1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Halfblood Auror by Chelseyb1010 - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Republic, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I like this story a lot, just as I enjoyed Rebel and the Chosen. Neither are amazingly good, but both are good nonetheless. The characterizations in chelsey's stories always feel genuine, and Harry never seems to come across as overpowered.

Overall, this story is just an enjoyably normal read. It hasn't deviated a huge amount from canon yet, but that's okay. I always look forward to updates because they're always good. Again, not awesome, but good. The romance always also feels pretty good, too, far above typical fanfiction foolishness.

I'd give this a solid 4/5. I also hope you do take advantage of the WbA, chelsey, because I've seen it take authors who were 'good' and turn them into authors who are amazing.

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Eh...got bored with it after 10 chapters. I'd give it a 3/5.

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's on my alert list and I remember reading it straight through one day, but I couldn't tell you the majority of the plot. It's one of those stories that's definitely good enough to read through, but it didn't spark anything special that allowed me to retain what happened. I think it's sitting at an easy 3/5 just for the prose and Harry's realistic characterization, but I'd bump it up to a 4/5 if the author finished it.

There are definitely not enough finished works, in or out of our library. That always deserves a point for effort.

4. Dwitty

Dwitty Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Well, I thoroughly enjoy it. Much more so this incarnation of the story than the last. I was worried this one would be a canon rehash with Tonks as a replacement character, as the first one had been, but I've been quite pleased with how it is going so far.

I'm not completely sure about the course of the story, which is a good thing, and I've been enjoying the recent update rate.

3.5-4/5 so far.

5. melior

melior Seventh Year

Stretching for some criticism here since there isn't much in the way of specifics in these responses.

The author relies on a lot of ...

(an hour later) Moment Killer-like situations (don't click) ...

to create dramatic tension, including the common subtrope Almost Kisses. That's fine for the most part, and I probably wouldn't have even wasted an hour on there trying to find a trope name for what I meant except for one particular Moment Killer-like act: when Harry announces his presence and Malfoy hurriedly covers his forearm.

Even though we already know what's going on from canon, this comes off as way, way too obvious, so this attempt to create dramatic tension just...misses. I would say it's frustrating, but that's what those types of moments are meant to do, and this particular one doesn't do it in a good way. To make matters worse, it only happens because Harry did something incredibly stupid (although I suppose I could forgive a sixteen-year-old that), and then McGonagall compounds that by being either willfully ignorant by demanding more solid proof or purposefully endangering hundreds of children by allowing a known Death Eater on a mission for Voldemort operate freely in the school. There a number of ways I could imagine she might expose Malfoy, but the core of the issue is really that the author allowed Harry to see and overhear too much. At least Hermione softens the blow a bit by coming around.

Also, I can't help but think Tonks would be rather turned off by Harry trying to push her into telling him everything about what she's doing, and then acting jealous on a number of occasions before they'd even kissed. That's definitely realistic behavior on Harry's part, but Tonks is surprisingly forgiving of it even though she comments on how jealousy doesn't look good on him. She does gets annoyed once, but most times she just indulges him. I guess it's necessary for their relationship to work since he's so immature, but his possessive behavior made me cringe a few times.

Well, that's the best I got. Despite the above I'm still quite enjoying this story, though I'm sure I'll be disappointed to reach the in-progress point.

6. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

The story isn't without its flaws, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, one of the better Harry/Tonks romances out there. Definitely feels like the author has improved since Rebel and the Chosen.

7. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last chapter of this honestly pissed me the fuck off. Harry went total Douchemode.

"Herp derp, you just lost someone incredibly important to your life, your family was just attacked (because of my presence in your life), and you must feel super fucking horrible, this is probably one of the lowest points of your life, ever, let me be a raging cunt about jealousy over whether or not you two fucked at one point in the past."

I honestly hopes she dumps his ass and lets him regret it for the rest of the fic.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Well it updated again...
    And hey, you got your wish! She dumped him! Though probably not the way you wanted it to happen.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Somehow Tonks came out as the asshole in this situation.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

Also, terrible trope is terrible.

10. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    .....=,=

Seriously? Seriously? Well, this was my first foray into H/Tonks that I actually liked, guess this proves the genre just isn't for me.

Adjusting my score to 3/5, last two chapters have been Shit.

11. Rache

Rache Headmaster

A relationship when the age gap is like 7 years is not possible when one of the participant in question is still a 16 year old teenager.

The relationship was carefully developed. I give that to the author. However, the last two chapters were crap. There is a difference in the level of maturity and the way of thinking between Harry and Tonks.

Unless the author kills off Tonks and have Harry live in her memory before he jumps back onto the horse, I'd rate this a 2.5/5.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I've lost pretty much all interest in this now.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I didn't like it either, but you're blowing this way out of proportion. It was a cheap trick, but not OOC or unrealistic. I'm sure the author has his reasons.

So you're saying the entire Harry/Tonks genre is obsolete unless its set many years after the books?

14. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Pretty much, yeah. There's a million 5th/6th year H/T stories and I don't think I've ever read one where the relationship was actually very plausible. Most of them fall into the usual trap of being written by teenagers who greatly overestimate their own maturity.

15. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Spot on. There is a difference in how a 16 year old thinks and how a 24 year old thinks. When all 16 year old males think of is sex, 24 year old female singles are likely to look for a relationship which might one day turn to love.

Harry, while more mature than his peers for his age, is still a hormonal 16 year old and he wouldn't have the emotional depth or maturity to handle a relationship with an older woman.

No, I am pretty sure no 24 year old woman would be willing to enter a relationship with a 16 year old male virgin in RL.

As for the Harry/Tonks genre, I believed magic existed and weak pathetic canon Harry Potter as pretty awesome. I can live with the pairing provided the entire story is very well written, kinda like Renegade Cause and it's the only Harry/Tonks story I like and the liking has nothing to do with the pairing.

16. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I do actually know a RL couple like that (well, the guy was 17, but close enough). The key detail is that it was initially a rebound after a messy breakup for the girl, and the relationship was thoroughly unhealthy for the first few years. They stayed together for all the wrong reasons (the girl had no idea how to end a relationship; the guy thought that ending a relationship with a hot mature woman would obviously be a mistake regardless of how miserable the relationship made him). It wasn't until the guy graduated from college and they both had full-time jobs that it started to resemble a healthy relationship.

I don't think Harry/Tonks is such a terrible pairing that it automatically ruins the story or anything, and I can certainly see the appeal. I just don't think it works very well as it's usually written.

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

There.....

18. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    For fucks sake, this is not real life, this is a fanfic story where magic exists.

Now a witch(a 20 something year old girl, and no, they are actually not that mature at that age) is stuck in a castle for a year, with little to no entertainment, surely it can't be that hard to imagine that she could develop an interest of a sort to somebody who is probably the most famous person in the world they live in.

The Harry/Tonks pairing has been discussed and argued against or in favor a million times now, so just quit it, it won't end up with anyone convincing the other whether it works or not.

The bottom line is - I still like the story. It is written well and it had a hook in it. There is a reason why it is in the Romance section, and because of that I had little problems going through the last 2 chapters.
    The author seems to be aware of the angst and she promised herself that this was the end of it.

As long as the story moves on with the plot, I will still rate it as a solid 4/5.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  19. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Don't twist your panties mate. This the only reason why I am still reading the story.

---------- Post automerged 09-03-2013 at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-03-2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

Updated!!

Here

20. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How the hell did this get into the library?