1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Daughter of Darkness by Ri-kun - M - HP/OC

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by LT2000, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

For those who didn't know yet, DoD's sequel is up and a good six chapters into the story!

While Ri-kun's grammar obviously isn't the best seen, I think it's unanimous that he(?) has a gift for making likable original characters, and the new DADA teacher seems to be set up just as well as Rayne was.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

WHAT? o_O I checked his profile regularly, and now it's already six chapters in? How the fuck did I miss it? Regardless, that's the best news I've heard in a while, thanks Galleon.

/goes off to read

3. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

A strange question: Did this guy rewrite this story (the first one) at any point?

4. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Yeah, it was rewritten to be more HBP friendly.

5. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Ah. I remember reading it once before a very long time ago and really disliking it.

6. Lord Mysterious

Lord Mysterious Squib

Hmm. I remember reading this when this thread was opened. With the new story out, I guess I will give it a go and review.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe I need to give this fic a bigger try, but i've read the first few chapters, and all I see (I read this fic ages ago, so going by memory) is a Mary Sue, and a wimpy Harry.

Does it actually get better?

8. Sesc

Eh. I found Harry to be rather pro-active, actually. He does stuff on his own, and is decently powerful, but not uber! -- wins some fights, but against many or more powerful opponents gets his ass handed.

Mary-Sue ... nah, never :p. She's hawt and drives a motorbike. That excuses just about anything.

The sequel is atm going mystery ... we have strange happenings, a letter from Rayne (though so far no real answer about the ending of the first story) and a mysterious MILF Dark Arts teacher who likes young students o_O

Indeeeeed :awesome

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Come on, in Chapter Two, the threatening vampire asks Harry for his autograph! Is that not one of the priceless moments of fanfiction?

But fuck, I hated what happened to that inquisitive and hilarious vampire. Worse than what happened to Fleur in Dagger and Rose. It's like killing Butters from South Park. The bastard. Never could work up momentum to get past that part.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. TMBGiants

TMBGiants Muggle

I want to like this story because I like the idea of it, but the little things bug me. Such as the fact that the author puts an exclamation mark after what seems every other sentence.

11. Sesc

Well, that exclamation-problem has covered exhaustively. It's absent later on, and if it bugs you that much, do what I did: c/p into Word, and search&substitute every ! for .

Then, brought over from a story search thread:

Eh, I'm not that pessimistic concerning Rayne. It's all about what Harry feels -- and IMO, if you gave him Ginny and Rayne to choose, he'd hit Rayne like you wouldn't believe. Although I agree, the author seems to be building some sort of triangle, what with the prophecy of the oracle, but the way I understood it was always that it was a one-sided thing from Ginny. The "warm fuzzy feeling" I can't remember. Probably conveniently forgot it >_>

And yeah, Draco came out of nowhere. It's cool that she demands sex for info, but I did so NOT need to read about Draco fucking her :/

Apart from that; after it started to drag a little when Harry got to Hogwarts, I have the feeling that it's picking up speed again, Time-Turner, Hallows etc. Still worth following, although everyone is waiting for Rayne to reappear :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Rayne's a dirty Mary Sue. 2/5, this story is just precipitously getting worse and worse as it ages.

Yeah, that coming from the professional vampire hunter. Plenty of lackluster action scenes though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I think that sums up how I feel about her. =)

This isn't an award-winning fic by any means, but if the writing style doesn't turn you off after a few chapters I think it's worth going through it and the sequel. Although Rayne is supposed to unbelievably attractive to Harry, she does have faults and weaknesses and Darkholme's personality was original/creepy enough that I've liked all the scenes she was in.

Ri-kun does have a habit of keeping things a little too canon for me lately though. We'll be reading a concept, that in retrospect should be completely new, but it's ruined because it's basically a name change. (i.e. The Marauder's Book or "The Four Hollows") The fact that he stripped a lot of the original plot line he had going to incorporate HBP irked me a bit, but since I was pretty hooked on the original and like the characters enough I can't really seem to care too much.

Either way, it isn't a phenomenal story, but it's captivating enough to pass the time when you're bored or looking for just a slightly different twist on things.

14. Trayus

Trayus Squib

I think that since he wanted to keep the story as canon as possible is admirable but I suppose it also shows a lack of creativity. That being said, I think the plot is original enough that keeping it HBP friendly does not completely ruin it. It's definitely worth a read but no, it would not be award worthy. Edit: To Galleon, that was a typo on my part. My bad....

My advice is to keep pushing. If you can tolerate the Mary Sue bit in the beginning of the first story, you'll find that the sequel is worth the suffering. Like I said before, you'll also have to tolerate a bit Harry/Ginny and the "warm feeling" Harry gets when he thinks about her in the sequel. But you find that while this story is mediocre, the creativity certainly shines through. While I do not think the trilogy as a whole is 4/5, I think that a 2/5 is a bit harsh. Give it a chance and read through it. I guarantee that it is a horrible read.

As for the lackluster action scenes, they are definitely not the best but I think they get better in the sequel. Just take your time and go through the first story knowing that everything will be alright in the end...or at the very least not downright nauseating.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  15. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

HBP friendly is fine to a degree, but I'd rather he outright keep the concepts he feels like keeping/incorporating in the story and nix the ones he doesn't. I'm not as into this story as I was DoD (Which I am still stubbornly a big fan of) because of it.

The outright separation between Harry and Ron/Hermione was a good idea - it was reasonable, it made sense - I liked it. The HBP idea of having Harry stalk Draco at times was as well. However, Harry finding a Marauder book with a dangerous spell that causes that rift is stupid. He can change the spell, he can change the name of the book, but it's still Snape's old potion book to me - same with the Hollows.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that then. Ri-kun has a gift for crafting well-written original characters, but lacking originality in plot dissuades me from believing what he has of the trilogy so far is worthy of an award.