1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Impressions (Ghost Story Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

This could also arguably be extended to include oral traditions as well. The stories, tales and teachings of such are intended, and designed to be remembered. One could argue that the Archive's magic does recognize such as something to note.

There's no evidence that I've seen one way or the other for it, but it's definitely plausible.

2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Also otters. She likes otters.

I agree with you though.

Remember Dresden's inner thoughts right before he asked Lea what his mother had left him? Knowledge is the only real legacy that can be left to the next generation. No matter what else people have, if they have no idea what to do with it, they're fucked.

Hell, every post-apocalyptic, we've-moved-past-the-dark-age-of-technology-and-have-no-idea-how-this-shit-works story is that idea, expanded.

Ivy is the legacy of all of humanity. No, we don't know all the ins and outs and limits she has or even what her relative processing power is, but I guess that's part of the point - even someone who knows everything is still only human.

Humans are limited and flawed - that's one of the main themes of the series: everybody makes mistakes. Ivy's above every wizard on Earth in terms of raw power, and probably in terms of understanding how to use it, but she's not a god.

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always just held by my belief (and will until WoG says otherwise) that it is intent that drives EVERYTHING with magic in the Dresdenverse.

The Archive was intended to be a store of recorded knowledge. Therefore she is a backup of ALL stored knowledge. We could take it literally, and only written knowledge, but that goes against my initial belief.

I got it from the laws of magic, specifically, Do Not Kill With Magic. After a long discussion between several of us on the JimButcher boards (same username over there) about what constitutes killing, I ended up on the side that it doesn't matter whether the magic is the tool that does the killing or not (throwing them off a building is killing, although gravity is the tool; stopping their life is killing, as magic is the tool), but it is based on intent. As opposed to the other side which is that effect matters more than intent (knocking them off a building is killing, deliberate or not).

4. Nae

Nae The Violent

You're thinking too much into this Tehan. By your logic, she can't even know what knowledge there is in the world at present, because for that, she would have to understand every language currently in existence. And as much fun it is to fantasize about how she can't knows ciphers and heliographs, ultimately, it comes down to the fact that she just knows. Doesn't matter if the language was for an imaginary troll, or an NSA cryptologist. She knows the meaning behind all those words.

On the other hand, I can get behind your argument about human knowledge not being the perfect way to record the actual events. Still, magic or technology, human factor always accounts for errors. ;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I'm not saying that she's gotten the short end of the stick with all those examples I brought up, I'm saying that if you want to talk about what power Ivy has, you have to answer all those questions, and if your answer to every single one is 'she knows everything' you need a good smack upside the head. You can't just say 'magic did it', because Dresden Files demonstrates time and time again that magic has limits and rules.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Butcher himself hasn't quite nailed down the details of the Archive's powers, considering he's waffled on the topic of whether printouts count.

6. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No he actually has, you'd need to give me a bit to locate the quote but I'm sure I've seen him say that she gets absolutely everything even before they started writing things down including word of mouth and hieroglyphs and the like.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

From Dresden RPG (that is considered almost the canon since Jim is working with authors and actually didn't let them write some things, because they figured out details that weren't in the books yet):

8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If her bailiwick covers everything that's spoken, why'd Dresden have to write down the message that they were en route in Small Favor?

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Because we don't record things by verbally communicating anymore? That isn't a way we as a culture remember information.

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The whole thing is a mess, but again - I think intent is the most important bit. Things which are meant to be recorded, in whatever medium, the Archive will know.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is WoJ saying the exact opposite, I'm afraid, and killing without magic is perfectly fine compared to killing with it.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In the specific context of history, Ivy does have something of a huge advantage, since she wouldn't have the whole problem of ever losing a record. Most societies had plenty of writing among the elite upper class, it's just that 99.99% of that writing is gone a couple thousand years later.

I think Ivy's real problem would be the opposite; too much information (especially if oral histories/traditions are covered too). So, for example, Ivy would probably have an incredibly difficult time sorting out something like either of the World Wars, where she would have millions of different accounts from thousands of different perspectives to sort through.

13. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

IMO, part of her gift is the ability to actually sort out the underlying pattern in the world's texts, despite the potentially high "noise ratio."

The human mind is fairly well wired for this sort of thing; we can look at a very noisy digital image and at least have a rough idea of what we're looking at. How long is it going to be before a computer could be given that image, and output a comprehensible description of what it's seeing?

I believe Ivy can do this on a grand scale with the world's documented knowledge, and with more accuracy than normal humans can. To complete the analogy with the image I linked, it would be like her looking at that image, and not only describing the scene, but telling you exactly where that photo was taken. How? Magic. :awesome

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's the joy of Intellectus. You ask it a question and it just knows. it is like a database, in a way, but it's also so much more than that.

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The problem isn't having to deal with unrelated noise, it's the fact that having access to all of recorded human knowledge would often give her dozens of contradictory answers to the same question. Different records written by different people are going to have different answers to the same questions. The problem isn't getting an answer, it's getting 20 different answers and having to figure out which one is the right one.

Fridge Horror realization of the day: if Ivy has all the written knowledge of humanity, that includes stuff like Nazi propaganda.

16. Jon

...That means nothing.

Having all the knowledge ever written.

That means that if someone pisses her off enough she can bring back all the demonic gods that we've forgotten on purpose.

She could end the Oblivion War in one fell swoop.

And not for the good guys.

17. Agayek

You're missing Chengar's point.

What if she has thirty thousand different rituals to summon the Dark Gods? How the hell does she know which of those thirty thousand is the one correct ritual?

I mean hell, I could write a book explaining how to summon a Daemon Prince of Khorne, that doesn't mean it actually would work. The Archive would still know it however, and if I were to match my ritual closely with some other method of reaching beyond the Outer Gates, there wouldn't be a whole lot of evidence to prove it's incorrect.

It could be the magic of the Archive just removes that entirely, and she just knows what's true and what's false, but it is a valid concern.

18. Jon

She doesn't need any of the thirty rituals you twat.

All she needs is the knowledge of them and that's enough.

Hurpa fucking Durpa.

19. Agayek

Yet she has the knowledge of all of them ever written. How does she know which rituals are true and which ones are bogus shenanigans someone put down to look like they knew what they're doing?

The point is not whether or not she knows all the rituals, because we all know and agree she does. The problem lies in the fact that she knows all the rituals. It's much like historical documents, it's very, very hard to really tell when something is a true story, based on a true story or a complete fabrication.

Maybe a better example is how can she differentiate between a real magical tome or a dedicated D&D RPer's spellbook.

Just because she knows something does not mean that knowledge is useful, practical, or even true.

20. Jon

Alright, let me clarify.

The rituals? They mean shit all in the scenario I am describing. The simple knowledge of the beings is enough to bind them to Dresden's world, and fuck the entire world over. The mere knowledge of them being present in enough human minds if enough to doom them all.

Alright?

Good, glad you've got that through your thick head.

Now, let's clarify.

The Archive knows all that has been recorded, and understands it.

Now, extrapolating on this, The Archive would be able to comprehend and determine the out come of any ritual in it's memory, because you know, it fucking understands the components and what makes it work.