1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Story's kindle price

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Oh you've gotta be fucking kidding me. Do they actually expect us to pay these bullshit prices?

It's more expensive than the damn hardcover edition!

Edit: Also just discovered that the release date was bumped back to July, which I had been unaware of. That's a serious buzzkill.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Fuck it, in Australia the book would be like double that, I'd be on that so quick...

3. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I will continue to buy actual paper books.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

...Who actually buys books online? >_>

5. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

The prices I've payed for a hardcover are higher than that. Paperback was $7.99 or something.

I've bought a book or two off of Amazon, but not an ebook or anything.

6. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Yeah, it's not uncommon to pay up around $30 for a new hardcover in Canada, sometimes going as ludicrously high as $35...

So yeah, I'd be on that shit instantly.

Ironically, you end up paying the most for shitty books. For example, my sister recently bought some shitty romance novel called Halo, which cost a whopping $34, but new Dresden Files releases are usually $25.

Personally, I prefer to buy large paperbacks when I can. I'm a bit of a bookcare nazi, so I don't really need the added protection of a hardcover to keep my stuff in perfect condition, but size reduces the inevitable spine wear that a regular paperback gets.

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I was more referring to that the ebook is literally more expensive than the hardcover. Regardless of the actual price, it just annoys me that the publisher expects someone to pay more for a product that obviously takes less to produce.

8. Portus

Portus Heir

Wait, I thought we were discussing real money...

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

A lot of the time with digital distribution, the brick-and-mortar stores use their influence to demand that the digital version not be cheaper than the physical version for fear of losing sales. There was a sizeable kerfluffle about it happening with Steam prices a few years back. So I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was happening here - Borders or whoever making waves to keep digital distro a less attractive option for the masses.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I usually buy my books used off of Amazon a week or two after they've been released in hardcover for half price if not way less.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

Yeah, I used to spend a ton of money buying books at my local Angus & Robertson because it was right next to my work. I'd get paid, walk next door and spend it all again.

I started buying online and ended up getting newer books that were usually cheaper. This sort of thing hasn't happened all that often to me, but I can see why it is ridiculous. However, the publishers and retail stores do, as Tehan said, dictate price. There is a pretty large market for ebooks, but until that begins to overtake physical books stores will be able to do shit like this.

If we want to get cheaper books faster then everyone should start buying online.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Just a quick note. Kindle prices went way up yes, it sucks. But Amazon reported this last week that they sold more ebooks than actual books this last year.

13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

No, no we shouldn't. Buying online at these prices will just reinforce the idea to publishers that they can rape consumers wallets without restraint.

Instead I'll be perfectly happy to go acquire my ebooks elsewhere. If publishers don't feel the need to offer a reasonable price, I don't feel the need to buy their product when there are just so many cheaper ways to get it.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

Well that is true. I guess I'm not really qualified to offer answers here, considering I haven't bought a book in a year anyway.

15. kpjam

kpjam First Year

Not sure you want to advertise theft.

They're charging the hardcover price because they think they can get it. You are correct in that buying the book for the e-book price out the gate won't lower the price, it will just validate their premise.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

He didn't say anything about stealing anything, if you can even call downloading something stealing it.

17. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

When you fork out £112 or £152 for a Kindle, you expect the books to be fairly priced.

18. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's still piracy.

If you don't think the price for something is reasonable, you can go ahead and feel your dick while not getting the product.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This. And if they're not reasonably priced, a great deal of people will have a lot less trouble making the jump to piracy [the portion of the population that doesn't, atm]. The music industry learned this the hard way [packaging one good song + 12 shitty ones into a 15$ CD and being shocked when no one bought it].

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I almost agreed with you Xiph, until I saw your total post was lies and bullshit. 1 good song with TWELVE shitty ones, for 15$ instead of $18??? Where the hell you been getting the extra 2 songs from, and why are you paying 3$ cheaper then what I used to! =P