1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Slayer Dimension by Apocalypse Thou - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by phoenix_rage, Oct 22, 2009.

1. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Slayer Dimension
    Author: Apocalypse Thou
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: Harry P/Buffy S
    Summary: Thrown into a parallel dimension during the final battle with Voldemort Harry finds himself stranded in a world where Demons exist and the world is protected by a young girl; The Slayer. Will he be able to return home? Will he want to? Crossover - Buffy: The Vampire Slayer & Harry Potter

Link: ff.net

I became interested in Buffy crossovers after reading 'It's All Relative on the Hellmouth' and 'The Dawn of the Dead'. I had given up hope on finding another decent fic in this genre but I was pleasantly surprised by this fic. It's coming along nicely so far.

I give it a 4/5.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I thought this was a crossover with the anime Slayers when I saw the title...

ffffuuuuuuuuuu

4. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I've been reading this story too. I really like it as well. It gets a 4/5 from me.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Another HP/BtVS cross, awesome. I'll definitely give this a shot soon.

6. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I tried reading the first chapter, quit, almost posted a negative review, then tried again, read all five chapters, and found that I immensely enjoyed the story. I hope the author updates soon.

4/5

7. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Yeah, I think I'll have a read of this too... later.

8. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

I did the same thing.

I was sorely disappointed....

I'm not that big of a BtVS fan but I'll give it a shot if it continues to get good reviews from others.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't mind Apocalypse Thou's two stories, there not that bad. Great ideas, the only thing holding them back in my opinion is there isn't enough action. Hopefully that will change.

For this one, 4/5.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's not bad, among the more readable crossovers of this type, but it's a bit of a Potterverse wank (Harry trumps pretty much everyone). It may be unavoidable in mixes of this type, since any Harry Potter wizard would pwn the Buffy denizens, but it seemed over the top in places--so far, nothing has presented itself, aside from Harry's inability to return to his own world, that he can't deal with on his own. Also, while I'm not a scholar of the series, the Buffy characters came off as a little flat to me.

A minor thing I found distracting was all the references to UCLA and Buffy's attending there. It seems as if all the scenes at the fictitious University of California Sunnydale having been filmed at UCLA (the most filmed campus in existence) must have made a subliminal plant in the author's head.

It's not bad, a fun read, written decently, and the way the Hallows are mixed in is fresh, but the story as a story isn't great. I'll give it a 3/5 for now, but could see my opinion of it rise to 4/5 if a more compelling challenge is presented than "Get Harry Home."

11. The Paper Blade

The Paper Blade First Year

First line:

I'm gonna have to pass.

12. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

I agree. The story would have been better if Harry had more of a challenge. For all his magic Harry shouldn't be able to match the speed, reflexes and strength of a Vampire (or Buffy). It wouldn't be too far fetched to make Vampires somewhat resistant to magic. Instead we have a Super Harry who squashes vampires like insects.

The story is good so far but I hope Apocalypse Thou introduces some challenge for Harry before the story gets dull. In his other story (the Ascension of Ra) Harry is yet to face a significant challenge even after 27 chapters, though it is still a good fic.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  13. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Chapter1: I'm getting a sense of 'Buffy' fangirl-ism, but all in all good so far. A little to hung up on describing why buffy finds harry so 'dreamy', but again, kept short enough to be acceptable.

Slightly less acceptable fangirl-ism and crappy 'oops, I did NOT just think that moments'

The discussion with Giles seems to have put her head back on straight (Thank god)

Chapter2: Hmm... funny physics trunk, but at least it's not massively overdone, of seven, there's only one room big enough to walk in, and he uses it as a portable library.

Misc. flirting between buffy and harry, various theories as to why the parallel world is so vastly different from the one he knows, abuse of mind magics to get free stuff, Introduction to willow.

I found the 'leprechaun story' annoying, but again sufficiently brief to overlook.

Overall it made a good impression actually. 5 chapters, updated about a month ago. reasonable interactions, interesting backstory, and a above average but not yet SUPER! Harry.

I have very few qualms giving this a 4

14. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I'm suspiscious of this story. I'm pretty much sold on any HP/BtVS crossover, but a few things bugged me.

-The author spends waaaayyy too much time describing how cool Harry looks, with the scar, the cigarettes, the glowing eye, the "armour", the "gorgeous eyes". And the guy's way to suave to be canon Harry, even with a few years more.
    -As Persp said, the HP universe is overpowered, and the Buffyverse characters are as dull as can be. It feels like the author is going through the motions, having each character speaking his expected line with no real emotion behind it.
    -It was also mentionned above, but there's absolutely no challenge so far, and we're already at chapter 5. Maybe it's preferable to bringing Riley and the Initiative in, but it could get old really fast.

I'm rating this 3.5 for now, because it could really go either way.

15. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

How can you give this four stars? The author tries way too much to make Harry cool and the result is a total Potterverse wank. Not only that, Harry is nothing like Canon!Harry.

When he arrives to Buffyverse and sees a girl being attacked by a bunch of vampires, he thinks it would be a good time for a smoke. If that isn't a gigantic OoC moment, then I don't know what is.

Then when it seems that the girl is about to die, he just kills the vampires. Seriously, is this guy bipolar or something? Considering that this Harry is a battle hardened veteran, I might buy him killing the vampires, but it's still a bit weird.

2/5 and that's only because it could be a lot worse.

16. blablablub

blablablub First Year

I have to agree that the one thing this story needs is more action or a challenge at least.

Non the less I like it so far and if you look at over 90% of the other BtVS/HP crossovers and take them as a reference, this is by far one of the best.

4/5

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

That's fucking stupid; don't post if you aren't even going to read the first chapter.

That being said, even I was skeptical of the story at first, but have come to enjoy it. The writing isn't quite as ground-breaking, and the author's already started at a disadvantage by attempting the BtVS/HP crossover genre, but still a better than average read. 4/5

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Very good story, I await more.

4/5.

19. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

This is off topic but your sig and avi are cruel Zombie, I keep staring at them hoping I can find a gap in the threads.

20. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

The first time I saw this, I couldn't get past half of the first chapter. Or the second time either. But I eventually got bored enough to get through it and I have to say I rather like this in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

The writing is okay, few grammatical errors but otherwise flat. Plus, Apocalypse often tells more than he (she?) shows. It certainly needs more action, but otherwise it's not a bad read and I admit to periodically checking for updates, same as his other fic, which is a Smallville cross.

The super Harry is actually refreshing for me, because in most HP/BtVs crosses, it's all about how Uber!Willow or Slayer!Buffy or ModernGuns!Axe!Whatever!Xander pwns everyone else.
    I'd give it a 3/5 objectively and a 4/5 personally.