1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Stories

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

Wait. Two in one year? I haven't followed TDF since the beginning so I don't know the usual spacing out of the books, but this, to me, implies that Ghost Story might be filler, or more set-up for the next book.

Thoughts?

2. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

I dunno. the first chapter has Harry dealign with ghosts, spirits, and guardian angles and being charged with SPOILER solving his own murder.

Doesn't seem like a filler book to me.

However, if the title of the next one is indeed Cold Hands, perhaps all the discussion about Harry's status as the Winter Knight being revoked has been misguided.

3. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I... don't like this. Two books in a year? Somehow I get the feeling that we'll either see a dip in quality, or that 'Ghost Stories' is going to be shorter than we're used to from Butcher in regards to Dresden.

Still, Cold Hands... plenty of speculation I guess. Might be about Dresden as the Winter Knight, following his duties, mayhaps he's still just dead & trying to find his way back again, after all, we don't exactly know what happens in Ghost Stories outside of the fact he has to save 3 of his friends from peril, so, we might not even see a return to physical form.

I'm gonna remain skeptical about this untill Ghost Stories is out & I've read it, thus far not overly encouraged by this move from Butcher, it seems like he's almost trying to get the Dresden Files out the way to move onto other projects, or simply wants to be done with the series as a whole.

4. Muttering Condolences

Well JB's twitter said GS is 48 chapters at least. Generally when Butcher writes that long, it's gonna be epic.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I'm not all that worried. Call it positivity, call it the fact that I doubt Cold Days will be out by the end of the year, or maybe call it me thinking that maybe Jim's having a good streak and Cold Days will come easier to him than Ghost Story (I figure that Cold Days is a bit of a fae-heavy book, and maybe several Chekhov Guns he's set up over the years are going to start firing spectacularly), but there it is. I'm looking forward to both books, either way.

Jim's said as much before, something along the lines of "being dead doesn't get you out of a deal with Mab". Oh, and Cold Days. Where'd the "Hands" come from suddenly?

6. Muttering Condolences

Whoops, my mistake. Read an earlier post wrong. Cold Days it is.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... You all worrying about the sudden spacing in of the books do realize the man was writing a totally different universe right alongside Dresden right? Codex is what the man threw together in his spare time from Dresden, what the fuck can he do now that he's focused totally on Dresden?

8. Muttering Condolences

......Awesome.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Awesome news, now we just have to wait for July to hit to get us some of that Ghost Story (It's not Ghost Stories, this thread is full of misspellings >_>).

10. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Man, I'ma need to go back and reread the whole series before Ghost Story comes out. That, and actually start posting my post-changes fic that I was working on...

11. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

I was kind of hoping to see another series out of Butcher, since he has some interesting ideas. However two books for Dresden Files is great, it's my favorite series still going right now. (Though we'll have to see if it still is after I read Wise Man's Fear)

12. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Are we sure that he means that Cold Days is coming out before the end of the year, or merely that it's due to be handed in to the publisher by then?

I can't quite tell which it is from the Tweet. But given the usual editing/printing/distributing time, I lean toward it coming out in '12. Possibly early '12, but just as likely the typical spring release.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

He's supposed to start working a new series sometime next year if I remember right, been awhile since I've been to his forums.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just an odd thought I had earlier that has absolutely nothing to do with Ghost Story, but is amusing anyway.

Magog the Denarian uses brute force backed up by magic to make himself practically unstoppable in a charge.

Magog = The Juggernaut.

Replay the conversation between Magog and the Eldest Gruff in your head, right now.

You cannot unhear it!

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Song of Ice and Fire? *shrugs*

Speaking of which... two new Dresdens, plus A Dance With Dragons finally coming out? :awesome

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I had some kind of weird-ass nightmare in which Butcher's next 2 books (Ghost Story included) were both for his new series about a pretty boy in the Wild West and that the next Dresden book wouldn't be for another year at least.

In my mind DLP is clearly to blame for this but I can't put my finger on why.

17. Muttering Condolences

I suspect we will see an early 2012 release date for CD. It's taking 3-4 months from Butcher finishing GS to publication, so I figure we could see CD as early as Jan-Feb 2012.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  18. EthyleneGlycol

EthyleneGlycol Second Year

Fitting it should be released in the middle of winter, don't you think? There'll be plenty of cold days to read Cold Days. >_>

19. Brown

Brown Third Year

Except for the half of the world where it will be mind-bogglingly hot...

But that's holidays, so it's still good.

20. Mathias

Mathias Squib

So I recently read through all of the books currently out in the course of like 3 weeks, but just looking at the usual timing of his releases, I don't think that a late '11 or early '12 release is unreasonable for Cold Days. First, we have had a long string of April releases, going all the way back to WN, and then PG and DB were May releases. Also, Jim stated that he struggled with Ghost Story and had to push it back until July. Is it at all possible that it was pushed back because he was setting up for the next book(s)? Trying to make it continuous or all that fun stuff? Keep in mind, Jim said he wanted 20 or so novels followed by the Big Apocalypse Trilogy, and this will be book 13, so about halfway through the series.