1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Story chapters

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Datakim, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of Butcher's appeal is in how he tells the story, not what the story is. After all, he's used cliché after cliché so far, but they've been told so well that they feel brand new. So a summary isn't going to do much to entice you.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Turning your memories into weapons doesn't impress anyone else? Dresdens got some damn nasty memories-- Shagnasty for one. Load that up and burn a hole in the rest of those ghostly bitchs, Harry! :awesome

Just gonna need an ethereal staff to do it probably.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wonder how accurate that summary is. It's got loads of spelling mistakes in it (bight instead of bite, for instance) and I have no idea where it supposedly came from.

That said, yeah, alright. I hope they don't rush through the whole
    "ghost police" thing too much, because seems to me that Harry would want to have an idea of just WTF is going on there before he leaves (I had the impression that choosing to go to Mort's and be non-corporeal kicked him out of the "reality" with Jack and Carmichael in it?),
    but yeah...

Mostly I gotta say this -- Aekiel is right. It's in the telling more than anything else. This sounds reasonably interesting to me anyway. Mort seems to be being more a bitch than warranted though.

4. Jamie Brooks

Jamie Brooks Second Year

5. Ched

Ok, that's a great thread as far as reading goes, but OMFG @ all the spelling errors and word mix-ups from what I would otherwise take to be a somewhat intelligent discussion.

Seriously. I was cringing by page 2-3.

6. Dryden

Dryden First Year

Considering the excitement over sequel to The Name of the Wind, I went ahead and read it (had never even heard of it before.) Wow. Thanks for that suggestion. Not to be too lurkerish... but any other suggestions to fill the time between now and the release of Ghost Story?

7. Jamie Brooks

Jamie Brooks Second Year

the painted man and desert spear by peter brett

8. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I actually just read those like four weeks ago. They're ok, I guess.

All I can say is that that the threat of rape hangs in the air far too much. I'm actually pretty sure that there are serial rapists who think about rape less than the author.

Aside from that, book two was a major let down in my eyes. Not nearly enough actually happened with the plot compared to the amount of words written, and I'm not even counting the first act, since it was kind of the basis for the book.

Book one was pretty enjoyable, though it did have its hiccups.

9. Jamie Brooks

Jamie Brooks Second Year

I quite liked both of them. There are a few annoyances especially about the beginning of desert spear.

Another series I enjoyed was Joe Abercrombie, I think the first one was called before they were hanged.

10. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

There's also the Nightside novels, but those have...mixed reviews from this site. I like them, though. I consider them the B-movie version of Dresden.

11. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

That's because they are an affront to writing. The first book remains the one and only novel I have ever thrown in the garbage through decades of reading. I think the fact that the first book's villain is a magical transdimensional angler-fish/house that baits its targets with custom tailored people/drones pretty much sums up the books for me. That summary being complete disgust. The main character was equal parts dull and utterly loathsome. The secondary characters were lame. And the writing was pathetic. I'd rather read Kinsfire.

12. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

Necro, but chapter two is up. Link.

Edit: Chapter Two seems to be part of what was already up on Penguin's website (with a few, small changes), so I guess new material will be up next week. There's also a little bit of new stuff at the end of the chapter.

June 28th: Chapter 3
    July 5th: Chapter 4, plus the audio for 1 and 2.
    July 12th: Chapter 5, plus the audio for 3 and 4.
    July 26th: Release day!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. Ched

Chapter 3 of Ghost Story

Good stuff. I like Jack. Stu is weird. I like that we are seeing something completely new in the Dresdenverse. ^^

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  14. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

A new take on the familiar is what keeps the series fresh and interesting.

Also, I'm not sure why, but 'Ghostal Service' nearly had me rolling, which would have been bad, since I'm at work right now. Possibly the lamest pun of all time, but sweet mother...

15. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

The best puns are always the worst.

Unless they're just too bad, then they aren't punny at all.

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I googled "ghost story chapters". DLP was the first result ;D

17. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

18. Brown

Brown Third Year

So.. spoilers.

Six months? Hell of a thing to drop on a guy without mentioning it. I'm getting slight Order of the Stick vibes, where it was used as a way to advance the plot significantly in very little real time. I guess the idea here is to show us how Dresden's friends/allies have moved on, or haven't. And what's up with Winter (likely source of the snow)? Something to do with not having a Knight? If Harry didn't die properly maybe his mantle didn't pass on properly.

19. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

6 months is about the usual amount of time that passes between books. I'd agree that it's Winter causing the snowstorm in May, which I'm taking to mean it was Summer that took out Dresden (maybe Fix), and cheated to do so, and this cheat was either considered an act of war by Mab (I mean, they did assassinate her Knight in midwinter), or the cheat somehow weakened Summer enough that Mab is pressing an advantage. There could be an issue with the mantle as well, but if that were the case wouldn't Mab be losing in May?

20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Morty won't help, it's been six months.

Seven words of content in a whole goddamn chapter. Why are you such a cocktease, Butcher?