1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Happily Ever After by Jeconais - Teens - Gabrielle

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by bornagainpenguin, May 25, 2008.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: Happily Ever After
    Author: Jeconais
    Rating: Teens +
    Genre: Comedy, Fluff, General
    DLP Category: Humor, Alternate or Romance
    Pairing: Gabrielle
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 85,148
    Published: May 22, 2008
    Updated: July 10, 2008

Summary: If you sit very quietly, I’ll tell you the real story of a Prince and his Princess, and how they changed the world.

Link: Start here

From the Introduction.....
    I really enjoyed the introduction (with its small prologue) and the first chapter very much. I couldn't help myself, by the time I got to the middle I was smiling so hard my face hurt. There's a good feeling all over this fic, and I'm expecting it to be a lot of fun...I just can't but help wondering what Jecionais has in mind now that...

...Voldemort and all the Death Eaters are gone? Of course there's still Minister Fudge to think about given what we know of him from the books following book four, but he makes a really poor villian don't you think? Still...

...it's classic Jeconais with all the good stuff, so hopefully that won't be an issue and we'll REALLY see some creativity on Jeconais as he more or less has to create his own setups here for which to build on. I can;t help but note the feeling of Epicness here and find myself wondering if after he finishes this he too will begin to work towards building his own literary universes to play in....

Go read the fic, no seriously...go...go...read...stop reading this when you could be reading the fic! Git! Scram! Shoo! Shoo! I say...

--bornagainpenguin

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I considered posting this here, but decided against it. It's very good, definitly up to his usual high quality, but it's just way too... sweet.

3.5/5

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I know...but sometimes sweet is good, you know? Besides, right now Harry is still under the effects of a calming draught so his true emotions have yet to surface, not to mention you've still got...
    the children of the Death Eaters to think about...I'm sure that at fourth year not ALL of them were marked yet, so...
    ...I'm pretty sure that things are going to be quite different in tone as the story progresses. There's also that spell Hermione cast on Harry...I'm expecting there were unexpected side effects, I mean how careful are you REALLY around someone you think is...

--bornagainpenguin

4. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Unless something spectacularly unexpected occurs, (which, given the author, is a possibility), I can't see this being terribly good. At the moment, its 97% fluff, content free, and the romantic setup is contrived at best. Kiss the hot veela waking you up, hell yes, but its not really the best (or most original) setup in the history of the fandom.

I won't rate it until I have a clearer idea of where it's going, but its about a 3/5 for me right now. In all fairness though, fluff is one of the labeled genres, and, while I don't particularly like said genre and rate accordingly, this is infinitely better than most fluff.

5. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Come on...it is supposed to be 'fluffy'.

Seriously, though, there are some great set up lines in there and this is one of the things Jeconais has had kicking around in his head for quite a while. Yes, it is still too early to actually rate, but it does have potential.

6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

If taken for what this is, and not for what it doesn't even claim to be, it deserves a definite 5/5.

7. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

It is 100% fluffy, but its great fluff. 5/5

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, I read this yesterday. It's... decent. I have a few things to bitch about though.

First, when Harry realized that Fudge was still in office, he says, "That tosser is still in office?"

What the fuck? Harry doesn't think of Fudge as anything more than a slighty bumbly old man, but still a nice person. After all, he did let him come back to Hogwarts after he blew up his Aunt. Unneeded character bashing gets on my fucking nerves.

Also, wtf at his personality. Suddenly he's a mini-James, just because his father told him to have fun with life? Yeah, that would happen in real life, someone tells you how you should act, and you immediately act that way. No character fucking development at all.

9. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Ok...where to begin.

Firstly, Harry has been 'out of it' for about eight years. One of the last things he remembers is Dad telling him to have fun. No problem there. Good thing to listen to Dad, right?

Well, you do have to remember that for most of the time he was out, he was being force fed all sorts of info. Not only what Hermione thought was a good idea...school work, but the Twins, Sirius and Remus where giving him extracurricular items, too. (Kama Sutra, anyone?)

I would imagine that Remus probably gave him lots of James life story. Sirius probably very intimate details of all their shenanigans and then some. Plus, right at that moment, he was very 'under the influence'.

So I would say, that at that point, Harry's behavior, while being outside of 'normal' could be easily explainable, and probably will be in later chapters.

As to whether or not it was really an uncalled for bash...Harry, even though he may not consciously be aware of it at that moment has been kept up on daily events and has formed an opinion of the 'news makers'.

So before going off, this was just the first chapter and it was mainly set up at that. Jeconais did warn that there would be a fair amount of 'back story' revealed in upcoming chapters, probably through Pensieve scenes.

So, in that context, things are not so far out as they may seem at first glance.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... he's been out of it for 10 years, so he still should act the same way he did when he was 14 years old. And please, ones personality doesn't change when someone tells you to. Any change to a personality will takes months, if not years of small changes.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I rather enjoyed it, fluff can be a good thing. Some of the lines made me laugh out loud, which is always a great thing to find in a story.

12. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

I had to force myself to keep reading through this. It was just so incredibly...corny. It is a good fluff piece but it is difficult to read without facepalming.

13. Ikaros Mephisto

Ikaros Mephisto First Year

Okey... I knew it was fluff, I knew it would be one of those fics, but I just wasn’t prepared for this:​
    <o></o>
    And please don’t try... and also *cringe*:puke:
    I mean this line is right up there with: “So, you ever seen the inside of a van?” *shiver*<o></o>
    <o>
    </o>​
    Oh no...​
    <o>
    </o>​
    Dumbledore walked over to the dome and started to cast some spells. He gasped loudly. “I don’t believe it,” he muttered. He turned to face everyone. In a loud voice, he said, “Those silver lines are connections to Voldemort’s Horcruxes. They are containers for Voldemort’s soul, which was why he didn’t die the first time that Harry defeated him.”
    Face to palm... *groan*. I mean, yes, it’s one of those fics, but that still does not exempt cheesy creepy lines. Corny lines are one thing; cheesy stupid ones are a no - no.​
    <o>
    </o>​
    Oh thank heavens, it gets better! I actually like Harry under a calming potion, I’m partially hoping he’ll get addicted to them and stay that way and he’s actually rather funny. I really, really don’t mind the way he and Gabrielle are acting. She could be far more wary than she is, but what the hell. I suppose its more cannon to have him all brooding and what not, but I like the shift it fits the overall theme I get from the writing. ​
    <o>
    </o>​
    *tries to breath* there are some Way too long sentences. Punctuation wouldn’t go amiss during Harry’s rapid fire questioning, unless that’s on purpose?​
    <o>
    </o>​
    Hmm, Gabrielle is starting to get on my nerves. Prissy chicks are not even slightly cool, nor attractive. Sarcastic and dangerous women, yes, but not prissy stuck ups. Fleur is also starting to annoy me, her prudishness clashes with the Veela culture she must have been introduced to. I would be much more comfortable with Mrs Weasley being the prude. ​
    <o>
    </o>​
    2.5/5 For a bit of fluff it’s actually not that bad. It brings a smile even a lol from time to time, provided you can get over the cringe worthy moments. I wouldn’t recommend it, but I might revisit it when I need cheering up.

14. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

And you've never been around anyone drunk off their ass?

Takes only a few minutes...

15. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

For you, maybe.

Edit: Also, he's talking about a permanent change in character, you nigger. Not a night's worth of drunk behaviour.

16. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I read this when I first got the alert that it was first posted, I liked it. Nothing really epic at this time, but I like it. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

17. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Nice, Mors, nice...shows your intelligence level when you stoop to racial slurs to get your point across, you ill-bred, misbegotten, son of a she-cur.

And who said anything about Harry's current behavior as being permanent? After all, the chapter covers a couple of hours, if that, while Harry is under the influence of quite a dose of potion...

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Protips:
    He's still drugged
    It's been more then a month Sree ;)
    Tosser == explained by someone telling him all the shit Fudge has done.
    Personality is best reflected in the subconcious where a shit load of information has been stored over the past ten years inside his BRAINZ!

19. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Er... no. Logic got my point across. The racial slur was just for the sake of it, you stupid nigger.

20. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

I bow to your infinite logic, then...

now crawl back under your rock, with all the other happy little trolls.