1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter: An Ancient's Journey by Keiran Halcyon - Stargate - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Ring of the Ancients
    Crossover with: Stargate
    Author: Keiran Halcyon
    Rating: M
    Pairings: Nothing yet, but will probably be Harry/OC
    Chapters: 44
    Words: 430,671
    Updated: June 14, 2010
    Published: July 13, 2006

Summary: Harry Potter has long known he was different, that he could do things others couln't. He is not that suprised when he is introduced to the wizarding world. But he is suprised by being kidnapped before he even entered his new world, but instead is introduced to a new galaxy that is out there.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlwholived/
    FF: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3044047/1/

This story is an OK, if slighly unoriginal HP/Stargate crossover. The author is the same one as who wrote Sanctuary of Arda, my favourite HP/LotR crossover around.

If you want to read it then you'll have to join his yahoo group and get it from the files section, but that's not very hard to do as it's an open group. Only 2 chapters so far, but it has promise.

EDIT: If you want to read it but don't want to join his yahoo group, then PM me with your email adress and I'll send it to you.

EDIT2: I should probably add that his yahoo group is rated R/NC-17, cos he's stuck a few pics of naked women on it, including on the front page. You have been warned.

Checked by Minion, December 25, 2013
    The story is no longer hosted on ff.net. Under its old title "Ring of the Ancients" it is still in the files section of the author's yahoo-group (public group, but age restricted).
    Thx to Mordecai for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  2. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Writing style is okay, but with only two chapters and the main plot still not unveiled, it's hard to know for sure if the fic is good or not. The best thing to do is to wait for more chapters to be released before I can pass judgment.

3. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I liked it so far. But isent this roughly how Shezza's stargate crossover begun, I think it also started with harry being kidnapped by Loki...

4. LegalAlien

LegalAlien Denarii Host

This story looks quite awesome so far!
    I have to admit that I like the way the author set things up. I hope we get to read more soon.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Not my kinda story really. I only ever liked one crossover with Stargate and that was Sheeza's.

6. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Hey Syaoran, I have a copy of the stargate story by Shezza88 (the completed version) on my computer. You want it?

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I've already read it. It's archived at HPRecycleBin as well so I can read it there if I want to re-read it. Thanks anyway.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Not bad, not much done yet either but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Oh well. You can't blame a guy for offering. Unless it's explosives. In which case, you can and should blame the guy for offering, but I digress.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Has anyone else read this and willing to give opinion/rating?

11. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I read it. It's not as good as Shezza's work, but still pretty good. The fact that is only on a yahoo group is a big turn-off. I give it a 4/5.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Can it even be given a rating yet? It's two chapters. There isn't enough content to judge the story as it is.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I just finished reading and its off to a good start. I have also read Shezza's. The vote is that we give it a try though possibly later when it has more chapters and/or it moves to someplace easier to get to. (i.e. fanfiction.net)

14. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Indeed it is. It appears they decided to remake their ff.net profile after the last one was deleted.

16. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I like the third chapter, it solves the at least for me annoying problem of having Harry being extremly smart at 12 or 13. I also like the Asgard training Harry.

17. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

It got updated. It's a good chapter. I cant wait for more plot/story development.

18. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Hmm. I really like this story, mind I am horribly biased to anything stargate . . :p It seams together the two universes as well as any cross-over can.

The beginning seems a bit deus ex machina in that loki finds Harry as he is apparating and doesn't find anyone else. If I was a crazed alien scientist performing illegal experiments and I found a 'perfect' specimen I wouldn't really stop at just having one . . . I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have at least keyed the computer to look for more of the same energy signals (apparition.) Even if he doesn't keep them because they are inferior to Harry. For example beaming one or two other wizards/witches up scanning them and finding that Harry is more evolved than the others that he kidnapped, possibly due to 'The power he knows not'.

I like the way that he trained himself. The one problem that I am worried about something that hasn't come up yet is how (s)he's going to seam in the newly trained Harry with cool ascended powers into the SGC without going AU. As it will undoubtable go AU She is going to have to introduce a new enemy to balance out power cause Goa'uld aint gonna cut it. Perhaps an early introduction of the Ori?

For others looking to see whether they wanna read this or not. It is a great crossover, but it is that, a crossover in all sense of the word. Not even a mini crossover, a really big one. I don't see the main character interacting with the HP world at all in this story. So if that isn't your cup of tea, move on. If crossover don't bother you and you don't have a hatred of stargate and other scifi shows then you will most likely rate this at least a 3.5 if your being stingy. I would rate it at 4.3ish/5 losing points for the DEM and trying to offset any bias my love of the SG universe may bring to the score board.

Quick note for those who like stargate there is a great fic series about Daniel keeping his powers (relearning them) after he descends. If your interested you can find the first of the series here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2576255/14/

Further, that link is to the ship version (it's Daniel/Sam) rather well done, but I know that some people on these boards dislike anything that has any form of romance in it. To this end he has a separate links in his profile to chapters that have all the romance stuff cut out.

Having gone sufficiently offtopic I'll leave before the Mods notice me . . .

-noticed as I was writing this as I usually only use quick reply, what happened to all the smilies in the advanced editor?

19. Prophet of the Waves

Prophet of the Waves First Year

This is an o.k. story I just don't like the Idea of a Harry/Stargate cross I mean Harry is the only one to be able to beat voldimort how could he do that when he is off on a differant planet fighting allies "Wraith / Ori.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Just thought I'd let people know that, in case you haven't been following it, this story has been steadily updating and is now at a very respectable 80k words.

The plot has really picked up too, though the magical world has almost completely been left behind no. Promises to be a story as good as Shezza's Stargate crossover.