1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, I was posting to ask that I be tagged in the next game signup thread. Then I saw there was an open thread and realised I didn't want this quite yet.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, okay.

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I think you /were/ even tagged in it? Good to see you’re still around regardless!

4. Beruru

Beruru First Year

High Score:
    Ok. I feel kind of bad posting this, but people don't seem to be putting a lot of thought into the nominations, and I have some actual kind of serious reasons why I don't want Jari to be the representative for DLP:

1) I think the type of super questionable people who play in champs are the type of people who would definitely lynch Jari off tone without paying attention to his content. They wouldn't think hard enough to seriously evaluate him.
    1a) Jari has played games on MU with people he doesn't know and the same result happens to him as usual i.e. he dies early because somehow his tone and presence oozes scum out of every pore regardless of his actual alignment.

2) Every year the pool of people who are already known to be exceptional players taking a second or third crack at it grows, and a lot of people play on sites they don't really care about just so that they can be nominated for champs. That is a whole separate issue, but what it means is that Jari has a greater chance of dying early and not having enough impact to...

3) protect DLP's reputation. which is something only I apparently care about. DLP is apparently the best place to play mafia on the metric of having good, serious players. Thingy actually grabbed the stats. Very few sites have someone in both wildcards and finals together, and no other sites have someone in finals every time. I don't want Jari to become a meme. He's kind of already a meme as a go to d1 mislynch but championship memes have staying power.

4) His town play is good when he doesn't have a Fonti to tunnel but he freezes when he gets like 4 votes as mafia because Vira taught him about the concept of antispew (which was situational for precisely that one time he was mechanically outed) and he doesn't really know how to defend himself as mafia because of this? I don't think he's ready to rand mafia in a tournament setting and I know it's only 25% chance every time but that's actually pretty high considering the possibility he might have to play three games if he does well enough for wildcards and then finals.

This is why I support dC and not Jari. I could write a wall about dC too, he also has his weak points (misses critical timing/misreads thread temperature, too hesitant to do a thing sometimes, etc) but I think he is, generally, better. His purity and general "happy feeling"-y is also in his favour in the "getting other players to like him" department (for the most... ridiculous? example of why this is important? Last year's champion, Dels. It is a vote amongst players, after all, and people who are thought of more fondly are more likely to get voted to proceed.) Jari's tone is more sardonic and contemptuous (?) which is what makes people want to string him up all the time.

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ugh. This forum's setup is doing weird things to my alerts, as I get a hundred every day from TOMD/etc.

Edit: though that doesn't appear to be true.

But anyway, I am indeed back.

6. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    I'd like to note that if you want to protect DLP's reputation you should probably allow beru to go :v

I mean don't get me wrong I'll do my best and be grateful for the opportunity, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the result is "DLP misses the finals for the first time". Whereas with beru and a couple other players I can think of, that actually WOULD be surprising.

7. Beruru

Beruru First Year

High Score:
    Tiny spoiler: Thingy invited Fantasy Strike this year even though we only played like 6 games on Discord because he likes seeing his number get bigger because it makes him feel good.

This will probably have a certain expected result. (Upside down face emoji.)
    --- Post automerged ---
    Anyway, who are those couple other players. Any who haven't been mentioned yet?

8. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    Newcomb for one, although I'm assuming from his posting and not volunteering that he's not interested. Rubicon? I wanna say Gemma despite the protest she'd probably put up (if she doesn't wanna go because rolling mafia would suck is fine, but she WAS good at it the game I played with her), font seems like an obvious pick, and I am 9001% sure I am forgetting a whole pile of people who have slipped my goldfish memory by not being in the latest tinyhunt.

(Jan didn't want to go, yes? I can't find where that was said but it sounds correct. If not, put him on the list as well)

9. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I am not interested sorry.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I want to address this one specific point.

I don't think this should be a factor in selecting our rep, because if we don't choose someone for this reason, whomever we do choose has a really unfair amount of pressure on them.

Like, yes, our rep should play hard and they should play to win, but they shouldn't feel any pressure to do well in the tournament itself.

I don't really have a horse in the beruru/dC/Jarizok race; I think they'd all be fine reps.

If beruru is repping FS, that makes our rep dC with Jarizok as backup or the reverse. I'm good with that.

11. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    I might be giving up mafia. Still debating back and forth, but I felt like I should let someone know from this community at least.

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But why? Not enough time? Poor communities in previous games? Not enjoying the process?

13. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    I'm a Christian. I wrestle daily with the temptation of lying. If I rand scum the temptation is greater, but I also feel I let my teammates down if I do rand scum because the moral conflict is there and ever present. I don't know if I really should be playing. Mafia also distracts me from completing daily needs like eating and showering and actually working to apply for a new job. I feel like I need to free up that time to grow as person. Or overall, start to move forward and at the very least move closer to God.

14. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

I've abstained from commenting on the whole representative thing because I hail from a different community, but this is outside that scope so I hope you'll all pardon my intrusion.

I, too, am religious. In fact, I first discovered Mafia through my hanging out with a bunch of kids from my congregation. I see where you're coming from with the moral conflict and, while I admire the strength of your resolve, rest assured that playing Mafia doesn't mean that you're breaking commandments or violating any moral code. The religious leader of my community saw us playing one day, and was interested enough that he joined in for a couple games.

His reasoning was simple, and will hopefully make sense to you as well. The key here is that it's a game. You're not lying in every day life, or deceiving anyone or causing harm to them. Your deception in Mafia is within the pre-determined confines of a game that everyone agrees to, and fully expects deception in. When it's all said and done, you'll remain truthful and trustworthy outside of the game. It's also beneficial because, as town, you're looking for deception and hunting for the little contradictions that people make. As scum, paying attention to the tactics you use to try to deceive others can also inform you of tactics others may try to use on you in your regular life. Both of these can strengthen you and help you remain honest and know who to trust.

In my community, we always included the additional rule that "anyone who asks someone to swear to God or make any oath or promise in a game is instantly modkilled." Same goes for anyone who swears about a statement to get people to believe them. Play Mafia, and know that whatever deception occurs within the confines of the game is expected and has no harm. Again, major props to you for even having this dilemma in the first place. Stay honest, owner, and have fun :)

EDIT: Your daily needs and daily life and goals should always take precedence over Mafia, though. Good luck balancing that!

15. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I actually missed this entire thing, lol.

I’ve only been the D1 lynch on MU in two games, one of which was the HPmash. Made it to late/end in my other games except PsychicHunt. It’s a grand total of 6/7 games on MU though. Sure, I could get D1 lynched, but I’d like to think that I /could/ play more townily/serious if I were to try.

As to the other points, I have no illusion of matching Fonti/Jan/Newcomb/Eido on the ‘DLP reputation’ front but I don’t think my scum play is worse than the average champs-goer either. Really don’t think I’d become a meme anyways.

16. Miner

Miner Order Member

I don't know if dC considers DLP his homesite or not, but I still think that if we're trying to rep DLP it should be someone who consistently and without fail plays on DLP and has played on DLP for a decent chunk of time and considers DLP to be the first site they go to if they wish to play a game of mafia.

I don't know if dC considers DLP in this way. I believe Jari does.

And at any rate, there's that second chance thing with the jury from last year's finalists, no? Even if Jari gets fucked over by people in his game who dislike his play for whatever reason, if he's truly played well he'll advance to finals through that. And honestly I don't think Jari's going to be that bad.

17. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I consider dC to be part of the community in that way. I also think his personality and playstyle lend themselves a bit better to playing with and impressing randos.

18. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    My position with regards to DLP as a community is a little weird, because I'm originally from CPi and then Fantasy Strike, but both those sites closed down and I followed people from them here. So I have a fair bit of history with a number of people here, but less with the site itself? I guess I associate more strongly with people than sites and the people I'm associated with are here, so it's kind of like a degree of separation thing.

On the other hand, I definitely don't consider myself an MU native and that and DLP are basically my only two sites now. I auto-in any game that pops up here, and I'm not really looking for anywhere else to go.

19. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

20. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    That makes Newbcomb homeless :(