1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Give Zombie Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zombie, May 2, 2015.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Okay so... I'm going batshit not having anything to read.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    Isn't nonfiction
    That oddball story you think that only you have been able to find. That rare gem that you just grabbed to kill time and ended up being one of the better books/series you started following.

Another thing. I just want books. You can sell me your book on why it's good and why I should read it, but otherwise don't ask me what I want or what I'm looking for. Also, assume that if it's popular, talked about, been made into a movie, based on a true story, or just worth reading- that I have read it.

@webfiction this can be included as well. But again if it's popular or marginally talked about, assume I have read it.

Thanks guys, you're the best :3

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

webfiction: Frost - Think House if he became a psychologist.

Its pretty early on, but its surprisingly good, IMHO.

Edit: Now with Links, Zombie.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Gregor the Overlander, by Suzanna Collins. Fun little series about a boy finding a world beneath his own with crazy magical creatures and a kingdom of almost-human people with a room full of prophecies, many of which involve the boy himself. Won't blow your mind, but it's a good time. It also has berserkers. No, I'm not kidding.

4. Zombie

Links would be nice.

5. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Nonfiction? I have no idea what it is. Wikipedia came up with an article that I don't understand.

The Dragonrealm series by Richard A. Knaak is pretty enjoyable read. The Shrouded Realm in particular. I think it could be read as standalone. It is about race of insanely powerful wizards. Imo, rest of the series is not as good, but still worth a read.

edit: I just remembered that i've read pretty interesting book a few years ago. Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Not entirely my cup of tea, but some parts were.. well, interesting.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The Red Knight

Fantasy set in a really interesting medieval world full of interesting ideas, intriguing characters and well written battle scenes.

Kushiel`s Dart

Fantasy set in AU where the angels decided to act a bit differently. I like for its interesting characters, its intriguing world and because it is simply very different to your typical fantasy.

The Children of Hurin

A tragic story set in Tolkien`s Middlearth modeled afterthe saga of the Nibelungs.

The Last wish

The story of the witcher Geralt of Rivia, very popular in eastern Europe. The first two books are a collection of short stories but the rest are normal books.

Eisenhorn

It, and it sequels, are the ultimate books you you are interested in Warhammer 40k and its Inquisition but still enjoyable if you have no idea what that is.

The Black company

It is a classic but mostly forgotten today.

Tales of Kin

Perhaps the only challenger of The Red Knight for my most liked series.

Tales of the Otori

The Memory of Flames

Imager

Peshawar Lancers

Death`s Angels

Kormack

October Daye

Saxon stories

7. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone, a weirdly unique fantasy book with bits of a courtroom thriller thrown in and a really strange world.

I also second Tales of the Otori.

8. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

One of my favorite short stories. It's a little dark, but ultimately beautiful. I don't want to talk too much about it's themes because tht might spoil it too much, but it focuses on inevitability, entropy, and the wonder of life and consiousness. It's also written in an entertaining, quirky, almost 19th century style.

Exhalation by Ted Chiang.

9. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

My go-to recommendation for this kind of thing:

Bridge of Birds

One of my favorite books ever. Clever, fantastical, unique. Have only ever met one person in real life who's read it.

11. Zombie

Go home NMB you're drunk. I said not your every day rec nigger
    /end frown

In other news, how goes that six year rewrite of song and by the diving light? I could read those again :3

12. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood

Probably the most underrated work of "fantasy" around. The story follows anthropomorphic moles in a tunnel system in Duncton Wood. Sounds crazy I know, but the characters are well developed (so much so that you forget that they're moles), and the location is beautifully fleshed out. The plotline is a sprawling epic which incorporates a lot of elements of fantasy, including the rags to riches type of hero.

There are a variety of sequels, but the first book is an entirely self-contained story which is fully satisfying as a stand-alone.

14. ^_^

^_^ First Year

Hi, a really good zombie book that I've read within the past year has to be The Girl With All The Gifts by Mike Carey. It's basically a zombie apocalypse type of book but the main character(the girl) doesn't know she's a zombie until later on in the book. I believe the zombies here were referred to as the "hungries". Seeing her struggle against her need for blood as well as seeing the length some humans were going to find a cure was nice. The other characters definitely added some flavor to the story as well. My favorite part is the bittersweet ending though. I didn't know if I should be happy with how it ended or upset tbh, Good book, 7.9/10 imo.

15. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Wait didn't you just spoil the book

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellum_%28novel%29The Book of All Hours, by Hall Duncan. On the surface, a fairly typical story of a supernatural war impinging on humanity, but quickly becomes apparent that it's far more intelligent than that.

17. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Not much of a spoiler... you have to blind to not see it after reading the first few pages.

That said... I read the book and found it meh. Its characters never really captured my interest and the pot was pretty standard.

18. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

19. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

Surprised you were able to read to begin with while you were stoned ;)

For the OP:

I honestly have no idea what's really "talked about" or well known, normally just pick up stuff in second hand bookstores that look interesting, nevertheless here are some that I'm assuming might not be so well known.

The Riyria Revelations and prequel series the Riyria Chronicles are both good reads. Nothing earth shattering but good reads nonetheless!

The Damar Series by Robin McKinley is also one I enjoyed.

Also The Dreaming Tree is another one you might like? The writing style and pacing are a bit different than normal but it's a good Celtic fantasy.

Low Town which is a 'a detective thriller in a noir fantasy setting'.

The Imager Portfolio series was one I read a few years ago and I haven't got past book 4 yet but I was enjoying it last time I read it!

The Dragon Griaule might be a bit more well known but definitely worth reading if you haven't already!

The Cemetary of Forgotten Books series - I get the feeling this will be well known seeing as the front cover reliably informs me the author is a New York times bestseller, but once again had to fling it in in case you hadn't read it!

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Well shit, there's quite a bit of those to be honest, because when I was 11-12 years old I basically spent most of my time in the local library, picking out books from the fantasy/SF section at random. This led me to being introduced to Elric, Book of the New Sun, Earthsea and dozens of other series, but those three are basically always sitting at the forefront of my mind.

If you find yourself enjoying BotNS, I'd also highly recommend you read Dying Earth by Jack Vance.