1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gtx 1080 price dropping hard

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Krieger, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The gtx 1080 price has started dropping hard in preperation for the ti and vega. One week ago you couldnt get it below $1059 AU, now theres some cheap versions for $859 AU. Dropped $200 in one week.

Now I am debating on whether to get the 1080 (in a couple months when its dropped even more) or the new ti/vega once some benchmarks have been released.

Honestly the 1080 would be overkill for my needs, but I figure if I'm going to spend that much I might as well spend a little more and get top of the range.

Thoughts? Anyone else watching the market and if so what are your plans? I'm keen for VR as I haven't tried it yet.

2. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

If you've got the cash and the patience, I'd definitely wait and get the best you can afford. Especially if you're interested in getting into VR.

I've heard a few horror stories of people going for the bare minimum for VR and ending up getting sick/etc. due to low frame rate and such.

(Granted, most of them are using bare minimum gear and still trying to run it at max settings.)

3. Slasher

Slasher Squib

High Score:
    I would wait a little and try and getting the best you can get whether it's the gtx 1800 or the ti/vega. I have tried out vr at my friends house. He had a real nice computer so eveything went well. It was pretty cool.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My go to response to anything computer related is pretty much just "Eh, wait it out."

We're so far along with technology and things advance so quickly that it always seems like if you just have patience you can get the card for hundreds less.

5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I'm looking to get one of these suckers sometimes soon. It's noticeable since I'm hoping the 1080TI pushes the price of the 1080 down some. What method would be the best to find price drops?

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll be building a computer in the next 2 months... but I don't really feel like I need a 1080. Still planning on a 1070. But the price drop is tempting regardless, damn.

7. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

Everyone says the GTX 1080 (and the Titans) are dropping hard, but where do I buy them?

P.S. In Australia*

8. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If you can, wait a little longer. Current rumors are Vega might be released this month, which may push prices of the 1080/1070 further down. And maybe Vega will even be able to compete with the 1070/1080 (well, in all honesty it should, since there's not really a place for a card weaker than the 1070) while perhaps even being cheaper.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I just get my stuff from pccasegear in australia if you are buying parts, pretty cheap (don't know if there are others cheaper, haven't looked that hard tbh) and they have good delivery times, usually shipping the next business day after ordering.

As for 1080 vs 1070, at the moment I feel like the 1080 is a so-so card, its no longer king. If you want 4k gaming the ti is the only real choice for single gpu, the 1080 was a good option when it was the only real option but it isn't a solid 4k card, arguments to be made that even the ti isn't, true beastly 4k cards will probably be the next generation next year.

If you are only playing at 1440p or below unless you want 100+ fps at max settings then the 1070 would be my choice since it would still pull over a solid 60fps at max on 1440p while being a relatively cheap card. It will murder anything on 1080p.

But yeah, you might as well wait for vega release now since it's so close even if you don't plan on going AMD it will still force the pascal cards down.

10. Morphe

Morphe Squib

High Score:
    Waiting it out is always the best choice because in the end the hardware is always going to be outdated sooner or later and if you are concerned for budget you can always sacrifice CPU clock speed to get a better graphic card.
    What do you focus on anyways?
    Performance, quality or a balance between the two?
    Personally I go for performance rather than quality where basically as long as I can get 60fps at medium settings I'm fine.