1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry / Murphy - The new Harry / Ginny?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Darius, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @anlun

Though I agree with the fangirls possibly flooding the community with VampireCure!Dresden, I doubt even they would be stupid enough to come up with a 'cure' that simultaneously cures both the Red Court vampires, which are basically a diseased human and the White Court vampires, who have a f****** demon anchored to their souls.

2. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I think Murphy has been poorly portrayed in the last few books, Butcher seems to be trying for the whole normal human side of things and it's gone a little wrong. That said, I can see Murphys reaction as a lot of bluster, she's way out of her depth and is trying to cling to something that she holds precious. She's dramatically underpowered compared to the rest of the cast and she knows it.

I think she has potential to become more than just the one liner that she's become but it'll take time (and possibly a smack to the head).

She's better than Susan at any rate. There's a fangirls wet dream, the whole tortured soul paying for her (bloody stupid) mistake. Although I can see them writing her as turning Dresden into a vampire so that they can be all mysterious and melodramatic together and completely ignoring the whole hideous bat creature part because it's 'gross'.

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

It is unfortunate that I can only agree with this notion.

4. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

I actually happened to like Susan, before and after the event. Sure, she made a stupid mistake, which was just another plot point of Dresden's lack of information sharing hurting those close to him (though to a lesser degree, because it was god-awful stupid).

I thought their relationship after the fact was well done as well. Remember, she didn't leave for herself, but because she would probably have killed Harry at some point.

That, and she was throwing washer/dryer combos, and I thought she was pretty cool. This is poon that's good enough to start a war over, after all. I'm not going to make the obvious analogy, because I hate those two.

At any rate, I don't have anything against Susan, but that might be because of that smoking hot love making scene when she was tied to the ceiling in Dresden's apartment.

5. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Fuck you all, Harry/Lasciel ftw. I'll admit my Dresden-fu is weak but reading White Knight made me think Harry/Lasciel has a chance or more likely Harry/Lash since maybe Lash isn't completely evil anymore. Still Fallen but maybe no longer falling...

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Truth. Much much truth.

For Lash or Lasciel, I'm game. Though,

7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Thirded.

And what's with y'all dumbfucks giving fangirls ideas?

Jesus.

;)

8. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Agree totally Lash could do much in the department of love and kink therefore she owns all other potential love interests.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

And that doesn't apply to Ginny how? Fucking is in her blood, it's her stock in trade, it's what she does. If that quality redeems Murphy, it has to redeem Ginny too. :cool:

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Susan sucks donkey balls, point in case:

-points above.-

Susan is a gigantic whore who needs to die.

And that's just from the first book.

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    That quote makes her sound even more awesome o_O

12. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Enjoy: Cricketsong

13. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Susan is less annoying then Murphy... But only slightly. Fortunately we haven't seen Susan in quite while which makes it easier (for me at least) to remember her a bit more fondly despite her idiocy. Murphy however, manages to behave so monumentally, irredeemably stupidly in the first few books that it really became clear very quickly that she's just a dumb twat. Then, just when I was considering being just a tiny bit less irritated with her existence... Hawaii.

Plus as anlun pointed put, its like every single fucking time she makes an appearance she has to reminds Harry that she's "Sworn to defend the fine citizenry of Chicago," in an attempt to convince him that she's just as qualified as him to enter into a dangerous situation (where she's hopelessly out of her depth). Why couldn't Harry just have her face off against a few Reds every night for a week, and then see if she wants to come back and bitch?

I have to hold out hope that Harry/Murphy doesn't become the new Harry/Ginny. Dresden has never showed the level of idiocy that canon!Potter did, so lets hope. And pray.

After all, as Vash made me realise, it is and always will be Harry/Lily FTW!

14. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine Squib

I don't necessarily think Harry/Murphy would make a good romantic pair. Mostly for the fact that the first time Harry had to "bend" some laws to get something done she would go batshit. However, I don't think she's as bad of a character as some of you do. I think she realizes that for the most part that she's in way over her head in most of the supernatural stuff that goes down and it scares the hell out of her. She feels helpless, and hates it, because she truly does care about both the people of Chicago and Harry. She wants to be able to help protect them, but doesn't really have the resources to. So she uses her badge and her "duty" as a way of hiding her fear and trying to still make a difference.

That doesn't mean she's my favorite character or anything, and I too hated the thing with Kincaid in Hawaii. I thought it was even stupider in SmF that she had a perfect opportunity to gain some true power to protect people and didn't take it. I still like her a lot more than Ginny though, and if she and Harry did get together, it at least wouldn't seem like pointless kowtowing to fans.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lulz, stupid thought. If Murphy does take up the sword, do you reckon she'll file for a weapons permit for it? :p

Aekiel

16. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    So she realized she's way over her head...but continues to get in the way.

Wonderful.

17. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Nobody's perfect..... but then again I just started Grave Peril so I won't be qualified to make a decision until I read further, stupid book store didn't have Summer Knight so I could only buy book three instead of three and four:mad:

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had that problem with Dead Beat. Took ages finding a bookstore that sold one, though I'd bought one online by that point so it was a moot point.

Aekiel

19. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Edit: Damn, I knew I was forgeting something.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  20. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

While wonderful for reading a bit, especially if you can't buy the books at the time

Black on white text cannot replace the novelty of cracking open a book and sipping some hot chocolate.

Having said that, Harry and Molly Carpenter is awesome. Don't tell me it never crossed your mind at the end of book 8.

;)