1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by TIJK - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ChaosSora, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

Yep, very original title there.

Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Author: TIJK
    Rating: [T]
    Genre: Humor/Romance
    DLP Category: Could go in Humor, I would say just General
    Pairing: Harry/Tonks
    Words: 40,808
    Published: In or before 2007

Summary: Harry is expelled from Hogwarts during the summer before his fifth year. So Sirius decides to teach him instead. Long story short, it is Harry becoming a lot like Sirius.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3788259/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Order_of_the_Phoenix
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5723954/1/Order-of-the-Phoenix-by-TIJK

Well I don't read Harry Potter stories much anymore, but this one caught my eye for some reason and I decided to read it. Now this story isn't the greatest one out there, but it is at least a amusing read. I think the reason I actually enjoyed this story as much as I did si due to the fact all of the characters actually seem to be in character.

The strange thing about this story is it actually reminds me how how books three and four were in terms of writing style. The only difference is that they author isn't as detailed in their imagery as JK is. I'm sure to everyone else here this story is just going to seem decent, but I figured it probably should at least be put up for review as I feel it is at least Trash Bin worthy. Plus it was only started back in mid September and I can already see some improvement in the writing, so I'm hoping the writing will get better as time goes on.

Any way I would normally give the story a 3.5/5, but since I strangely like it so much I'll give it a 4/5.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013
    The story was deleted on ff.net, but reposted by another person, who acknowledges TIJK as author.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. X-Man

X-Man Second Year

Theres just too much prongslet in it for me. Along with Tonk's constant use of 'Hero' as Harry's nickname just annoys me to no end. Don't forget Uncle Moony.

So far Harry is just stuck at Number 12, relearning all the magic from 1st-4th year. It be different if Harry was out more doing stuff, but were just stuck with cutesy dialogue between Harry,Tonks,Sirius,and Remus. Very Boring. 2/5.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I actually like this story. It's definitely not the best story I've ever read, but it's still a decent way to pass the time. Plus, it's Honks, so, I'd give it a 3/5. Perfect Trash Bin material.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't believe no one ever thought of this canon divergence point before. Harry gets expelled, tutored from home. Genius. I'll have to read it sometime.

5. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Just finished the first chapter. Nice starting point, but the whole thing's kind of clunky, especially the speech. I'd have to agree with the others and recommend the trash bin, because it's got a sound enough start that it has the chance to get better.

6. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

While 'Pronglet' and 'Hero' are definite annoyances I like this fic. Its different.

3.5/5

7. Hibiki

Hibiki First Year

While it is an interesting story idea with no spelling or grammatical errors (as far as I can tell) the delivery of it was not as good as I found myself not really interested in it.

3/5

8. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

+ Good grammar/spelling

+ Harry/Tonks

++ My enjoyment

4/5

9. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Frankly I really liked this story. I found it really different of all the pathetic bonding story between Sirius and Harry since the characterisation of Sirius is really, really top notch. It remind me a little of A Black Comedy dynamic.

10. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Bleh at least black com had a reason for the nicknames etc..this fic is great if they will just kill the frick 'n nicknames, they are making me annoyed every time i see them.

11. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Reading the word "Hero" every 5 seconds you mean? It just sounds so horribly condescending..
    In fact its sometimes used as an insult where I am.. "Don't be such a f***ing Hero!" or "You're such a f***ing Hero aren't you?"

But you know apart from that, it's shipping Harry/Tonks, its decently written, It doesn't have a super powered awesome Harry... I'd have give it a 3.5/5

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  12. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I like the banter between Sirius, Harry, and occaisionally Remus and Tonks. As for the nicknames? Meh. They don't bother me that much.

4/5

13. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix DA Member DLP Supporter

I tend to try and rate stories based on their quality from a non-bias viewpoint, things like nicknames are opinion-based, I try to rate based on grammar/spelling/plot/the overall flow, stuff like that, one exception is for Humor fics, which are liked or disliked based on your opinion on their humor.
    I give this a 3.5/5, rounded to a 4.

14. ValdTheSpanker

ValdTheSpanker Squib

It is nice to see Sirius' character fleshed out in this fic. So often it seems as if he gets delegated to the brief comic relief with idiotic "I'm Serious... get it? HAHA." Please, I've heard better humor from my five year old cousin. The banter is good and it's nice to see some depth to Tonks in this story. As seen in others posts, it is rather annoying to have Tonks calling Harry "Hero" at every turn. But, eh, most Harry/Tonks stories suck balls these days. It's a give and take type of thing for me.

Overall, a nice read, but I'm not all that attached to this one.
    3/5

15. MountainMan

MountainMan Muggle

Good grammar and mechanics +1. Original Story +1. Decent Humor +1. Romance is a little bit, well I'm not sure what to call it but I give it +.5. So 4/5. The extra half just because I like the story thus far.

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Its not bad at all. The characterization of Sirius is pretty good and its nice to see a Honks fic that isnt OMIGAD your a Metamorphagus TOO? OMIGAD LETS DO IT. Tonks has a character and the relationship is actually existant. They are friends and slowly over a few months become good friends.
    4/5

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I thought it was pretty good. Annoying in parts, but it's a story. The bold bit is what most fanfiction seems to be lacking in. 4/5

18. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It is a good story but the letters he receives drove me from the story. Having multiple characters write in the same letter, like paper is a precious commodity, is a pet peeve of mine, especially when you have characters who actually write down an argument in the letter, tends to be Ron/Hermione, James/Lily and an occasional Ron/Ginny.

3-3.5/5, would be a four without the letters.

19. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

It may not necessarily be that the paper itself is a precious commodity, but that space is. It would be much easier for one letter to be sent via either postal owl or carried by McGonnagal than several. Although, I do agree that an argument written on the letter is a bit stupid.

20. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This author, TIJK, had a good fanfic idea and a correct mindframe on how to approach it, but what they lacked was the skills to actually see it through. It's a shame really, to see so many good scene setups ruined by weak dialogues, unimaginative plots and overall cliched, uninspired writing.

If the author just spent a bit more effort inventing their own pranks, nicknames and inline jokes (instead of squeezing everything out of HP glossary) and maybe pushed his plots out of the mundane category, we could have had one pretty spectacular fic.

Like this... 3.5/5 for the idea.