1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Halo 3: Collapse by an REG Omega - T - Halo

Discussion in 'Games' started by Andro, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: Halo 3: Collapse
    Author: an REG Omega
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    Pairing: None
    Summary: While the fate of the Human Sangheili alliance lies in doubt, untested UNSC private Jersey Morelli must face down an old threat as humanity confronts a new one. Chapter 18, Trial By Fire, is now online. Part Two of Two.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2703722/1/Halo_3_Collapse

Alright, imagine if Tom Clancy suddenly decided to write fanfiction for Halo, and leave the drudgery of his writing behind.

By chapter eleven this had me reading the Wikipedia summaries on the Halo universe to understand everything.

The sole downside is that it isn't nearly as Master Chief-centric as I would like. Ultimately however, there are other stories that serve well when I want to read about someone rampaging through hordes of enemies, but I would choose the superbly detailed psuedo-science, the cultures of the Elites, detailed assassinations, and the intricate political backstabbing and maneuvering over it any day.

The writing is very solid, but occasionally shows a higher brilliance. I wish I could find the particular example from the 200,000 words but I'll paraphrase.

The Supreme Judge 's visage hardened in resolve. He would die for his people before allowing the Prophets to wreak their havoc.

That was exactly what he did. A violet beam lanced out, splitting through his mandibles and penetrating through the back of his skuill. The body collapsed on the balcony and -

If you've thought you've read a political!Harry or political!anyone-at-all story for Harry Potter, be it Chimera: More Snake than Lion by Apocalypso-33 or Of Blacks and Malfoys by Methene, you haven't yet, not even close.

Read it! 5/5

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

My favorite story in the fandom, and probably the longest fanfic I've ever bothered to reread. Chapters 10 and 15 tend to stand out above the rest, not only due to the superb action sequences, but the many excerpts similar to Andromalius' transcript above.

5/5, as I am enjoying it now as much as I did when I started 2 years ago.

3. Andro

Unfortunately it tends to be overshadowed by other fics, such as The End of a War, which is great in its own right, but it's hard to compare them when they are each have their own strengths.

Before reading this I hadn't thought of how adapted Halo was for intrigue.

If this guy were to write for HP...

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Please put rating and fandom in title, no matter how obvious.

Thank you.

5. Andro