1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gravity Falls

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I mean.. where do you go after Bill?

2. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Hm. Into an extra-dimensional alternative reality? The pines twins could pull a Ford. By choice or not.

Right now Disney hasn't renewed the series. We're definitely headed towards an end game though. With the last episode in particular we're seeing that the twins are going to have to make serious decisions about what they want, and who they want to be.

As much as I hate to say it, summer's almost over.

Disney could push for a season three. I doubt that Alex Hirsch would have a problem with doing more with Gravity Falls. It just might be an even longer wait as they figure out where the logical next steps would be.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

True true. TV Tropes has some interesting insights on the Pines personalities, quite smart too, even if I think they worsened Mabel’s faults and gave Dipper’s insecurities more focus than they should.

4. Jon

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that is sad. The first cartoon I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

6. Jon

Gravity Falls: Bad End

[​IMG]

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The show is about a brother and sister spending the summer at their gruncle's (I've not watched s2 yet). It's good they're not dragging it out imo

8. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Summing the show up like that is a bit like summing up Harry Potter as 'A bunch of kids go to boarding school'. :p

9. Jon

10. Jon

It was a beautiful journey that is sadly over, but I loved every moment.

[​IMG]

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Series finished? Not just a season? /makes note to finally watch it properly.

The bits I've seen of it have been a lot of fun.

12. Jon

Yeah the final episode just aired, it was a massive 40m deal.. and it was awesome.

13. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Man was that a good finale. I wish we'd get another summer in the Falls. Or...like a Spring Break on the Stan o' War II.

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

So, a great series had a very good ending. The pacing of the second season was a bit off, everything would have worked better with a third season, allowing for things to be taken with a slightly slower pace, but I still loved it to bits.

15. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Great series with a great ending. I'm not as crazy about the closing as some other folks I've run across. I think it might be because there were two competing aspects for narrative closure.

On the one hand there was resolving Bill's mystery. On the other, we have Mable and Dipper moving on (or not).

The emotional core was always on the second situation which took some of the impact away from Bill. Cipher was totally a threat, but there didn't seem to be any lasting consequences on the kids. Things may have changed for Gravity Falls, but it didn't feel like a price was paid for beating such insurmountable odds.

Eh. Maybe I just built Bill up to be more unstoppable then he actually was. Then again, they did beat him in a pretty cool way.

16. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

17. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Huh.

The Aztec god of the underworld, eh?

Well. That's a little horrifying. Especially with the whole twin angle.

Edit: Which also ties into the skeletons we see during the title card, but never in the actual show. Yikes.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I binge-watched both seasons. The show was very good. As said previously, the second season had material for two seasons, but that's not a problem. For me, the best part is the portrayal of Dipper and Mabel. They act like normal 12-years-old and not like other pre-teens in other shows. That is refreshing.

And we can't forget that this show is basically animated mix of Twin Peaks and Eerie Indiana mixed with some good Cthulhu Mythos.

I just wonder if the fandom can produce some good fanfics from this show.

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Bush, historically.

Thanks, I was wondering what it was that he said.

Not bad. Pretty good.
    There's room for a sequel series or new seasons, if they want. Still, I think I'd rather have a series quit with a definitive ending while it's still going reasonably strong than have it canceled on a cliffhanger or keep going until the writing is bad or voice actors are quitting, et cetera.

20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Over two years late to the party but I figured I'd chime in with my two cents. Plus, the Graphic Novel is being released next month so there's that.

I put off watching this show for far too long. Most people that mentioned it to me said something along the lines of "If you like RIck & Morty then you'd definitely like this". The problem was that while I had never watched Rick and Morty, I'd seen a few clips on YouTube and the animation style and humour didn't appeal to me. The animation of the teeth was particularly offputting.

A couple weeks ago, for seemingly no reason, I started watching the show. The fact that it only had two seasons made me think it was cancelled due to low ratings.

How wrong I was.

If anyone had asked me last month what my favourite cartoon was, I would have said Danny Phantom or Kids Next Door, maybe even Ben 10. Now, Gravity Falls has left all of these in the dirt.

This show just has that something special that puts it above everything else. The animation style is awesome as well. Unlike most other cartoons these days, this actually tries to mimic real life with no stupid noodle arms or shark teeth. The only outright cartoony thing is Stan's nose and even that is barely noticeable.

None of the character act outright cartoony. They all have personalities that wouldn't be out of place in a live action show.

I've already ordered a copy of Lost Legends and am eagerly waiting for it.

In the meantime, I'm give Rick and Morty a shot. It can't be too bad if this is considered similar to it.