1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"Game" Stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by tragicmat1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

So, I'm looking for stories that has the whole character is actually in a video game.

Basically all the Naruto Game of the Year edition etc. I don't really care what fandom it's in, (Naruto, HP, Bleach), but I really want to see if there's one where the character actually does something new. (For example, a common one would be the characters could always pick these "avatars" but never do.)

I've read
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8052743/1/Harry-Potter-Game-of-the-Year-Edition
    Naruto - Game of the Year Edition
    Naruto- Ramen Days.

I'm not sure if there's much more besides those, but it would be cool if there are. (I don't care if it's short, as long as it's worth reading.)

2. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    You actually like that ridiculous Naru/Hina drivel? D8

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The 'Tabula Avatar' series by Speakertocustomers. It's a Buffy/Baldur's Gate 2 crossover.

I started reading TA thinking that it was a crossover with the BG2 universe and story, and then only Dawn could see traps as glowing stuff marked out on the ground [Gasp! She must be a rogue/thief class!], and I abruptly dropped the fic because it was a crossover with the game and not just the 'verse.

My loss is your gain.

The series has become quite large. 600k+ words. It looks like Stargate crosses into it at one point too.

4. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

They definitely aren't great stories, and I would never recommend them to anyone. Still, sometimes I just get into a "want to read this type of stories." Anyways, I'll check out that link, thanks yak.

5. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

A Naruto one, that hasn't been too bad.

Another Naruto one, worse than the others, imo opinion, but readable, I guess.

Also, one that's been abandoned, (Naruto) but is readable.

And then I saw that you hadn't read, what I think is the first of this kind of fic, which is by Chibi-reaper.

You know, I once thought about writing one of these types of fic, but, you know, not make it suck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Argh! Where's the HP one you mentioned? The one you linked is a Naruto fic. First chapter is sorta okay too. The characterisation was unrealistic, it was a bit cracky, but it didn't make me want to murder anyone either.

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And Naruto would know what video game is ... how exactly?

A stretch, but I guess you gave fair warning.

In general, while this premise is in general very interesting, I have not seen it done well so far. Harry/Naruto always starts over exactly as he did in canon, even though he has unlocked Dragonslayer/Master Of Death/Hokage/Jinchuuriki skins or versions, when any one of those would make such a story x10 times more interesting.

I'd be pretty hyped if someone good were to start a story of this sort.

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

He might. They've got television, computers and video cameras. Kishi mentioned in an interview somewhere that the computers would maybe be 8-bit, so they could have 8-bit video game consoles like the NES.

10. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Urk, damnit. My luck with links has been pretty awful lately. I got confused with titles, as I remember a HP one with a similar title, but I can't seem to find I also blame my pink eye, for not being able to tell that was a Naruto fic from my alert list. Really should have read a couple lines to make sure it was the story I thought it was. Also, a lack of sleep, having been up for more than 24 hours. *Excuses*

I do think I can find at least one more HP fic of this type, but I don't remember that one being too long, and it probably updated hella long ago, so it's probably a dropped fic.

Wasn't there also a HP-GotY fic in WBA, too?

EDIT: Right, so found that second HP fic I was talkin bout. Still can't seem to find the first one. This is as short as I remember it, and lasted updated in 2011, so yeah.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I shamelessly take back my earlier statement. As of chapter ~14, this seems surprisingly well-made. Refreshing, even.

12. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I haven't read that yet, because when I took a glance, half of the chapter for every single chapter consists of character stats :S But, I will give it a try with this statement once more :p Also, thanks everyone for the links so far.

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, this is apparently being deleted, so If you were going to, I'd read it while you can. Not that it's very sad to see it go. Apparently may also get a rewrite in the future.

Anyway, I've actually been putting some thought into maybe, just maybe actually kinda sorta trying to write a HP version of these kinds of fic. Obviously, I'd hope to not suck and avoid a few cliches of the genre, but overall, if I do actually attempt it, it'll probably be more for actually improving my own writing.

I used to write a lot, but never published anything, because w/e I wrote was never up to my standards, and when I'd go back to fix it, things would just..spiral, until what I was left with made no sense. Combined with my Chemotherapy addled brain, and concentrating on one idea for a fic has become almost impossible. However, this kind of fic seems like it'd be a good way kind of get back on track. (I.e, if I get too bored, New Game!)

So yeah, no guarantees, but I'm definitely putting thought into it. Though I may have to consult someone/people about a magic system if I do it. Seriously though, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted.