1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the World Beneath by Tellemicus Sundance - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Averis, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Harry Potter and the World Beneath
    Author: Tellemicus Sundance
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    Category: Alternative Universe
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 80,308
    Updated: October 24, 2012
    Published: November 22, 2009

Summary: Running away from the Dursleys at a young age was perhaps the biggest mistake and the greatest feat of his life. Now, he's trapped alone in the wilderness of a world long forgotten by the passage of time. And this is the story of his return.

Link

This is one of the most original and entertaining fics I've come across in quite a while. It has been posted in Almost Recommended, but not in For Review. Basically, Harry decides to run away from home at the age of six, robbing the Dursleys before leaving, and through a series of coincidences he finds Platform 9 3/4. Saying anything more gives a lot away, but trust me when I say that the story begins to open up after Harry leaves King's Cross. It's not without its cliches, and of course, it takes some suspension of belief to get over Harry travelling so far from Surrey at the age of six, but reading this story is definitely worth it.

Right now, I'd give it a 4/5 with potential to get better. The last chapter kind of gets the ball rolling as far as Fleur's role in the story goes. Check it out, guys; I promise there are more than a few things that you will never have seen in Harry Potter Fanfiction.

Checked by Minion, January 15, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Well, I did like one of his Naruto fics. The sequel sucked though.

I liked it. Though the author is kinda stupid, playing retarded, "GUESS WHAT CREATURE THIS IS!?" games and trivia shit like that. The name was a dead giveaway, and the guy thought he was being subtle. -_-

4/5

It's not quite perfect because of previously mentioned idiocy and general errors and whatnot; but it's interesting and well written, nevertheless.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. azrael

azrael Professor

It's certainly interesting, I'll give it that. But something about his writing style grated a bit, and some things made no sense or weren't properly explained yet. I'd say it gets 3/5 right now, though I think it's too soon to really judge.

4. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Nice! Only a handful of spelling errors I could notice, but this story is rawking.

You were right, it is full of things I've never seen in HP ff.

5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Harry Potter befriends a dinosaur...? Lawl.

6. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

This sorta reminds of a H/Fleur plot bunny I had with Tarzan parallels. Only it was Harry living in a Demiguise colony. (Demiguises are gorillas that can turn themselves invisible, and their hair is used to make invisibility cloaks.) Getting back to this story, its a pretty weird one, featuring Harry and his
    Dinosaur siblings. Which oddly made me think of The Land Before Time series of children's movies, I think one of the characters in those movies is even has the same name as Harry's 'sister'.
    That aside, I think its a little too early to give anything than preliminary ratings for this one. The story has only just got past the setup and timeskip phase.

Tentative 3/5 for being on the original side of things, but I wouldn't give it any more than that, the story just hasn't shown itself yet.

7. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    It did hold my attention throughout all the 5 chapters. And, as long as the story remains as interesting, I'm willing to turn a blind eye on some of the most obvious mistakes and potholes.

It's a 4/5 from me, and I'm really looking forward for more of this.

8. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Read this a couple of days ago and lol'ed hard. The sheer incredulity of a Dinotopia crossover blew my mind. The mechanics of the translation between worlds needs some clarification, besides, if the Independents had dinosaurs, why can't wizards? So far the story is interesting enough to keep reading but if the pacifist philosophy and turn-the-other-cheek tendencies of the Dinotopians bleed into this fic I shall be very disappointed, if indeed this is a Dinotopia xover as the title suggests.

So...where are my sabretooth tigers and pteradactyls?

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wasn't this the one where Harry grows up with some animals? Yeah, not my cup of tea. I like Harry smart and educated, which is about as far opposed to being brought up by some animals in the wilderness as it can get. When it first came out, I read all that was there (first three chapters) and feel no urge to continue. When Harry runs away from the Dursleys, I expect him to end up in the magical world, not in a setting that is even further removed from everything interesting.

2/5 for what I read. And no, I can't stand Tarzan either.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The writing was too flat and nothing with a flavor of exceptional originality happened to sustain my interest. In fact, the opposite seemed to be the case, with the canon departure being impelled by the abusive Dursleys. That's not going to work.

A very suspect 3/5. I suspect it'd be lower the further I read.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

It's .... meh. Nothing to hold my attention.

12. Averis

High Score:
    Dude. What can be more interesting then Harry Potter raised by Dinosaurs? You guys are seriously missing the awesome.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

That's going in my sig. Dude.

14. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I don't quite have the hard-on for dinosaurs Averis seems to be sporting, and I think that combined with the fact it's only been five chapters, makes it an odd choice to be posted here, as of now. For one thing, it's only 30000 words out of a possibly much-longer fic. There's a promise of Harry/Fleur, but again, it's way too fucking early to tell jack or for me to really review...

But what I've seen so far, it's average. It reads all well and good, with no glaring errors, but just average. No rating, but who knows? Maybe the story will turn out better somewhere down the line, and I'll come back to this thread and give it a rating, recycling bin or not.

15. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Unique, but it's not exactly easy to fit those two worlds together; it's currently hovering at around 3/5.

16. Averis

High Score:
    Boing, bitches. Gib me all of that Allosaurus ass..

><

17. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Meh, I commented on this in the almost recommended thread where I think it belongs for now.

The author focuses on describing the wrong things and I think some of the things she writes is supposed to make me laugh. Not really sure though.

Anyway, it has the potential to become something good, but it's WAY to early to tell. Wait until Harry get's into the wizarding world at least since that is where the story will really begin.

Also, dinosaurs are not THAT cool, they can't carry a fic by simply existing.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Say that to my pet raptor and not online and see what happens.

On topic: not half bad. I'm sticking with it now just to see how the author facilitates communication between a feral boy who probably hasn't spoken English in a while, with the rest of the wizarding world. OP was right though: I definitely didn't see this coming.

3/5

19. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Dungbomb: If you read the A/N at the beginning of the story you would have seen that kb0 allowed him to take the beginning from his story. He's also his beta reader, I think.