1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. malaga

malaga Auror

I attempted to create a Harry/Fleur in the Kill Ginny thread...

You know, you guys could write something there too?

Gah, who am I kidding? Please please do! Harry/Fleur FTW!!

2. Methene

Methene Auror

Malaga is perfectly right. Her and I have done our short duty to Harry/Fleur in the Ginny kill-off thread. I summon the rest to do the same.

3. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hmm... Circular Reasoning will be Harry/Fleur in later chapters.

I just spent the last hour looking for good H/F fics and I didn't find shit. It's up to DLP to rectify that. ;)

4. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Let me apologize for making it sound like you actually endorsed this fic. I meant my comments more as a general warning for anyone thinking of reading the fic.

Also after reading these posts I'm thinking of trying my hand at writing a Harry/Fleur fic. Though I make no promises to whether it actually gets done or not.

5. Methene

Methene Auror

An idea has occurred to me today. The shared sentiment overall from the H/F community is that there is a lack of good quality H/F stories. Since the holidays are approaching, I figured it would be a good idea to have a little Christmas challenge going around.

What I am proposing is that several of the posters in this thread, myself included, get on to working on a H/F novel length story. I set the standard at 40,000 words minimum, and I hope we can all complete the stories.

In house rules:

I The story must be a H/F story, not a Harry/multi
    II The story can be anything you want it to be, post GoF, AU, post OotP etc etc.
    III Let us aim to have at least 20,000 words by New Years Eve.

Generally speaking, the objective is to increase the H/F community. I say we appoint a panel of judges and grant a Harry/Fleur community award to the best story at the end of January.

I myself will start off with the idea I had for the Ginny kill off thread, a post DH Harry/Fleur story, with my usual added taste of international wizardry, old world elegance and charm.

Anyone wish to join me in this noble quest?

6. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'm not really good at writing, but I'm willing to be a judge

7. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

I love forward to the results of this challenge.

8. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I would love to be involved, I look forward to offering constructive critiques.

9. Lord Mysterious

Lord Mysterious Squib

I will give this challenge a try. I cant start writing for another 3 or 4 weeks so I probably wont reach that 20000 word count by new years.

10. malaga

malaga Auror

I'll have a go, but am not so good with continuing stories. I generally get bored half way... But for H/F I will try!

11. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I would encourage anyone to write a decent Harry/Fleur that doesn't degenerate into H/Multi or involve the words Veela Mate.

In Lie, I'll do my best to try and realistically bring HJ and Fleur togther. It won't happen overnight because the approach I am taking is similar to what CGB posted earlier about Fleur's attitude being somewhat of a defense mechanism.

Because my fic is more focused on the actual tournament rather than it being used as a vehicle for Voldemort's resurrection, there will be much more character interaction around the various tasks including 1 on 1 duels. When they duel for the first time is probably the moment Fleur will start taking HJ seriously (not as a love interest, but as a competitor) unless I opt to have HJ duel Krum before her, in which case, she might actually be slightly afraid...

Fleur will be a major character in this story, but if you're looking to catch them in a closet before chapter 20, you may be disappointed.

Anyway, Fleur and Tonks both have similar problems in that they most often end up as sex kittens. The age gap with Tonks becomes an issue moreso than Fleur.

A possiblitiy for Harry/Gabby would be to have Harry petrifed instead of Hermione only because the curse scar on his head the Mandrake cure doesn't work or works at a glacial pace causing him to come out of his petrified state years later. Perhaps Gabby transferred to Hogwarts following Fleur to England (she was still a TWT contender and perhaps still met Bill - or an interesting twist would be her meeting Charlie handling the dragons).

Harry returns to a world where Hermione and Ron have graduated. Maybe Ginny is Head Girl? Or since this is DLP you can have her commit a painful suicide because of what she did to him. His whole world is somewhat shattered.

I could picture Dumbledore taking him back to the Dursley each summer and them sticking him in a closet or using him as a coatrack...just to renew his protections. Perhaps the petrification carries over to the disembodied Dark Lord preventing further machinations from Voldemort.

So the still 12 yr old returns and must make new friends - enter Gabby.

Sorry went off on a tangent there especially in a Harry/Fleur thread.

Back to that pair, without some way of equalizing the age gap between the two whether it's aging Harry or doing a sleeping beauty number on Fleur the difficult reality of hot 17 yr olds looking at 14 yr olds becomes a problem. I can see a 6th year fic as more believable (just not the whiny punkass from HBP).

Fifth year expelled by the Ministry and sent to Beauxbatons could work. I remember one where Harry is mentored by Snape's bitch of a daughter once in France, but I didn't like it all that much (it wasn't H/Fleur).

The downside to that is you have to write Beauxbatons and writing a whole new magical school for the sake of a ship becomes the equivalent of pounding the square peg into the round hole.

7th year Horcrux hunt could work, it necessitates Kill Bill volume 3, but a grieving Veela might be just the cure the chest monster needs.

Hope this helps anyone else heading down this avenue.

Jim

12. Methene

Methene Auror

Great to hear from all of you, both interested readers and authors. So far we have gathered the following followers:

Methene
    Malaga
    Lord Mysterious

Although Jbern has started writing due to another challenge, he is also doing a H/F.

Thank you all for the enthusiasm, and let us see a better day for this pairing when our stories set off.

Jbern, I plan to do my story after DH, when the age difference would not be a big deal. After all, if Harry is 24 and Fleur is 27 there is no difference in the eyes of themselves, or society.

Let us consider Anakin/Padme. He was 9 when he met her, she was 14. That is a 5 year difference. And despite the critics clamoring that their relationship did not work out in the end, I don't think it was the age difference that destroyed it.

13. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The older a couple gets the less an age gap matters.
    EX:
    14 to 17 seems like a large gap.
    20 to 23 seems medial at worst.
    50 to 53 makes little to no difference at all.

(Oh, and in my high school last year the senior chick considered the hottest in her grade (and the school by FAR) was dating a Sophomore, 15 year old. So it's possible.)

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Heur is rollin this bitch now.

15. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Or, would it be `eur?

16. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

I can't call myself a Harry/Fleur fan but, nevertheless, this pairing does have a certain appeal to it and I, sometimes, check the Harry & Fleur portion of ff.net. Unfortunately, this ship doesn't get enough attention from good authors (in fact, it doesn't get enough attention at all)

Out of all H/F fics that I read I truly enjoyed (and still enjoy, as the matter of fact) only The Lie I've Lived. This story is... I don't know... greatly "balanced", I'd say. All of its components are in nearly perfect proportions - we don't get enough characters' relations to get sick of them and there is enough action not to get relatively bored. Most of fics are overdosing me with one or another.

The Secret Diary of Fleur Delacour, aged 16 34, Scorpion's Sting and Secret of the Male Veela are not bad either. I really liked The Secret Diary but its sequel simply doesn't provide us with anything new. The author needs some fresh ideas. Secret of the Male Veela isn't half-bad too, but I'm just not into Harry/Many fics.

I honestly tried reading The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Ligh... I even went as far as watching a bit of "Buffy" to better understand the characters. Imagine my utter disappointment when I realised just how absolutely simplified those characters turned out to be in the fic. I haven't felt so cheated since my cousin got a better bike than I did when we were 6. :wall:

So, right now, the only Harry/Fleur fic that I'm keeping tabs on is The Lie I've Lived, although I'd really love to read something else. (jbern isn't the fastest updater in the world and he has two other stories to work on)

P.S. Oh, yeah, there are some worthy Harry/Gabrielle fics as some people mentioned here too. Jeconais is the man for those ones.

17. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

Only if you reeaally like fluff.

Is H/F Heur or Fleurry or Flarry?

18. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Oh, well, it's not like we have much of a choice here. ;)

Erm... Why don't we leave Harry/Fleur be Harry/Fleur?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  19. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I never acatually thought I'd say this, but...

Hell, I'll take a stab at it. I make no promises either.

20. Drajjen

Drajjen First Year

Thought I would post a plot idea. I, of course, won't be writing it (not very good at that), but wanted to throw it out there anyway.

Reading through this thread Fluer is basically, a "good" character who uses her age and experience to help Harry out, at least a little bit. Or she realizes that being with Bill is a mistake. Or lastly, with Jbern's "Lie", the relationship will form due to respect Harry wins in Fluer's eyes, and the fact that most of her attitude is a defense mech.

My idea was that Fluer really is a catty "bitch". She is a pureblood princess on the lines of Narcissa Malfoy. She sees Harry in the tournament, and realizes that with a push in the right direction, Harry's political and economic clout could catapult him into being "at the very least minister of magic" at some point. And who better than herself to be the wife of the minister.

Course after that point it would become AU. Either have Harry gradually turn the tables on Fluer and become the dominante one in the relationship. Or have Fluer subtly manipulate Harry through the entire thing (lets face it, canon Harry is not very dificult to manipulate).

I realize this plot device is not very new, as some Harry/Slytherin Princess fics use the same thing. This one would have the added benefit of bringing in a whole other country into the war (if your that ambitious).

Anway, just a thought.

Edit*

Just had another thought for a reason to get Harry and Fluer to talking in a non Hogwarts setting. We know from the end of GOF that Fluer was trying to find a job as a way back to Egland or some such. I am not positive if Fluer working for Gringotts is fannon or cannon, however, it would be a good plot device to get Harry and Fluer to talk.

Fluer realizes that she needs some type of introduction to the goblins of gringots, something above and beyond what normal references and school achievements could give her. Her brilliant idea is to go to one the largest account holders in gringotts...Harry, and ask him to give a recomendation to the Goblins.

Of course from there if you wanted to go with the independent route Harry could be stunned that he had that much money, which leads him to find out that AD is hiding more crap from him.

Just another idea.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007