1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Good Starwars Fics from the last 5 years or so.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by PWIZDUO, Dec 12, 2014.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

There was a fic, whose name I can't remember, that was pretty good in the late 2000s (take that as you will) where Harry is taken from the remains of Godric's Hollow and raised as Revan. It was epic in length, and remains one of the few HP/Star Wars crossovers I legitimately enjoyed. The reason I suggest it, is that 80% of the story is basically just a Star Wars fic about Revan; no mention to Earth, magic, etc.

2. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

If you find it, I'd like a link. Sounds interesting.

Edit: actually I think I've found it

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Any good Star Wars fics for people like me, who prefer blasters and space battles, to lightsabers and the force?

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Hades Wing.

It's really, really pushing it as an Almost Recommendable fic, but I found it somewhat enjoyable. It's about an elite Imperial Tie Fighter Squadron written in the same sort of style as the X-Wing series. Main shortcoming is it's pretty cheesy (especially every scene in the actual interrogation - the flashbacks are bearable), so yeah, YMMV.

5. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

That's kind of disappointing. You'd figure there would be more considering that space battles and blaster fights played a big part in the OT, and how popular charaters like Han Solo and Boba Fett were.

I mean, I like the force and all, but it seems like all the Star Wars writers are interested in anymore in Jedi/Sith wank (and this includes George Lucas).

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, completely agree with you. I've ranted about this a bit in other SW threads, but the space battles were what attracted me to Star Wars in the first place. The original trilogy (and even the older EU books set after ROTJ) had the right mix of Jedi characters and normals. In a way, it made the Jedi/Sith struggle so much more epic too - because having so few Force users made them that much more unique and interesting.

If there's one thing I lament most about the direction Star Wars has gone, it's that Jedi/Sith have become so plentiful that they've become boring. In the original movies, you had one lightsaber duel per movie with a focus of them being battles of ideologies and emotions instead of just fancy fight choreography. In the prequels, lightsaber duels basically replaced the blaster fights as the standard fight scene, so the only way to make them interesting is with fancy choreography or novelty lightsabers.

That being said, I can also understand why the fascination in the fandom is all based around Jedi/Sith. They've become the norm as the only interesting characters, so no one wants to write about anyone else.

It's interesting that most of the EU set post-ROTJ prior to Episode II and Episode III seemed to be more in line with the original trilogy. Most of the books had equal focus given to Luke's Jedi adventures as it did to other characters. You had the X-wing books that didn't feature Jedi at all. Games were mostly space sims or FPSs with blasters being the focus. After that though, everything just went full Jedi/Sith.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This, absolutely. When you have thousands of Jedi being annihilated in a Force Bomb and dozens of wars that seem to be primarily fought between Jedi and Sith, with each side apparently having enough fortitude to be killed off every other generation or so, and still recover in under a few centuries. (Honestly, you think dark/light force-users would subscribe to a new movement/philosophy from time to time.)

I think it largely stems from the necessity felt in the EU at the moment that you need to have some Jedi or another feature, or else it can't be interesting. This is paticularly frustrating in a) books/fics/games set in the RotE period (between episodes 3&4) where you just reach a point where the amount of Jedi surviving the supposed "purge" is getting ridiculous, and b) in the series-spanning plotlines that come out lately, as they all feel the need to introduce a new set of Sith/dark-siders, which always bloat the numbers considerably, and lead to that focus on "only force-users are interesting".

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm really, really tempted to give this a try. Reven is such a great character, both because of the mystery surrounding her and the fact that she comes off very much as a Warrior-Poet - kind of in the vein of Rhaegar Targaryen.

I actually have ~3K of a KotOR fic written; I figured I'd start mid-scene, the aftermath as the Ebon Hawk jumps away from Taris. (Writing 10K of getting the crew together seemed like a waste of time.) The main thrust of the scene was this confrontation between Bastila and Reven, where Reven's struggling with the enormity of what they just witnessed, how all those little kindnesses and triumphs (curing the Rhakghoul thing, siding with the Hidden Beks, helping down-on-their luck dancers with money problems, etc) just got completely nullified with the Sith slagging the entire planet.

Lara (Reven) can't come to terms with the pointlessness of it, and Bastila keeps telling her to calm down and be at peace, stuff like that, and Lara thinks - why? Why is she so concerned? Why do I understand all these languages? Why do I feel this instant connection with droids? And something clicks.

It's in a folder somewhere, kind of back-burnered, mainly because I didn't have any idea where I was going with it. I like the idea of having Reven as a voice in her head, though. I'm still not sure what the plot would be - simply tracing the steps of the game seems too mundane.

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Are you two doing this on purpose? :|

10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Huh? What are you talking about? We're just sharing our love for one of the coolest characters in the Star Wars universe, the dark lord Revin.