1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Great new Fiction.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackghost, May 25, 2008.

1. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen published authors whose books are absolute crap.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My goal isn't to get you pissed. What possible benifit could I gain from that? My goal is to get you to realise that not everybody likes this guy's work. In fact most people don't. You know why?

Thats why.

I freely admit that I don't have the talent to get published. Maybe I underestimate myself, if this guy is getting published then I might have a shot after all.

Religion and high tech warfare should only be mixed in Isreal.

It's a terrible idea and I have no idea why you're so defensive about it.

Fixed that for you. Rowling has made millions of the back of nothing. This guy probably drinks with Kinsfire. Get some perspective you ignorant little shit.

3. blackghost

blackghost Third Year

That's true and I will admit that. but unless you read it you do not know. Have you read it?
    Honesly It IS better then most of the shit on FF.net.

Seratin- So all books are shit? It's all about what you like and if you do not like it fine.
    Stop beating a dead horse.

It's like timm, she doesn't come in insulting everyone and everything that make's up the story.
    IT'S A FUCKING STORY. Well written with good background studies. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes you can't do it but he can. It does not put aside the fact that it's better then 99% of HP fiction. Do I need a list of shit fanfics rcced to this site, or ones that are still here listed?

EDIT- I'll mention the fact that there are 2 star shit stories still here while 3 star stories go to the trash bin.

EDIT- Is it because it's against god? In honesty I get that feeling.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Then you're an idiot. Most of DLP is staunchly atheist. It's simply because the story is retarded.

5. Seratin

High Score:
    Who the fuck is Timm?

I never said all books were shit and to be honest I can't see where you got that idea. Beating a dead horse?

It's called a defence. At this stage I have one thing to say to you.

BACKPEDDAL FASTER DAMMIT!

6. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

No. We like Shezza, don't we? I, personally, am a little offended by the yud-hay-vav-hay thing, but thats only me. And I can still view it objectively.

Its cause its a crap story, with horrid plot, that all of DLP working together couldn't fix. This is whats wrong with the world.

7. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If that's the best you can say regarding the quality of the story... STFU. FFN is the gutter of human imagination. I could sit a monkey with a typewriter and there's a finite probability it'd type something better than 99% of FFN's shit.

Rofl!

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Truth. I've read the first four chapters - and I'll read a couple more for shit and giggles - but anyone dense enough to publish this - especially after its been made available for the world - needs to be bitch-slapped, fired, and shot. Preferably in that order, but I'm flexible on that.

The setting alone reeks of piss-poor, talentless writing; very few authors (outside of the historical fiction genre at least) can use real people effectively as characters. The readers' perceptions of current-era figures inevitably overshadows any characterization within the novel, as we 'know' the individuals in question.

This particular hack has avoided that eventuality, not through talent, but rather by avoiding all characterization thereof, and relying solely upon the readers' preexisting conceptions. Those characterizations will have an average shelf-life of about 7 years, after which very few people will know what the fuck is going on. Public figures do not remain so indefinitely, and it is, therefore, foolish to rely upon the assumption that the public at large will 'know' your characters.

If the aforementioned lack of characterization was intentional, it would be a workable - albeit extremely shortsighted - method. Given the utter lack of characterization for the few original/semi-original characters so far, I find it hard to believe that it was, in fact, intentional.

Rove calling Bush 'Dubya' reeks of the author's personal political stance, and is vaguely annoying.

This isn't original fiction; its the largest mesh of cross-over fanfiction I think I've ever seen. Everything is stolen pretty directly from either the current political scene or from well-known mythology of various cultures. The characterization is horrid, the setting and half the characters will be irrelevant in ten years, and the dubious 'creativity' of the author is limited to the concept of Armageddon as a war in which humanity has a chance. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I don't think the concept of 'let's shoot demons' is terribly novel. No pun intended.

In short, Oz is right: it's shit. Crawl back under your rock, and take the 'author' of this travesty with you.

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    So did you just come here to pimp this story or something? Because it's painfully obvious that you have no idea what kind of people, or what the general sentiments towards ANYTHING are on DLP.

Oh by the way guys, if a book has been published you can't say it's bad because you aren't published.

That's like authors saying "I only listen to reviews given by authors no one else is qualified"

Shut your kike mouth, Blackghost. You 'get the feeling we don't like this because we're fundies'. Well I get the feeling that your sitting there quivering in anger that we didn't all jump on this fics cock as hard as you did.

I also get the feeling that you know you're way over your head and that's why you're resorting to these piss poor arguments.

Get out.

11. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

I have not. I was just pointing out that the "he got published you didn't" argument isn't a sound one. Even editors can have horrible tastes.

Also, than != then.

12. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Wasn't the Dark Matter trilogy by Philip Pullman something similar? It had humans fighting angels and the God was actually an extremely powerful angel and one of the oldest ones or something...

I think I'll give this one a miss.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I lol'd. At least stay consistent in your blathering. And you did that apostrophe again in the couple sentences I quoted. Good gods. Yes, that's plural. It's to piss off religious fucks like you.

"He's a dirty heathen or he made a typo! I'VE GOT HIM NOW!"

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

<@Sidarth_r> The "His dark materials" trilogy was made of epic win though. Pullman is one of my favourite authors ever. Everything from the way he tells the story, the way the characters interact with each other and the variety and realism between the worlds makes it awesome. These are all things that this "great new fiction" does not have.

15. Seratin

High Score:
    Pullman is a genius. I was actually very dissapointed at the end of the third book. It was a brilliant ending but it was so *sniff* tragic....

/me walks away in tears. :(

16. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

::Sigh:: The old "He's done this and you haven't so you must suck" argument. If that is the requirement to be a critic then I guess people like Ebert and Roeper are just second rate critics since they don't make movies themselves? The argument hold no water. Don't use it ever again.

Trust me, you aren't paying this story a compliment when you say that it is better than most of the shit on FF.net.

P.S- The story sucks decaying donkey balls.

17. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yes I liked it (Dark Materials) too but it's been a while since I read it, can't recollect it too clearly. The second one was the book I enjoyed the most the one with the special knife that could open new dimensions (though the first gets points for the sheer level of fascination, even better than HP would be for a pre-teen). I think my time may be better invested by re-reading it...

@ blackghost - you really want to consider reading this series. I highly recommend it for you.

Edit: Has anyone seen the movie made from the first book? I've not had the time to look at the reviews for it...

18. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Which series was that? Did it have the Amber Spyglass or was their a character Sabrial?

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TEHAN DEMANDS YOU ARE CONSISTENT IN YOUR PERSONAL BELIEFS!

Yeah, I went there.

20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Oh, you slut.