaming on my end.

18. KaiDASH

The only person who brings meta (and related concepts) up every 5 minutes is lungs.

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I want to make it clear that while any of you are of course free to not play mafia, 'mafiafree month' is not a thing. Take your break and allow new people to play this time. Well, new people and Kai and I.

20. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I will be also down to play any mafia games which start after two weeks.