1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Meciel vs Harry/Amanda

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Harry/Meciel vs Harry/Amanda

1. Meciel

45.1%
  2. Amanda

49.3%
  3. Other

5.6%
  1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The mainstay of Charity's character is her loyalty to her family, not to even mention that Harry wouldn't sink that low. -_- Hell, doing this would reduce both Harry and Charity to OC's, besides would 'God' let it happen? :awesome

If you're going to start to write omake's the the D series start off low key, get a feel forwriting the characters in character, and then try and branch out into more OC territory.

Might I suggest Verrine as a starting point?

I was going to write an Omake for her but Shezza has been harassing me to write another Amanda one.

2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

But aren't we talking about omakes here? I always assumed omakes to be small scenes where the characters behaved very differently, so yes although Charity is very loyal to her family and all that, by calling it an omake it allows the existing character development and observed behavioral patterns to be bypassed which could lead to epic Harrry/Charity fun.

Anyway starting off small is never fun, I've always thought it's better to fail grandly than to be mediocre.

3. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Better to learn from the mistakes of others and start small before going down in flames on a grand scale, especially if you can avoid failing entirely. And as far as the Omakes for this series go, they're all extensively plausible as far as characterization and potential inclusion in the plot. By in large they make sense.

The moment you dick around with the characterization is the moment it loses that sense of "authenticity" or believability and stops being a part of the series as a whole and starts being something else entirely. It's basically just hijacking the characters and throwing them into an implausible situation.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh, that honestly sounds terrible, and something i'd never read. I know Shezza loves having Omakes written about the Denarian series, but I hope to god he doesn't agree to this one.

I have no wish to even consider a Harry/Charity relationship. Its just... wrong. Somehow. Not to mention being OOC.

Edit: CaffeineAddict made some very good points there as well. I agree with his above post.

5. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Have you watched anime or read manga, that is the whole premise of omakes and that is what I thought omakes were, taking serious characters and making them do OOC and nonsensical things.

I admit by making them act totally out of character does in fact smack of taking known characters and using their fame and fanbase to garner attention, but the whole premise of Harry/Charity is so implausible that an OOC element must be introduced, of course if Charity became so completely different that she couldn't be recognised as the character from Shezza's fics then it wouldn't really work but the difficulty lies in establishing her as that character and then adjusting her so that she still remains at least somewhat that character but allowing her to enter into a situation where there might be some Harry/Charity.

I may well fail at writing that situation, I believe I can do it though, which was why I wrote in my message to Shezza that he could have final say on whether to post it or not. If it was too full of fail he could just nix it. Of course if he completely rejects the premise entirely, I wouldn't write it except perhaps for my own amusement and I wouldn't post it, it's his fic and his characters he holds the copyright to them ultimately.

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

On principle I agree with meatz'. An omake can be the things he says.

However, your particular idea, meatz', does not do much for me beyond the whole PWP thing.

My personal take on omakes is a 'what if?' or a 'deleted scene' kind of thing.

omake philosophies aside, it is unlikely that Shezza will say no, given how nice she is. I just don't like the particular idea.

Of course, if you were to make it a Charity/Molly/Amanda thing where Momma and BigSis teach sweet Amanda how things work...well we'd all be on board and how.

Imagine it, a 'coming-of-age' omake.

(puns so intended)

7. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Introduces palm to face, now why didn't I think of that, my lack of forum trawling is the obvious reason but anyway that opens the possibility for true Japanese lolicon omake ecchiness, but that stuff always makes me really uncomfortable.

Could of course set it in the future but it smacks to me of the more desparate PWP, which is the foundation of doujin, hentai comics and AFF fics everywhere. *Pauses* That's all the more reason to write it now that I think about it.

8. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I am teh nice woman. Don't forget that, my little N bitch!

That said, I have absolutely no problems with people writing me omakes- provided I get to read it at the end. The execution of ideas and plots and all that, I leave to the others to review and either praise/criticise. I just get a sort of happy thrill knowing that people are writing fanfiction on my fanfiction.

So yeah. Write your omake, if you want. I won't neither laud nor condem your idea if you still want to go with it. If there's another you have in your mind, use that if you want. As long as you post in the Dresden Work by Author and let us all have a read, it's cool. If I like it, I might even put it in the Dresden Omakes I have on FF.Net.

Have fun
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  9. Innomine

High Score:
    How entirely... unexpected Shezza.

You should practice your mean genes! Give em a little exercise now and then.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not her fault, she's just a nice person.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Energy used in the creation of omakes can be used to create something new and your own.

12. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Far more energy required to make something of my own even though I probably would feel infinitely better for having done so. Well I have exams on Friday and after that the Harry/Charity---->Amanda/Molly loving might begin.

13. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Can I do Harry/Dumbledore?

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

15. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Great. Now I'm associating Harry/Dumbledore with Jim/Pam.

Thanks angelofdreams.

And to stay on topic, write whatever you want - just write it well.

16. Teapot

Teapot Third Year

First and foremost, apologies for the necroing. I realise that as a total newbie it's probably not the smartest thing to do, but I honestly wasn't sure where else to turn with this (as I see it) issue.
    It's also entirely possible that I'm just being a blind, stupid fuck, but here goes nothing: I just downloaded the DPL Archive/Library provided by…something-penguin (sorry for not remembering, great work on that by the way) and was dismayed not to find the Denarian Lord in it. After some lurking, hunting and tracking, I've also concluded that it's not in the 'Recycle bin' or pending review. I think both of these are ruled out for obvious reasons.
    If the story in question is in the library; well, just smack me on the head and call me an idiot. I surely deserve it. If it is not, however, I'm curious as to why not, and feel that this should be rectified. Surely it deserves a spot, especially considering that part 1 and 2 are both included. As stated above, I think this is an issue that needs addressing, and perhaps someone with a little more power behind them could do something about it? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I repeat that I might very well just have been blinded by the Denarian trilogy's awesomeness, and thus not spotted it.
    Much kudos to Shezza for writing a great trilogy, and for actually being the reason I found my way here. After reading all of your author notes I decided I just had to check this forum out, and I've decided to hang around =)

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

18. Innomine

High Score:
  19. Anme

Anme Professor

Edit: Way too late.

20. Teapot

Teapot Third Year

Thanks, to all three (and God, you guys are quick). It being in the Dresden Files section would explain why I couldn't find it in the regular Library, though I guess I ought to have checked there, too. Lesson learned.
    Just one question, to Ellisande. The Dresden WBA?