1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Sun Source by Clell65619 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by disposablehead, Nov 15, 2011.

1. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Sun Source
    Author: Clell65619
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Pairings: Harry/Millicent (OTP!)
    Summary: This is an extremely AU crossover fic that asks the question what might have happened if Petunia Dursley hadn't found a young Harry Potter sleeping on her doorstep on the morning of the 2nd of November 1981. After all, Dumbledore was a bit careless with the savior of the Wizarding World that fateful night. Further, what if Dumbledore hadn't managed to find Harry again until the summer of 1996 and then had to convince a very different 16 year old Harry to attend Hogwarts?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4532363/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Sun_Source

Shit summary is shit. Ignore it.

This is a crossover with the obscure pulp series The Destroyer, which follows the most lethal human beings in existence, practitioners of the martial art of Sinanju. After the defeat of Voldemort by baby Harry's forehead, Chiun of Sinanju is a bit miffed by the kill-steal, and so adopts Harry as his own.

[Insert standard Super!Harry Crossover summary here]

Clell's stuff can be a bit hit-or-miss, but he knocks this one out of the park. It's goofy, glorious stuff. The absurdity of how overpowered Harry is is juxtaposed by how absurd his expectations are. Killing a dozen death eaters without a wand and walking away with one cut... He brings shame on the House of Sinanju!

Cliched as shit, with plenty of clunky writing. Still awesome. 4/5

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I Think someone posted this in Almost Recommendable awhile ago. Was gonna post it here once it was completed. 5/5 from me.

3. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It's hard to believe this is the first mention of this fic on DLP. It must have been mentioned at least on almost recommended before.

4. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Halfway through chapter 2, I still can't see anything that would rate this fic anywhere near a 5/5. It's somewhat entertaining, but the unstoppable force that this ninja Harry is at the moment can't rate it above an average 3.

I'll continue reading, and will comment/rate once I've gotten into the later chapters again. I hope I'll be nicely surprised but I won't hold my breath for it.
    3/5 for now.

5. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Ive read this before... Most likely found the link here on DLP. Weird.
    And the story is weird aswell.
    superpower!ladiesman!harry... 3/5 at best

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Would've figured this would already be in the Library, as it's easily 4/5 in my opinion. Some very funny stuff, and while it is not anywhere near reaching 5/5 status, it is definitely a good story.

7. Tharkun

Tharkun Second Year

I was following this story some time ago, but I stopped reading it. The main premise for the crossover is that there is no balance between the respective universes. Wizards are outclassed by such a margin that Chiun of the Sinanju (who adopted Harry) could basically annihilate the whole wizarding world (including Dumbledore and Voldemort) on his own. This particular attempt at humor may have worked in a one-shot, but it gets old really quick. A few chapters into the story the repetitiveness started to bore me, and it doesn't improve. As the main premise of the story ceases to entertain the reader, only Gary Stu remains. Let this fic remain in Almost Recommendable, where it belongs.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Clell actually wrote a good story?

Blow me.

9. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I thought his oneshot, The Board, was alright.
    But this isn't that good, what with the ridiculous overpower-ness of ninja!Harry and all. 3/5 at most, for me.

10. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah...read this when it began, found it mildly amusing. The feeling remains the same after so many chapters. Clell as an author is incredibly frustrating. He has talent, he could be writing incredible fics but he is stuck in a rut writing the same old shitty story lines, same old rants and same old themes. And from what I've read of him in, ahem, various other forums, he refuses to improve or move away from those themes. This seems to be true of a lot and I mean a lot of Harmonian fanfic writers. \(o.o)/

Mildly entertaining fic, 3/5 from me.

11. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

Started well. Turned Gary Stu fast. 3/5 - almost recommended/guilty pleasure reading

12. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

I didn't know anything about the Destroyer when I started reading this, aside from the mildly amusing movie starring Fred Ward. I liked this story enough to try the series, and liked them, for what they are: farcical, humorous and slightly vulgar.

I don't have quite the negative view of Clell as some on this forum. True, he takes great ideas and doesn't deliver stories as good as they could be. Still, I like this and his technomage story. Even though Harry and his Master are uber-powered, this story remains a farce, so I think it is forgiveable. Plus, Harry,with all his sexual prowess and conquests, becoming completely infatuated with the magnificent birthing hips and shapliness of Milicent Bulstrode=pure win.

3.75 stars.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Completely average story, just like the rest of clell's fics.

14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

It's a guilty pleasure fic like several others by clell.

15. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

This seems extremely interesting because I don't know what this series crossover is. It is guilty pleasure at best because of the lack of any conflict, but does anyone know if this series is worth looking into?

16. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

17. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I'd rather read about the old master instead of Remo, in all honesty.

Story is in my favorites, and I love it. Too bad he takes too damn long to update the story.

Edit: 4/5 from me, btw.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  18. Provis

Provis Second Year

As others have mentioned, it is a guilty pleasure. 3/5

19. yhtomitrebo

yhtomitrebo Second Year

As a fan of both Harry Potter and The Destroyer series, this story fails to impress me. Everyone in the story is OOC, from both the Potterverse and The Destroyer.
    Harry Potter seems less like a mixture of Chuin and Remo and more like Harry Dresden if he was instantly given Sinanju.
    The dialogue of The Destroyer series is some of the best written in the genre (#1-100ish, anyway), and Clell's attempts at recreating it leave much to be desired, if not a total failure.
    I suspended my disbelief long enough to accept Harry being trained in Sinaju and being able to perform complex and powerful magic wandless and silently. I suspended my disbelief that Chuin would pick up a fourth student, an Englishmen even.
    Harry wearing t-shirts with 'witty' sayings, jeans, and sneakers after spending his life training under a Master of Sinanju who has 13 steamer trunks filled with kimonos? Chuin announcing one of his students, at 16, was 'adequate'? Chuin acknowledging that anything made by the Chinese was acceptable? Forgetting completely that Remo was himself a Master?
    Sorry, I can't believe ALL of that.
    2/5
    Best quote, reminded me of Bay City Blast:<quote>
    </quote>

20. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Not really. The movie, while mildly entertaining, doesn't give you any idea of how lethal a master of Sinanju really is. The books do a really good job of that.

This is the problem with writing a crossover when there is a massive disparity in power levels between the two universes. On the other hand, this story has a number of hilarious moments and dialogue.

3.5/5.