1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Tips and Help (Needed, Please)

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion' started by Ched, May 23, 2009.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hey all,

I'm apparently stupid when it comes to these things, but I have a few simple questions regarding how to do basic things with graphics and about Photoshop.

The first is how come it seems like everyone and his uncle HAS photoshop? There are photoshop contests all over the internet, and it seems like at least half the people here have it, and ... well, last time I checked didn't it cost like 800 bucks for a basic version? It seems too prolific for that to be accurate, but I google'd it and I'm seeing $$$ all over, so I just wanted to ask if I'm missing something here.

Is there a cheaper or freeware version that, while certainly not as good, does the basics at least?

My second question is specifically about graphics. Bear with me as I'm not familiar with the terminology for this stuff.

I want to know how to take a picture and make it so that if you use it as an avatar (or signature, whatever) it shows the background of the board/webpage in the background. For example, let me use someone's Avatar that I've seen all over the boards, ip82.

Here is his profile containing his avatar, notice how the background behind the Looney Tunes dude matches the dark green of the boards.

Now, if I had a picture like that but instead of showing the dark green background that matches the board exactly it instead had a square picture in which the background was white/black/other that I cut out of, say, a screenshot, a wallpaper, or a real photograph.

Another example would be my current avatar -- What if I wanted the black lines and wording to appear without the white background, and in place of the white background would be the background of whatever webpage I was on.

How do I get rid of the current background of my picture and make the background match the board/webpage. I guess that's what I'm trying to ask, damn that's hard to put into words.

Oh, and what program can I use to do this? I'd assume Photoshop does it, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I myself suck at photoshop -- but I can tell you this: most people have obtained it via... dubious means, let's say.

3. Ched

I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

4. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

With Photoshop, you could make the white area of your avatar transparent. You can use the magic wand tool to select the white parts and delete them. You can also use other image editing software to achieve the same things. You might want to check out GIMP, which is free.

5. Ched

Just found GIMP on download.com, going to give it a try. Thank you Zyloch.

6. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

You can find tutorials all over the net for this stuff, Google or youtube will help you.

7. Ched

I tried Google before posting but I couldn't figure out how to remove the background like my question asked -- maybe I wasn't wording my query correctly but the tutorials I kept coming up with were not very helpful (probably because I'm too much of a n00b to understand them). They also contained a lot of words like layers and whatnot that make no sense to me in this context.

I decided to just try asking instead after a while of beating my head against the wall.

I'll have another look later for tutorials though. Speaking of, Jon has some in this forum which I looked at and they appear to kickass. If I ever end up with Photoshop I'll be trying those out.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Only little sissies use Magic Wand.

Are you a little sissy?