1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories by Pokemaster12

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Nerdman3000, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories
    Author: Pokemaster12
    Rating: M
    Category: Drama/Adventure
    Chapters: 30
    Words: 273,911
    Updated: April 12, 2013
    Published: November 03, 2012
    Summary: Eidetic Memory, the ability to remember everything you have ever done, seen, smelled, tasted, and touched. To some it is a gift, to others a curse. For Harry Potter, it's both. Year One. Harry/multi in later sequels.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8670912/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Gift-of-Memories

So far it has one sequel:

Title: Harry Potter and the Heir of Slytherin
    Rating: M
    Category: Adventure
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 26,488
    Updated: April 19, 2013
    Published: April 12, 2013
    Summary: One year up and another is soon to begin. During this year Harry Potter studies under Nicolas Flamel, is forced to deal with a Vampire Princess, and learns that there is yet another danger lurking within the walls of Hogwarts, one that has been around since the time of the Founders. What's a poor student with perfect memory to do? Year Two. Sequel to Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9196576/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Heir-of-Slytherin

I think this is a decent enough story. It's a rewrite of a another story that was a Almost Recommended, but from what I can see this rewrite fixes all of the problems I had with the original, instead of making Harry some type of Super Wizard. The author plans to do a book for all seven of Harry's years. The premise is Harry has Eidetic Memory. I'd give it a read.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

No, just no this is a rather cliché harem story, it´s a guilty pleasure at most and in my eyes it is not library worthy.

No rating from me.

3. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

This is worse than a guilty pleasure, at most it's painfully funny, when I got to the part where Harry heals from over 100 bone fractures in a single night... I laughed so hard that I fell out of my chair.

It has all the tropes of a bad fic smashed into one and playing it straight. I've read a few updates that had Naruto in place of Harry when they first came out (later corrected).

0/5

4. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

You serious about this?

5. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

That's true, there are a lot of cliches, which takes some of the fun out of it. I thought it was kind of funny to read though. Captain Trips is right when he says its a guilty pleasure to read. Still, compared to the original, Harry Potter: Rise to Power, this is much better. If you'd thought this one was bad, you'd find Rise to Power to be much worse.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Yeah, Ask Jorm. Me and him joked about it when it happened.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you cry rivers of tears while falling out of your chair, thereby flooding your room? Or did you simply face vault?

I just hope you didn't create such a racket that your Tsundere bff stormed into your room and haymaker'd you to the moon.

Horrible story though, exaggerations aside. I remember stopping after maybe 2 chapters a while back. 0/5

8. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Terribly slow placed, Harry is a robot gary stu sent to destroy the wizarding world, all the girls are basically the same - not terribly interesting. I only read and followed because theres very little else to read with a consistent update rate. 2/5 just because I can tolerate it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It would be a fairly pleasant 3/5 read, if not for the author's casual disregard for orthography. Threw, through; your, you're; their, there - they all, among others, seem to be treated as interchangeable. Apostrophes are added (or not) seemingly randomly and sometimes it's even a monster like "Harry's families (vault)" appears.

Overall, a readable-ish story, but not original at all and quite annoying to read with sentences like
    I guess I should be happy there were no could ofs and should ofs.

2.5/5

10. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

I gotta agree with KrZaQ. It's readable and has some entertaining points, but it's just not high quality or overly original.

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

What KrzaQ said.

It should be added that this author can't finish anything he starts. One of the more frustrating aspects of his writing is that he tends to focus on characters/scenes that are utterly worthless, and drags down the plot when he loses interest. I predict that halfway through Year 2 he'll lose steam at the latest, and then half a year later write a chapter focusing on Draco's POV.

Rounded down to 2/5.

A little harsher than necessary, but I feel let down from some of his other stories.

12. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

Naruto: Shifts in Life?

13. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of Namikaze's Return: Redux.

He doesn't update for over half a year, and then recently released a chapter focusing solely on Kumo realizing they are being invaded. For a story that is updating at most 3 times a year, who gives a fuck what the reactions of a bunch of second and third-tier characters are?

14. melior

melior Seventh Year

I'm about halfway through, and it seems the rate at which Harry launches into epic sermons in response to simple questions is growing by the chapter. It's kind of bizarre that he harps on Hermione for doing something rather similar, but somehow Harry doing it means everyone around him becomes thoughtful and nods along. Also, I know Harry is supposed to be extremely brilliant, but it comes off as forced and not particularly believable. Maybe that has to do with the abundance of homophone and near-homophone mix-ups KrzaQ mentioned ("full-proof plan"), but it reads as if the author went back over the text several times with a fine-toothed thesaurus.

Nor does it help that he repeats himself a lot.
    It's not always this blatant, but to me it's even worse during the long monologues.

Lastly, Harry's ability to convince adults and older students to see things his way had better turn out to be magic-based. I mean, obviously this story has no shortage of moments that'll stretch anyone's suspension of disbelief, but McGonagall letting an eleven-year-old (and not just any eleven-year-old, mind you) into Diagon Alley by himself? She'd only met him two hours beforehand, and he almost had a nervous breakdown with the people mobbing him. And, sorry, but Harry Potter or no, a cocky little kid telling Wood to "let me worry about [a broom]" and that he has a "full proof plan" for smuggling one in would only get him laughed off the Quidditch pitch.

15. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I want to like it. It's 270K+ with a (presumably) smart!Harry. The description isn't terrible, and I'm not sure of the plot yet, but the writing is awful. Like KrzaQ said, the orthography is painful and the writing is just generally awkward. It's not utter trash, so I'd give it a 2/5.

16. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I was at a 2/5 until this.
    As Chinese and a martial artist, I must take offence; dojo is fucking Japanese.
    I'm not going to rate it, because I would not be able to give it more than a zero, and we don't have that option.

17. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Oh wow, I'd totally forgotten this story had a random old asian martial arts master in it. -1 more point.

18. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

-1000 points. Random martial arts in HP is one of my pet peeves. The writing is stilted, dialog is painful to read and the world seems to be generally static. 2/5

19. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

That is not what droll means. That is the opposite of what droll means.

Also, for someone with an eidetic memory, Harry sure references lists a lot.

2/5