1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Grimm

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by QuaziJoe, Oct 29, 2011.

1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

This was discussed in the Fall line up thread but I figure it deserves its own.

As a Reminder.

It's a Procedural Cop Drama about a procedural Cop.
    Meet the cast
    [​IMG]

He can also see monsters.
    [​IMG]

They seem to be taking the plot seriously, and for a first episode it wasn't bad. Also, the first kill in the opening gave me genuine goosebumps. That girl can scream.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, here's hoping it can keep its momentum.For those who still watch things on a regularly scheduled basis through the television broadcast schedules. Friday at about 8 PM (PST) NBC.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Watched it, wasn't totally blown away. Parts of it were genuinely creepy, but the whole backstory - this is who you are! - seemed rushed, if not forced.

The writing seemed stiff at points, like they were trying to shoe-horn in dramatic moments rather than let them flow.

The acting was actually pretty good, with the possible exception of Birkheart, who looked like he honestly didn't know what the fuck he was doing half the time, though the other half, he completely nailed it.

Over all, it just felt rushed - if it had been a two-part episode, I think it would have flowed better.

That being said, there were some genuinely creepy moments, and the episode's Big Bad completely freaked me out - not someone I would ever want to meet, dark alley or not.

Of course, this episode was seen by a person who had just seen the Big Bad Wolf music video, so maybe that coloured my reactions.

Whatever. I'll give it another episode.

3. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'll check it out.

And QuaziJoe, how the fuck do you spell the same word two different ways in the same sentence? I thought you were cleaning your posts the fuck up :/

4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

It wasn't half bad. Will follow for a couple more episodes to give it a fair judgment. :sherlock:

5. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Yeah, I felt that the scenes with the Aunt were really awkward. Especially right before they were attacked. A few scenes with too much exposition. The scenes with Monroe were the best part of the episode.

The show might be better if it wasn't a procedural cop show, but then it would be far too similar to Supernatural.

6. Nae

Nae The Violent

Hmm. Will definitely check this one out.

7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Yeah it was rushed like a crack head. I like that the partner was competent though. He put two and two together from that song.

The lead is a little stiff. He's like Ted from How I met your mother. You really only care about the side characters.

This show has a lot of good promise, and the premise is interesting. I'm surprised this didn't get a two hour premier since it is airing around halloween.

:facepalm sorry. I relapse

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

The pilot was good enough. It wasn't great by any means but did just enough to make me want to catch the next episode.

9. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Surprisingly, I felt like it sort of got upstaged by Once Upon a Time. I wasn't really surprised by anything that happened in Grimm, nor was I especially enchanted with the world it seems to be trying to build. It was ok and all, but it sort of just felt like BtVS remixed into a cop drama. The urban hidden fantasy genre on its own can't really carry the whole bill anymore, and I didn't really get the sense it was trying to distinguish itself much beyond that. Also the soon-to-be-wife is giving me vibes of being a 1D character there purely for purposes of angst and hostage taking.

There is cause for hope though, since it seemed like something resembling a long term plot arc is under construction. If this devolves into monster of the week it'll be truly beyond saving.

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Well it will have to be somewhat of a monsters of the week show. It's Grimms Fairy tales after all.

I'm expecting something similar to the first season of supernatural with their villainy.

I'm hoping it will become more esoteric because, for one, only he and his aunt can see the monsters for what they are. And other than the monsters wanting to kill them and displaying better than average fighting skills, with possible hints at super strength, it doesn't seem like they do anything that would normally draw attention from normal’s.

This could lead to the idea that he and his family share some kind of genetic schizophrenia and they train the new schizo's into the same delusion.

Or moral choices where he might have to save something he views as a evil monster to keep from drawing attention to the fact he sees them for what they are.

I'm suspecting the wife will most likely hold him back, or become his drive if she gets captured replaced, killed, or something else shocking. Unfortunately, this will happen after the first season or not at all.

Here's hoping the show surprises us all.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Double Post for New episode.

New episode was pretty damn okay.

The bad.
    The wife and whats his face have no chemistry at all. It was painful to watch them interact.
    Too much of the episode happens during daylight. Its a horror series. Give us more night shots.

The good.
    Dismemberment comedy. I was not expecting that.
    And the villains seem competent. The writers are overselling the mystery angle a little especially since they already revealed who the main villain is so far in the first episode. I can't look at that character now without thinking that they lost a chance to build up some massive shock value by revealing his villainy villainy or something.

Still 3 out of 5
    :|:|:|

12. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Best line: "You asked me to protect her, and I may have gone a little far."

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

On episode six as we speak, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

It's reminiscent of early Supernatural seasons with a simple mythology, cast and plot, and it does it well. It's not the greatest series on television currently, but it's pretty damn great for what it is, and I'd definitely suggest it to anyone burned out from Supernatural. :sherlock:

14. redshell

redshell Order Member

I'm not there quite yet, but I'm damn well close. Five seasons of the show in three weeks. I'm currently burning my way through the sixth.

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I thought Grimm started out fairly weak, but it does get better. The main character is the show's biggest problem. He's an annoyingly gungho, boyscout douche. At least he's learnt to break the law while following Grimm duties. As a police procedural, Grimm is utter bullshit because the cops break every rule they're supposed to follow and no one ever bats an eyelid.

Despite all of that, Grimm still works well. The monsters, secondary characters, mythology, and plots, all come together in a way that makes me eager to see the next week's episode. The show is building and I want to see how high it gets.

16. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

First:
    Monroe is Awesome. I like their relationship.

Second:
    This show has surprisingly gotten a lot better. I think it got overshadowed by Once upon a time which is also awesome.

It helps that the main character, while a little bland seems to be loosening up a little and embracing his grimmness.

But damn. Those coins.
    That episode was awesome; very Denarian style. I can't wait to learn more about the Captain. He is a Bad Ass villain.

17. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Did 20th episode come of as a little weird/different to you guys? There was just something wrong with it...

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not particularly.
    Greedy bat chick killed some peeps, Nick and Monroe intervened, bat chick eventually kicked the bucket.
    Seemed pretty standard to me. Perhaps it's because it went back to formulaic procedural format and ignored the overarching plot entirely.

19. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

The sixth and seventh seasons have completely knocked me out, this Grimm may be exactly what I need.

It all depends on how many of the cliches of the genre it has, cops with no regard for the rules with little to no consequences, no overarching plot worth a damn, tacked on romances...we'll see.Since this is a supernatural show it /should/ have some sort of plot though.

Hm.:sherlock:

20. syed

syed Supermod

Has any one seen a xover with Dresden files, the monsters and secret government makes me think it would be a great fit.