1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Eternal Right - MattD12027 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by rogueboy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Eternal Right
    Author: MattD12027
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Drama (it's better than that, I promise!)
    DLP Category: Personally, I'd say AU with a hint of Romance
    Pairing: Oh shi- H/G initially, H/Hr ultimately
    Summary: PostHogwarts. Harry must deal with the horrors of war, and in doing so he will embrace his heritage and leave a lasting legacy on the world. Character Death, Eventual HHr.
    Link: FFN

It's an old story, and I checked the Recycling bin as well as the Library and Syao's "Deleted Fics" post and apparently it hasn't been posted yet. If it has, my apologies.

Alright. I know there are a few warning signs in the description that would/could(/should?) warrant an immediate flame post, but I'd implore people to actually give this a shot.

This is the author's first story, and the first two or three chapters show it. There's a nice Snape (he disappears quickly), a huge deus ex machina that I utterly hated, and a rather... contrived fight scene. Those first few chapters will be the biggest barrier to enjoying what actually is a good story once the author finds his groove.

I feel the Harry/Ginny interaction is portrayed in a light that makes it bearable, given most DLP members' own reasoning for their H/G hatred. I know there are some H/Hr fans hiding out there somewhere, too. This story also features a somewhat!super!Harry, but despite his title, he is not actually the "most powerful wizard in the world."

I feel the response will be divided into two types: 1) those who couldn't stomach the first three chapters and who will proceed to state as such, and 2) those who will make it past those 3 chapters and will see what I mean.

We'll see. I've been wrong before. :rrou:

On a side note, are posters supposed to rate their own rec's?

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rating your own recs isn't really frowned against. Though some people hate it I think.

Personally, I wait for a few responses before I rate anything I rec. Make sure that others have the same kind of feel I have about the fic, before I end up looking potentially retarded before the masses. :p

Will edit in with my thoughts on the fic.

3. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I'm generally a fan of H/Hr, but that first chapter was pretty rough. 'Contrived' is a very kind way of describing it, and its conclusion seemed to remove all future conflict from the story.

I'm not sure if I want to continue reading this, as it's very long. Can you describe the basic idea behind the plot without spoiling too much?

4. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

Yeah, it's rough.

The first half of the book revolves around the interactions between all of the major characters in light of what's happened (Harry's new powers, reappearances of old friends, Death Eater's brutalities during the war, as well as Harry's own darker path during the same war). There's one OC in particular that is majorly affected by this, and she is sort of an impetus for creating much of the conflict early in the story. The chapters span a few years (3-5 or something) and during that time Dumbledore works with Harry and teaches him how to harness his abilities.

The second half is where the true conflict of the story is revealed. Everyone has pretty much settled into their new lives, and all I can say without spoiling more than I already have is that strange things start happening.

This fic definitely focuses on character interactions for a good chunk of the story (I'd estimate about 70%). I don't think everyone's going to like it because there is one HUGE NO-NO plot device in there, but I treat it the same way I treat H/G romance: If handled correctly, it's not a big deal.

5. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

There's a soul bond isn't there?

I'm going to give it a try, but if I'm right then I don't think I'm going to read it.

6. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

Rest assured, there are no soul bonds.

7. Shake

Shake Squib

As rough as it was, I kept reading until heirs of the founders, Merlin, Lucifer, and wands turning into swords came into play. Ugh.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I actually managed to get the whole way through this.

And if you somehow manage to look past the endless list cliches and impossibilities

Harry is Godric's Heir, and of course the girl he adopts is Ravenclaw's.
    Of course Helen's first spell is a perfect patronus.
    Their wands turn into Swords.
    Ascended state/Power of love.
    Lucifer was a founder and Voldemort's ancestor, as was Merlin (Who just happens to be Dumbledore's ancestor)
    Helen becomes a professor at the same age as her father.

The list just keeps going

The first half of this story is pretty shitty, I'm not going to lie. The first half is where most of those spoilers come in. The second half on the other hand is about an older (28) Harry as DADA professor who is still troubled by not only personal loss, but also the memory of the seriously fucked up things he saw during the war. Having read what he'd seen at the orphanage I can honestly say that I don't know how I would have reacted in his place.

The actual storyline behind it is alright, the idea of Harry adopting a girl (and the reasons behind it) and actually taking care of her properly is done rather well. For those of you who are reluctant to read it because of the H/G tag, well frankly that's not the worst thing in this story, their relationship is both brief and handled well.

Plus

She dies

The relationships are rather rushed and the characterization is definitely off at times, and in Dumbledore's case, Entirely OOC. Harry's "Darker Past" as they put it, is by far the most interesting thing to read, some seriously violent and brutal fights involved there.

While writing this I kept listing all of these shitty things that made me sit back and say,

"What the fuck? How did I read this?"

Shit, chalk it up to me getting older and thinking about having kids someday, but somehow I almost enjoyed this.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  9. Vander

Vander First Year

No I'm pretty sure the cliche involves Harry adopting children while he is still a teenager. It's a horrible idea and has failed in every single story I've ever seen that used it. No sane child adoption agency or adult would ever allow someone as fucked up or as young as Harry to ever adopt a child. It's a completely ridiculous plot device and ruins immersion. The story was going at a solid 4 for me before the author decided upon the adoption, but that one event alone dropped it to a 2.5. Every scene where the girl calls him "Daddy" is fucking cringe worthy.

Seriously what it is with authors and having Harry adopt a kid at age 17 or younger? Don't they realize that it's possible for him to bond with a child while not acting as a parental figure? They could easily have the child be adopted by a nice family that in turn still allows Harry to come visit as much as he wants.