1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Google Glass and Virtual Immersion video game.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by TSN, Jul 26, 2014.

1. TSN

TSN Auror

Ok, so nothing official. But honestly I think it would be a total blast.

I can't wait for the g'glass to be availlable in retail, so that such game become real. Am I trully the only one who can immagine random pokebattle in the street between perfectly normal adult, random Encounter in park and on the road between city. Zubat galore in subway station.

It would be totally awesome way for kids to get outside and get sun and exercise while allowing them to play videogame.

Do you guys and gal, have any other idea of game that would be awesome in a virtual immersion game?

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Doom.

asdfg

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

FTFY

And an Xmen/Cyclops style battle might work with laser eyes. Perhaps a bit of burning scenery and torn up roads saved on a coordinating server.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In completely unrelated news, the number of people wearing Google Glass in public and cackling wildly as they look around has risen sharply.

5. Rah

Rah Death Eater

I've tried GGs before (someone on my floor in college got a pair cause his Dad is an exec at a big ratings firm) and they aren't that great :/

Great concept, but it just feels weird, probably has to do with the fact that I wear glasses haha.

But i am still waiting for VRMMORPG's ala SAO :p

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want anything resembling Immersion, you'll need an Occulus Rift imo.

Glass is little more than the most primitive version of a HUD you see in Video Games. Give it a couple of years and it might do something interesting, but not in the near future.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    After a few years the app market will have been overloaded with duck hunt games.

8. yak

You're right that you won't be getting "immersion" from Glass, but fun can still be had. It is a HUD that sits over the top of reality and you wear it every day. An Occulus Rift can't do that. I don't think that the two devices should be compared at all; they're very different.

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    One is Altered Reality, the other is Total Visual Immersion. They're two completely different things.

10. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, I was just responding to the "Virtual Immersion" in the title. I don't really think you can call Google Glass an 'immersive' device.

11. theronin

theronin Order Member

This isn't quite correct. Google glass is a HUD, but doesn't actually have any true AR elements. AR implies that the device is superposing virtual elements onto the real world, so for example a you could create a virtual tree and you would see it in the same place relative to the real world regardless of how you move. This is actually much, much harder to do right than VR, and considering we are still working on VR, AR is a long ways away.

12. yak

Actually, that's exactly what's happening.

This is AR one year ago: World´s First Augmented Reality App for Google Glass
    And this is six months ago: Race Yourself - Virtual Reality Fitness Motivation

These Google Glass apps are looking pretty damn slick. I'm guessing the AR elements are being triggered by a mixture of visual pattern recognition [eg. QR codes, unique graphics] and GPS.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

Wait, how the hell are they doing AR in glass... I thought glass had a screen only on one eye. Guess I am behind the times.

14. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last part of Tech we're missing when it comes to VR is sensory-immersion tech. Which is unfortunate I think, because touch, taste, and smell are all way behind sight and hearing. Which are only just barely into the realms of what I'd call acceptable as 'VR'.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  15. Innomine

High Score:
    Unfortunately, the only viable way I can think of that being accomplished is to directly interface with the brain. And that's still quite a ways off I believe.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

These two are really cool!

Augmented reality doesn't need two eyes.

Google Glass does have a camera built in, so you just need software that can process that data, link it to something meaningful and then display something meaningful on the HUD. That's the real challenge.

Apps are becoming available on phones that can do this too - overlay useful information from a camera feed using image recognition.

Here's a pretty cool TED talk showing off some AR stuff.

17. chriar

chriar Third Year

Check out Kor-fx. It adds a semblance of touch to VR.