1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Not sure if we have the playerbase to support 20, but I'd like to try one out as well.

Do mafia moderators have to quit playing games?

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Batmafia is 30 players~ Tell your friends!

I don't feel they should but there should be VERY clear rules on what they can/cannot due in regards to anything concerning game talk/situations.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Suggestion: We should have a rule that states all Days should start and end at...say, 12pm PST (which is the fairest time for everyone, I think), so that the most people can be around for it in situations of last-minute cases. So even if the Night starts at, like 2am in the morning, the Day itself won't start until 12pm 24hrs later.
    Yes? No?

For an example of what I mean, look at what happened at WIFOM.

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Part of the problem with that is that it's more to the convenience of the game mod than the players. By setting a specific time that might not be most convenient to the game mod, it removes their ability to be flexible with the game state.

Plus, 12pm(Noon) PST is about 3pm my time and I'm at work and in no position to be starting a game at that time, which means most start of game posts would have to happen on the weekend when I'm busy with errands and real life.

The fact of the matter is, the time start is up to the game mod and if a player chooses to play than they should be prepared for it.

---------- Post automerged at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

It'd also be really cool if someone could unlock my AYAW2 thread as I've already asked in this thread and via PM but neither of the normal Italy Mods have responded.

Again I wonder why there isn't a third more active Moderator chosen.

5. Sloth

Could we maybe use this thread to decide the most convenient time? You're right about 3pm being bad for you, but surely 2 am in the morning is bad for everyone.

6. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

IMO, soft lynching *should* be in effect as to prevent something like this happening again (forgot to include it in B&T).

7. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

^kinda what ridley said to this, I'm more night time active so I typical do day start/end when its best for me. During those times I'm either at work or sleeping when I cant be around. If we did something like that we would have to have the players be aware of day end and do the vote count themself.

Personly I find that an easy way for scums to just banwagon someone and then lurk it out. I'm against *having* it. If a host wants to use it they can.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You could just not leave lynches to the last minute you know. If the deadline is at a bad time for you and you know it then it's your own fault if you aren't prepared beforehand.

9. Sloth

Would you call what happened on WIFOM not being prepared?
    ...I really hope it doesn't take that long to find a replacement. XD

Plus there's always something going on on the last few hours. At least for the first Days. This is not something that happens ocassionally because of a couple of lazy players.
    It happens literally every game.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

That's why we should have longer days, standardising deadlines wouldn't do shit to stop that.

Gimme week long day phases and you won't have that last minute scramble.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I realize you guys are keeping this as neutral as possible, but I'd prefer that people not discuss ongoing games in any way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  12. Sloth

Got it. It was basically an example. Any thoughts on the subject, Rubi?

13. ika

Please refrain from referring to wifom city while it is going on, it can be discussed postgame, if you would like to address it to the mod put it in your qt.

What rubi said..... He posted before me

Really it just goes back to bills point:

Even making it week long can still have the same outcome, a scramble for a deadline lynch.

Even putting in soft lynch isn't an answer:

It can be: "oh he has reached soft lynch, afk now"

14. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Hm, really? Eido's games all had soft lynch, and I don't recall much lurking (on the contrary, I've seen a bunch of swinging votes happen at deadline, on occasion).

I don't know how mod-applications work around here but I nominate fontisian for mafia mod-ship. She's always active.

15. ika

I just find its use can be too easily manipulated into scum favor.

Lurking, i agree hasn't been really a problem, but is still possible (remember hunger games?)

Deadline approaching, 2 players are up for lynch. Not enough time for really a hard lynch, scums can capsize on it to pile votes on a player and fake an excuse.

Also it allows scums to try to peg several towns into soft lynch range at once while they can just sit there and continue to just poke at both of them.

As for modship part, i agree if she up for it

16. Citrus

Citrus First Year

I think that's a much bigger problem on other sites.

17. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I like the idea of trying out the soft-lynch mechanic in a few games and seeing how it affects activity levels. The extension mechanic that was tried out Witchhunt 3 is also a possibility, though I thought it gave town an advantage in that game.

I'm up for modding if I'm needed.

18. Sloth

We're overcomplicating it, we could easily just set up a set of rules to keep it from being abused, rather than just assume it wil lbe and dismiss it.

I'm fine with Fonti for mod, she's an experienced player. My only problem is if it keeps her from playing, which I heard floating around for Zeit and Lexi.

Speaking of mod-activity, though, have either Zeit or Lexi been around at all to anyone's knowledge? 'Cause Riley asked that they unlock the Werewolf thread a few days ago and there hasn't been an answer from either.

---------- Post automerged at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

(Other mod possibilities are Bill, Moridin, and Prophy himself.)

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

If we want to keep Mods from playing I'd throw my hat in as I'm not really interested in being a player anymore.

Fonti would obviously be the better choice in terms of Mafia experience though.

20. Sloth

Edit: Whoops. How'd that happen?
    Removed and posted in the Funny Pics thread.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014