1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

WIP Grow Young With Me by Taliesin19 - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Steelbadger, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

World

I've never read Twilight, and probably won't, but I don't think Abby here falls under bland and undefined. The author strives to make her different with her personality and there's little snippets here and there about her past that is, I presume, subtly painting a picture of her life.

I should point out that I may be biased/have more info. on her specifically than most of you because the author has been posting random facts on her characters (Abby mostly) on her tumblr.

I totally should've rechecked this thread...

2. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Updated.

We finally get what I presume to be the full story behind Abby's family and the phone call and letters from earlier are explained. It's.. I don't want to say it's standard, but it certainly seems like it's a common sort of family differences that leads to estrangement. But it still tugged at my heartstrings, just a little bit.

We also get Drunk!Harry, which made me laugh a little. While I didn't think that that would be the way that Harry discovers Abby's attraction, in hindsight it was probably fairly obvious that there wasn't a way for Harry to say anything that could be construed as attraction towards her unless he was drunk. And if Harry never said anything Abby would definitely not say anything.

The funeral scene is excellent, especially the kids. I continue to be impressed by how real the story is. The kids made me remember myself visiting my grandparents' grave when I was younger, how I didn't have anything to say but I felt like I should, and there's simultaneously a million things you want to say and a million reasons not to. Hard to explain, really.

Mostly solid chapter. Very much enjoyed a few of the scenes, although the Ginny angst feels a little over-the-top.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll admit I've never seen Ginny's full name be 'Ginevra' before.

4. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

...Really?

I feel like I remember Molly yelling "Ginevra Molly Weasley" a lot.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's always been 'Ginerva', whenever I see it.

Also, as for the chapter, it's all just one huge eyeroll. I'm not even going to talk about the phonecall, probably one the most lazy things I have ever seen put in writing. Wait, I just talked about it. Fuck.

You mean to tell me that the impossibly cheerful and hyperactive character was actually hiding a painful past that still tears her apart to this day? Gasp! That is so out of the left field! Who could've seen that coming?

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Well it's a new update. :facepalm And I didn't feel like the story went anywhere because of it either. Twenty four chapters and things are still beating around the goddamn bush, and now we have Abby's emo to deal with as well.

7. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Personally, predictable doesn't equate to a poor story.

Sure, it's a trope. Sure it's been done before. Sure we saw it coming from like chapter 6.

But it's not as if it was bad. At least I didn't see it that way.

8. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Updated.

I personally think that the second half of the chapter was better than the first.

The way that Abby kind of discovers magic is wonderful, although there were a couple moments that I frowned and maybe had to take with a grain of salt. Overall, the whole Muggle meets Wizarding World thing is done a lot better than the (rather limited) other find that have attempted it.

I don't buy the way the Muggle-Repelling Charm dispelled though. I feel like it's a barrier rather than a specific action (opening the front gates). I did appreciate the mechanism behind the spell where the world distorts and reforms into reality, I think I like that interpretation rather than just having everything change instantaneously in the moment you cross the line or whatever.

Solid return after over a year IMO.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Sixth Year

High Score:
    Woohoo! I‘ll probably have to read some of the older chapters first to get back into the swing of things, but this is a nice surprise to end my day.

When I‘m up to speed I‘ll also type up a review. From my year-old recollection, it was somewhere in 3.5-4/5 territory.

10. Donimo

Donimo Seventh Year

I liked the way the magic worked, it was very in line with what we've seen with Harry finding the Leaky Cauldron only after Hagrid points it out.