1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Goosebumps Bitches!

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cruentus, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That's right! I'm on a nostalgia kick! I know I'm not the only one that grew up on these! What's your favorite one?

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Haven't read Goosebumps, but I've read all of these:

[​IMG]

3. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Monster Blood I was the first one I read but I have fond memories of the werewolf one set in the swamp with the swamp deer but I can't remember it's name.

The rat choose your own adventure was alright as well.

Switched to Animorphs after those one's though, always liked the Goosebumps covers however.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Loved these but damned if I remember the title of a single one. Really, the only story that I remember was a short story of his, where a boy was in the hospital for a routine operation, and was put int the same room as a boy who was supposed to get a leg amputated, but the boy always screamed "I'M NOT X". Then, on the day of the operation, the protag was taken to get his leg amputated because the boy had switched their name cards and no one believed him because the other boy had cried wolf on that one for days.

That story stayed with me, man, scary shit, more than any monster xD

But yeah, goosebumps was awesome. Also faintly remember something where a bunch of girls and boys were playing a boardgame or something or looked into the future and then something happened?

5. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

There was that one with the boy who turned into a bee, I think, and some sort of flubber-like stuff that grew as it adsorbed stuff.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was a big fan of Goosebumps growing up. The Demon Headmaster was always a favourite of mine, as was Monster Blood.

The best one I saw though was a play based on the Doomsday Bookshop and Slappy the doll. I was ~12 when I saw it and it managed to be both funny and scary to me then. It was called Goosebumps: Screams in the Night and it's a shame it's not running now.

7. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Monster blood IV I think and werewolf of fever swamp?

8. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Welcome to Deaed House was my favorite, though I can say I never hated any of them.

9. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My favorite was How I Learned to Fly. It wasn't exactly scary, but it had a story and ending that stuck with me.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember reading a lot of these back in elementary school. The ones that stand out most (after perusing Wikipedia) are Say Cheese and Die!, The Werewolf of Fever Swamp, A Shocker on Shock Street, How I Learned to Fly, The Blob That Ate Everyone, Tick Tock, You're Dead! and I Am Your Evil Twin. I think I remember another CYOA book, but none of the summaries on Wikipedia for those ones seemed familiar. It might not have been a Goosebumps one.

Anyway, I could never read another one of those books again without ruining my memory of it.

11. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Welcome to Dead House, Night of the Living Dummy books, The Blob That Ate Everyone, One Day At Horror Land.... There are just too many to list.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read a lot of Goosebumps. The two that stand out in my mind the most are "The Beast from the East" and "How I Learned to Fly" but I don't recall those being particular favorites.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I know that I read a whole lot of these books back in the day, but I can't remember much of any of them. The one that I remember the most of was one involving a haunted theme park where you picked a slide and couldn't be the one that rode the slide that never ended.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Interesting. Out of the dozens and dozens of Goosebumps books to pick from, three of us mentioned "How I Learned to Fly" and it made me reflect...

Was that book the only Goosebumps book with a not-downer ending? If I remember correctly the kid at the end lied about his flying power going away, and the ending was that he got to live his life with the ability to fly and no one being the wiser. It was a good ending, and fun, and unlike any other Goosebumps endings I recall.

Were there others with traditional good endings like that?

15. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

A couple of the Choose your own adventures had reasonably happy-ish endings although for some of them that was pretty dependent on how you interpreted the ending I suppose.

But both Please Don't Feed the Vampire! and Attack of the Beastly Babysitter had endings that didn't suck too much.

16. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

I've never managed to remember the name, but in my favorite, the main character's friends turn out to be some sort of alien sleeper cell that thinks he's their leader. He has to pretend to be one of them while they start taking over his hometown. Some of the others mentioned (Living Dummy, Say Cheese) were favorites as well.

17. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

The only title I can remember is "It Came From Beneath the Sink." I think it was about a spongy-monster that grew bigger and ate people? It's been too long.

18. Delos

Delos First Year DLP Supporter

Nope. It came from beneath the sink was a pink sponge that caused a curse which progressively became fatal. The more you hated it, the more you fueled the curse so the trick was to love the little killer sponge. Love it, to death!

Let's Get Invisible, Welcome to Camp Nightmare, Monster Blood and The Girl Who Cried Monster were mine.

19. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Oh, cool.

Honestly, the only thing I remember 100% is that the Dummy covers freaked me out and I avoided reading those books in particular.

20. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

If I end up digging around for an old Goosebumps and reading it because of this thread, I will be displeased.