1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and The Phoenix Wrath by Mister Bigbucks - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by IBG, Nov 11, 2007.

1. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter and The Phoenix Wrath
    Author: Mister Bigbucks
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Drama/Angst
    DLP Category: Not 100% sure but I think Independent
    Pairing: A little Harry Ginny at the start, but they break up when Harry realizes she isnt right for him. I'm guessing HarryOC since theres a relationship forming between him and an OC
    Status: In progress, and slow updating though near completion, there will be a sequel
    Summary: Harry pushes away his friends. Something happens to him that changes him. The Phoenix Wrath is something that rivals the Dark Mark. Something that even Voldemort himself fears...but what is it? Slightly dark but not evil Harry.

Summary isnt great, and the story opening isnt the best too, but it really picks up. I find it comparable to A Stranger in an Unholy Land in terms of quality, the Harry resembles that from The Darkness within

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2737168/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Phoenix_Wrath

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Romance/Drama/Angst? Gee. Sounds like it's right up our alley.

And I swear that 'dark but not evil' is reaching the point of 'I suck at summaries' on the Things That I Don't Like Seeing In Summaries.

From the author profile:

Face. Fucking. Palm.

Someone want to subject themselves to actually reading this?

3. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

meh it was one of the first fics i read and i reckon its alright.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I struggled few the first four chapters. It has, in no particular order, a whiny, bitchy angsty Harry who's suddenly gained more powers than Voldemort in a few months after Dumbledore's death and is a talking lion animagus. He's has lots of bitch fests with his friends, shows off his awesome duelling pwning skills in DADA, cries about his parents, blah, blah, blah

Not worth it

2/5 for me

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Talking lion?

Aslan?

6. Methene

Methene Auror

Read it a while ago. Back then I considered it a good read, but now not so much. I guess I've evolved.

2/5

7. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

At least Aslan wasn't bitchin all year long...
    Let's see... long and intense description of Harry's training, original new looks and stupid characters.
    2/5
    Fail!

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There isnt really any comparison between this story and either Unholy Land, which I loathe, or Darkness Within.

I dont remember the last time I read Darkness, but I think Harry was a lot better off in that. Didnt cry and whine and bitch nearly as much as in this one.

And while I hate the story, Unholy Land is far better in quality than this. It was just dry as fucking hell in the beginning.

2/5 for the effort to write it, but it needs a lot of rewriting to be acceptable. Namely, Harry needs to stop being a bitch.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

2.5/5

It's copypasta. The author had a small idea, and instead of building a plot around it he just described training. No one gives a shit about training. EVERY author has the same exact training scenes. That's why fics that skip the training part entirely via either a time skip or some other device are so successful.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What's the point of Harry being a lion animagus with the ability to talk if he only uses it to bitch about his life? Good grief, you'd think that it's literally impossible for Harry to be an emo when he's in his human form and Animagus form.

11. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

When I thought that post-HBP fanfictions couldn't get worse... I found this one.

12. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah I've tried reading this twice in the past.... it got dropped both times....

13. Eladi

Eladi Squib

[​IMG]

2.0/5.0

14. Deadman

Deadman First Year

This is my favorite line so far:

"He had nearly fifteen house elves to take care of the house."

The first thing that popped into my head was poor little Stumpy the house elf having an accident with a lawnmower charm. That'd explain nearly 15 house elves wouldn't it?

It's actually little things like this that ruin this story for me. They make my little brain go "huh?" far too often.

Like this:

"A suggestion: Since you are now one of the richest wizards alive, it would be wise to invest in some wizard stock"

Like you just go down the the Wizard-Mart and pick up bread, milk, eggs, and some stocks and bonds.

I would give 2/5, (maybe even 2½ or 3 because I like really bad stories), but I hate irrational angst. Rational, well placed anger is great. Emo Harry, not-so-much.

1/5 : delete it.

15. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

A new type of story: Aslan!Harry.

2/5

Haha, 5/5 for that comment. :D

16. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I was fairly sick of seeing it the first time I read it. I don't know . . . I'm of the "Stupid is as stupid does" school of thougt. It's not dark magic becuase it causes fluffy bunnies to come hopping out of top hats. It just seems to me that "dark but not evil" is a contradiction in terms. At this point, when I see those words, I pretty much know not to click the link.

The same thing goes for when I come across the drawn out justifications of the unforgiveables, especially when they totally ignore canon, and a quick check at the Lexicon reveals that the words Avada Kedavra are derrived from a phrase that literally means "Let the thing be destroyed!" When I see those, I click the little X at the top of the screen.

17. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This one... It was good for me at first, when I was in my H/G stages (In case you couldn't tell, that was my early fanfic days). I had actually forgotten it existed until my alerts told me it updated for the first time in months.

When I look back, I honestly can't see what I saw in it.

Pile of Crap worth a 1.5/5

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I hereby admit that I actually read this. Possibly even all that was written at the time that it was being written. But nothing happened.

It's like a drug addict suddenly losing control and blowing all finances on booze, and then quietly staring at the wall wondering how they got there.

The same thing applies here. Harry was a normal teenager, and then he's stalking the corridors of Hogwarts at night, angsting like no one has ever seen, and then quietly staring at that wall.