1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Hamartia by Scela Letifer-PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Lady Almaren, May 3, 2006.

1. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

I must admitt that this was a pretty awsome story. Wow I believe is a great discription for it.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I expected more with all the wow's it got. Okay, but meh...

3. Hey. Since FA seems to have lost this fic (and author for that matter) does anyone have it archived? If so, would you be willing to share it with me? Thanks,

CP

cootiepatootie (at) yahoo.com

Thanks a million!!!

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

That was VERY ill. And I mean that in the best way possible. Superb. Possibly the best one shot in fandom.

6. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

meh. I have a few bones to pick with this. First of all, the cache isn't working, and second of all, "Hamartia" is Greek for the tragic flaw in a tragedy that ends up bringing the demise or misfortune of the Tragic Hero. As an example, in "The War on Iraq", Bush's hamartia could be, say, hubris. (Okay, that was stupid. I'll try again.) In "Oedipus Rex", Oedipus' hamartia is fucking his mom and killing his dad, and because Phoibos was an asshole.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

THREAD REOPENED since darklordmike oh so helpfully located a new working link to the fic. One in which the author conveniently fixed the spelling on her fic title.

First post's link has been updated.

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Not much to say about this one, except that you should read it if you haven't already done so. Definitely one of the best oneshots out there, for my money at least.

5/5

9. Gatonio

Gatonio Squib

Mumbai (India), Leysin (Switzerland), London (Engl
    Oh my... That was... Oh my, my, my....
    Amazing work... Stupendous. The last scene, it was like a final, fleeting crescendo that ended the stage with subtlety. The entire story was like a dramatic play filled with irony and rich with deceit. It was... aspirational! Bravo! Brava!

5/5

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you mean 'Inspirational'.

Either way, will edit with comments, considering the reviews left here, I look forward to reading this quite a lot.

11. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Eh, it's okay. I mean, it delivers what it sets out to perfectly, it's well written, characterizations are excellent, and isn't drawn out any longer than it needed to be. But I feel I've read several other short pieces that achieve the exact same at the exact same level of author prowess (funnily enough, I also recall one similar to this that included minor slash references such as this). It didn't 'wow' me like the other pieces did - maybe because I feel I've read it all before, or because it just wasn't that great.

I'll be in the minority and rate it 3/5.

12. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

I've read this a while ago and this is definitely library-worthy. Why is it here?

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I agree with scary, it's competently written, psychological, and all that, but it focuses on characters no one cares about, and feels like an Oscar-hungry movie.

14. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

Really good. It even managed, for the most part, to avoid the awkward sentences that are really common in this type of fic.

Though this line is very lulzy.

15. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Awesome, is all I can say.

The writing is exceptional, the characterisation is perfect, the narration exquisite and very vivid.

In particular though, Dumbledore's characterisation was excellent. His manipulation's were also very nicely executed. He doesn't come out and say what he wants others to do, but gives barely enough subtle hints for people to do what he intends. I can definitely say that of all the manipulative!Dumbledore stories that I have seen done, this is one of the finest.

5/5, one of the best one-shots I have ever read.

16. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

It was very interesting and well written, but it didn't quite have the same pull many of my favourite one-shots do. Still, it's definitely worth more than the Bin and it was an excellent read.

4/5

17. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

One of the few early entries into the library that still passes muster. Peter and (manipulative!) Dumbledore are written with an uncharacteristic amount of depth, the prose hangs together well, and the final battle is evocatively stylized (even more so than its aftermath, justly lauded above). Of course, one might yearn for a touch more introspection as the divergence widens, or question if the narrative minimalism obscures crucial structural flaws (just how did Peter spend the intervening years?), or wish the author had struck an unlikable line from Sirius, and yet . . . it manages to turn canon on its head without challenging the integrity of the source, and that's a rare thing.

5/5

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  18. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

It's a good story well executed, but I agree with Andro in that it's too self aware in places for me. Novera gave the first and most heavily felt example, but it's felt all throughout that the author is trying, and mostly succeeding, to make a piece of literature, rather than a fanfic. There's nothing wrong with aiming high, and the result is rather good, but it does feel pretentious in places.

It's an unusual approach to a fanfic and it's stood the test of time, but I can't rate this 5/5 due to personal preference, so 4/5 it is.