1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Games you wish had been more successful.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Shattered Galaxy and Conquest: Frontier Wars are the ones I put down, as well as Tachyon: The Fringe. All three were awesome games that, for one reason or another, didn't get the recognition they deserved.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Force Unleashed

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I can barely say anything about the latter two, aside from seeing one of my brothers play Conquest: Frontier Wars.

That being said, I played Shattered Galaxy for around 2 1/2 to 3 years. First as a new random, then a regiment member on the sub-planet, then of the same on the real planet. Then, that got deleted by the Faction Leader(douche >_>), and I was then part of the founding-eight of a new Regiment, passed over for leader when the original leader left, despite being the de-facto leader. Although it wasn't long before being made the actual leader, and that stayed the status quo for around a year and a half.

I had to leave the game for a bit to attend to things for about a month and a half, and apparently by that point, pretty much all of the 'Core' members had either stopped playing or left to finally join other regiments(some of the Elite-Only regiments had been trying to poach my Core members for a long time, and even myself, but we stayed faithful in our regiment, well, until then).

I'm rambling, but that game provided for many, many hours of entertainment. I think I only had around 7-8 resurrections under my belt by the end, but I still felt confident matching up against the likes of Einherjar in equal numbers with my regiment at my side. Tactis=Tech>Mech Apt.>Clout for me.

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Valkyria Chronicles.

PSP versions were just not up to par

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I can second that.

6. Sora

Sora First Year

This might not count because it was pretty successful, but Fallout New Vegas. It's basically Fallout 3 but better, and yet most people I speak to liked 3 more. Also, that one point off metacritic score. What a bummer that must have been for Obsidian.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I still want the psp VC games on vita though. Even the first one.

It was really annoying how #2 turned into a cliche school anime though.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed FNV, the quests and companions were both pretty interesting, and the Vaults were awesome as usual. It's just that the whole damn place is empty. In Fallout 3 you at least had buildings scattered about the place to break up the monotony, but in FNV you've only got desert, desert and more desert.

That's the biggest reason I prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

Also, the main quest after the major decision involving Mr House and Yes Man is a bit stale compared to the ones before it. Feels more like an after game story at that point.

9. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Tribes: Ascend.

I fucking love that game but the developers just said "fuck it" and moved to Smite.

Jon
  10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quality over quantity. I've been playing Fallout 3 again recently and I maintain that while Bethesda may have crammed more into their space, most of it was stupid as hell. Like the fucking vampires in the subway station.

I disagree, but even so, it's better than the Hollywood blockbuster wannabe story made out of cannibalized elements of the first two games that Bethesda shat out.

Speaking of undervalued Obsidian games, Knights of the Old Republic II.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Shattered Horizon; because after a while, just floating in space and shooting at bots gets really, really sad. I mean, at one point I just excluded the bots altogether and went silent running mode on my own.

Jet Set Radio; talking about the port that Sega did for Steam a while back. Maybe if it was more successful, they would have ported JSRF as well. Maybe they would have made another game in the series?

Warhammer 40k - Space Marine; now I have no idea if the game would have gotten a sequel had THQ not folded, but even so, I just wish it sold more copies (on PC) so I could have people to play Chaos Invasion with, rather than the same old stuff over and over. Even Dreadnought Assault gets dull with enough repetition.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic; it might have forced Ubisoft to let Arkane release that goddamn patch with the cut content they wanted to put in, instead of holding them back. We might have gotten more games like that even?

12. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

City of Heroes.

It had a ton of ground breaking ideas and no other MMO has come close to having character customisation that good, but it never really had the subscribers it needed to live up to all that potential.

Even with such a small (but extremely dedicated) player base, Paragon managed to hang in there for eight and a half years and add a ton of new content. It really makes me wonder what they could've done with more subscribers.

13. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Vampire: The Masquerade.

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Hellgate: London. Also, VTM:B like Zeelthor said. If both of the games had no been rushed out the door and given a few extra weeks, they should have been huge successes.

15. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Which might've led to more games. <3

16. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Starcraft 2.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Wot? Lol, SC2 is huge...

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bulletstorm. Game was awesome, and the most fun pure fun I've had with a game...ever, I think.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Pokemon Snap

20. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Slightly off topic, but for anyone unaware, here is the spiritual successor to CoH:

City of Titans

Essentially being made by the player base of CoH, but I have high hopes.