1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    You should ask Ika/Lexi about how to balance a game, kappa.

2. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

im always around for ballencing a game....

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Trolololol.

4. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

5. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

So, this week in Sloth Proposes Rules No One Wants to Do...

Given the unreliable mess that has been the modding in CYS so far, I think we should have more rigid rules to our modding system - I think mods should have 1 or 2 submods to every game (especially when they know how busy they are), so that we can be as assured as possible that someone will always be around to take care of moddy things like ending the day on time, opening the day on time, or when a lynch happens.

The Mod will always have the final say, but these submods can make these immediate calls.

I just think that after the lynch has been reached, it shouldn't take over 18 hours and counting before the mod finally shows up and ends the Day or flips. It's not fair for the players to sit around, town or scum.

Same issue with the players that actually show up when the Day is due to start and instead sit around for a few hours.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

You wanna talk about rules? How about not discussing ongoing games?

7. Sloth

Well put. Please, point to anything I said that doesn't apply to any game in general or otherwise compromises the integrity of the ongoing game and I'd be happy to remove it.

Otherwise, we can also post-pone this talk till after the current game? I'm flexible, really.

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Sloth is just bitter at the lack of obs ;p

9. Sloth

Does that mean you don't agree?
    But, again, discussion for later. XD

10. Citrus

Citrus First Year

I think it's ok to talk about something totally unrelated to game-content, right? I mean we're all adults here (I think?), granted obviously there should be some authority making sure no rules are broken, but it's a pretty shitty community when you basically assume people are going to abuse game knowledge. Hell, might as well be Big Brother and check PM's at that point.

As far as a general rule goes, I think it's reasonable to expect mods to monitor their games OR have a co-host that fills in when they can't. Hell, that should be a general requirement TO host in the first place.

To quote history, we've had a few games that completely fell apart because the host (who posted signup and declared they were the hosts of the game) was unable to monitor the game. We had Titus's game crash because at that (totally reasonable because IRL sometimes comes up and that's important, not saying Titus was in the wrong here). But I still think it's reasonable to have backup plans etc. in place to benefit the players that play games too. Otherwise it's just wasting everyone's time, and it's stuff like that that can start to kill a community. And I think part of that is rules such as "If a host misses something important within a reasonable time period, there should be accountability or some way to maintain the game." That's why we have 2 mods right?

In a hypothetical game, what if someone uses a day action? Are they just fucked to watch hours go by because there's noone to process the action if they're unlucky? That's when luck starts to creep in, and that's not what mafia is about is it?

Bit of a long message lol, yay for being a bit tipsy

11. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I'm not going to discuss an ongoing game with you while it's still running. It runs the risk of potentially sharing influence or information that the players will use as out of game information. Even if the risk is .01%, it's still a risk.

If you want to discuss moderation practices, such as why I do week long deadlines and why I'm not always around right away, then we can discuss that when the game has ended.

Until then, please don't make me have to delete posts that refer to the game. You will have your chance to say anything you want about the game wherever you want once it is finished.

12. Sloth

Fair enough. Postponing till post-game.

13. Citrus

Citrus First Year

^What Sloth said.

So more general mafia question: how does balancing for cult games work? My home site has had games with cults before, but the games there are horribly imbalanced when you introduce the play ability of people like those at DLP (at least in my opninion).

Do you have to introduce a lot of town killing roles? Holy towns that can smite the cult? Dismantling of the cult should the cult leader die? I'd love to play a strict cult game here as I don't think I've seen one yet, but I'm not sure if it's because it's horribly difficult to balance or just not what people think of first for forum mafia here

14. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I had one of these for Dresden where there were Town Wizards, Scum Red Court and then a sprinkling of Denarian/Knights of the Cross in there to make it four sided almost. I'm thinking of reviving and revamping it, if that tickles your fancy at all.

As for discussing rules regarding modding, I'm up for a discussion for it after Lexi's game if needed but I don't see why we can't have a general dicsusion about rules for Mods of future games, we can just use games from the past instead. For instance I always ask for a co-mod with my games as I know that I'll undoubtedly miss something crucial due to my work schedule/sleeping schedule. I think it's actually a very good rule of thumb that if you're going to run a game, to get a co-mod or at least designate someone who can halt game/pause the clock if needed.

15. ika

well seeing how we are both from there cirtus and the fact i host games still as well as plan on utalizinig cults.

Mafia theory talk first: cults are more of a swing factor if anything merely due to the fact they rely on numbers and not powers (unless you specify it like that) and that when they get converted they lose power

back to cults: the best way i have seen how to ballence them out is by giving town more power. If you take the route of "they become cult" then you should have power-heavy town. as you already know on our homestie we used the mason leaders/masons as a counterbalance to them.

arguably when you add cult there is not way perfectly ballence it out merly due to the fact its one of those "alignment change". its going to be a swing factor that can change in a moments notice. if you plan on doing a setup like that message me and i can help you out with it.

16. Sloth

I DO want to talk about the modding issues but given the state of the game right now and the subject of my issue (dayvigs/battles/day actions and the like), I want to err on the side of caution and wait till the game is over before addressing it.

I do agree 100% - no one expect mods to be infallible or around 24/7, but there's also some minimum to be followed. Or at least ensuring that it can be followed.
    Delphine seemed like she could have done that, for example.

17. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Yo Sloth. Shut up until the game is over, have some respect for Lexi's request.

18. Sloth

1. I...didn't say anything about the game? In fact all i said I'd that I wanted to avoid talking about the mod stuff to be safe until after the game.

2. I was just replying to Riley. The fact that you use that to think I'm doing something wrong or that you don't whine at Riley for the same shows you're not paying attention.

So, while it's...commendable that you care so much about keeping the game uncompromised, Lee, you should pay closer attention before trying to jump on the Game-police wagon - it just makes you look confusing, to say the least.

19. ika

NEW TOPIC:

jesters yay or nay?

and we also have ciruts talk about cults

20. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You referenced particulars vs rileys general observations. I'd assume that was the difference.

@Riley: Yes on DM. Yes^yes on getting a second and third opinion on balance.

@ika: personally I find it anti fun but it's includable. Some amount of warning needs to be given though.