1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Elves Most Fabulous by Steelbadger - M - HP/LotR

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Dark Minion, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Harry Potter and the Elves Most Fabulous
    Author: Steelbadger
    Rating: M
    Genre: Parody/Humor
    DLP-Category: Humor
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 13,452
    Updated: Mar 21, 2015
    Published: Mar 17, 2015
    Summary:
    Elfling!Harry has been done so very many times before, but I just had to weigh in. I petitioned the powers that be for a Harry to Elfling-ify and they gave me a jaded and cynical Master Auror who was rather unhappy with the entire situation. This fic documents his travels through the world of The Lord of the Rings. Probably. Starts during The Hobbit.

Link ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11120132/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Elves-Most-Fabulous
    DLP-WbA: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=28139

I know quite a few people are already following the story in WbA, but a few days ago Steelbadger put it up on ff.net. While it isn’t that long yet its first ‘arc’ seems to be complete, and thus I think it's ready for the review board.

It's humor and crack, and at that better than most. It doesn't feel even nearly as forced as his serious story "The Power He Knows Not" and draws its charm not from the merging but from the mental clash of both worlds, or rather: The mental clash of the Tolkienverse with battle-hardened Auror and now Elfling!Harry.

It's probably not going anywhere. In the a/n of ff.net’s first chapter Steelbadger noted:
    Thus I don't expect a continuous plot or a goal to be reached. In fact I hope he continues without too much planning ahead or a complex concept, as that might ruin the story.

4/5

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

It's light read, something that I would read before exams to calm me down. It has everything I would expect good humor story to have. 5/5.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This story is a lot of fun; if you're looking for a serious read, this isn't it in the slightest, and perhaps some of the situations could have been made more interesting by Harry not being so OP - but Harry being so OP is exactly what makes the story so relaxingly good fun.

5/5, if you're looking for something to make you chuckle and enjoy Harry trolling the shit out of the LOTR universe.

4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

If you just want something extremely fun and very funny to read, it’s perfect. I was waiting for the next chapter to put this here myself. I love it, 5/5.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    3/5

Some interesting ideas, but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I'd like to see it in the Library. I enjoyed reading it.

6. theronin

theronin Order Member

Someone in the WBA section described it best: "Deep fried crack wrapped in bacon."

Can't really say it better than that. 5/5

7. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Pretty funny, a great light read. Good concept. Humor is more of a "crack a grin, chuckle occasionally" type than a "laugh out loud" type, but there's nothing wrong with that.

A soft 4/5.

8. Telrath

Telrath Second Year

The rating is totally because of the
    'Tauriel sitting on the armrest of the throne'
    scene not getting included, isn't it? ;)

Anyways, 4/5. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's far from perfect.

Edit:Grammar.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A lot this. Feels a lot more natural and less forced.

Hard to compare because of differing styles, but I definitely enjoyed this way more then The Power He Knows Not.

Lighthearted, funny and doesn't take itself too serious. An enjoyable fic that I think at least deserves the library.

Toss up between a 4 and a 5. Definitely one of the better LOTR fics around, but don't know if it's that exceptional to deserve a 5, but doesn't feel that weak to only be a 4. So I'll go with a 5 for now, but as with all potential crack fics, the longer they go on the bigger the risk of that rating going down. Shit gets old.

10. Drunken dark lord

Drunken dark lord First Year

a nice decounstruction of the usual, godawful elfling!harry.

5/5

11. TmDagger

TmDagger First Year

A good story that's not taking itself to seriously and wins for it.
    5/5

edit. And yeah, very nice 'Take That!" to all the Elfling!Garbage on FF.net.

12. esran

esran Professor

This is the best Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings crossover I've ever read, and likely simply overall the best ever written. Granted that isn't saying much, but still, 5/5

13. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Are we reading the same story?

It is a parody of all others, yes, but at the same time, it dives headfirst into the same problems, and making fun of those, while being covered in the very same is up for debate.

Are these lines even funny for anyone?

Mr. L'Oreal? Really?

He calls elves "Dracos".

The humour is short impact, built upon Harry not caring, and being that one snarky guy protagonist from a hundred thousand indy!Harry stories.

There are places that brought a smile to my face, but overall it was painful to sludge through all the nonsense just to see him defeat Smaug in a fun way.

In conclusion, most jokes are cheap and silly or over the top rather than interesting, the plot is barely holding tied to the storyline of the hobbit, and the story lacks - for the lack of a better term - substance.

Take any good parody or comedy fic and you'll notice that it just isn't stupid joke after stupid joke - rather, the stories builds to them through interaction, worldbuilding, and placing interesting situations to be solved in unexpected ways. And you're at least interested in the protagonist.

A strong 2/5.

EDIT: Most of Taure's rant on the other story of this author still applies here, in my opinion. Especially this bit:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  14. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Just because you don’t find it funny, doesn’t mean it isn’t. People have different tastes.

With that in mind, this
    quote is wrong in this context. You can say that about that other story, because it is meant to be serious. This story is humor.

edit: You don't like it. That's perfectly fine. I don't argue with that. Just saying that I genuinely like this kind of humor.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  15. esran

esran Professor

I did admit I only gave it a 5/5 because I consider it the best Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings crossover written. A story with this quality that was pure Harry Potter would probably only get a 4/5 from me. I think thats fair, we often rate things up for being more original, and the fact that it is more original certainly makes it more interesting and funny.

But also this story really was funny. It was laugh at loud funny at parts. The plot is pure nonsense, but leads to humorous situations. As far as humor stories go this one is really good.

Maybe if their were more HP/LOTR crosses I could stand to read, or more laugh at loud humor stories, this would only get a 4/5 or a 3/5. But I'm giving this a 5/5.

16. Stan

Stan Order Member

Eh. It was Okay. Not really Laugh Out Loud funny like Why is it Orange? or The Wendell that Wasn't. But it was an enjoyable read, and had a certain charm to it that many humor fics lack.

3/5 from me.

17. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Enjoyable, mostly because of the deconstruction of that annoying Elfling!Harry trope, and some passages brought a smile to my face (or a laugh).

Nothing exceptional, however.

3/5.

18. Basileus777

Basileus777 Squib

The attempts at humor in this make me cringe. Genuinely funny fanfiction is incredibly hard to find, but this falls so far short that it is difficult to even read.

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

It doesn't really get genuinely funny until the last couple of chapters/updates (Been reading it in WbA, so I'm not sure how it's structured on FFN), when Harry starts travelling to kill Smaug. Even I, as someone who's not particularly knowledgeable of LoTR beyond watching the movies and the first Hobbit, found it to be fairly funny.

A 3.5/5 rounded up to a 4.

20. Poly

Poly First Year

E-e-e-e-excellent. 5/5