1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the World Beneath by Tellemicus Sundance - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Averis, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I do like what he's doing with Fleur and the Weasley boys' opinions of Harry.

Charlie having a love of dinosaurs seems in-character (since, well, he IS a dragon handler!), and Fleur's gaining of (although grudging) respect for Harry feels realistic, albeit it being a bit quick.

I'm also wondering if there's going to be any elements of Bill/Fleur romance, because of the few hints in the text (e.g., "Was he trying to impress her?"). If the story's category is correct, we should be seeing Harry/Fleur sometime in the future.

I've also read the story by kb0 that the few opening chapters of this fic' were based on, Harry Potter: Kidnapped. Interesting read (especially with Harry's 'muggle life') due to the perspectives cast in the storyline (e.g., Dumbles being a kidnapping asshole), although certain elements of the plotline (such as the lack of canon HP lore simply due to simplicity/lack of effort to hammer them in, somehow) did make me shake my head once or twice.

2. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

3. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I'm still wondering how the writer thinks Fleur could survive with a dinosaur's claw in her back to press her against the floor while it gets attacked. As if the writer has no concept of weight and how huge/sharp these claws are. I know it's hardly a story with a really believable concept but keeping it sane in such details would help a lot to trick my brain.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

...Ignoring that she's not even human, I'd wager she survived the same way Neville survived being dropped out of a window by his uncle as a baby - magic.

5. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Your sig makes all of your posts more amusing.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

That happened when he was like nine years old.

Still magic, though.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Chapter was full of lulz. Now the real story can begin.
    I thought that this story was definitely Library worthy. I guess that most of you disagree?

8. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

That depends IMO on how the author is going to proceed with this story. It is certainly original, but as you said, the real story is only beginning. For now maybe a 4/5, possibly going down.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm a little confused as to how Harry doesn't understand English at all. Don't remember how old he was when he ran away but if he was able to hike cross-country and survive in the Land of the Lost, I assume he was old enough to be pretty fluent. Even after almost a decade he should still be able to brush off the dust and throw back into a conversation, right?

10. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

He was in first grade when he ran away. So I could believe a seven year old would forget english over a seven year period where he talked to absolutely no one. I would think he would still remember his name and a few simple words like 'no' or 'yes.' But considering how silly the premise of the story is in the first place it doesnt bug me.

The last two updates were awesome. I really like the fight scenes in the story. Harry killing dinosaurs is just pure win.

Also, did anyone else think Fleur shot past 'asking for it' and straight to 'begging to be raped' when she used her charm on a cave man? That was the one big downside to this chapter. Since she hadnt even conveyed what she wanted from him yet. I can not see what she hoped to gain from that action.

11. addictedforlife

That depends on how you define the Veela charm. It doesn't necessarily mean that the one under the influence of it wants to jump the Veela's bones. It is quite likely that Fleur was trying to enthrall Harry to do what she wants, which is getting her the Golden Egg, as she can't communicate that with words.

Also, about the thing with the language.

Personal anecdote. I went to America two years ago to visit school there for one year. I was fourteen then. During that time, I spoke with friends back in Germany quite often. I also had a couple of German friends over there with whom I only spoke German. Still, after a couple of months, I sometimes had serious problems communicating myself clearly, and when I got back to Germany after that one year, I had to literally relearn parts of the language. Not in the studying a language kind of way, but in the listening to it, using it, speaking it without searching for words kind of way.

And that's when I was fourteen, only away for one year, and with plenty of time to use German. I can easily believe that someone who lost contact with humans at half my age back then, doesn't use the language for seven years at first doesn't understand at all what Fleur, Bill and Charlie are talking about. It should however come back after some time, which, according to the author, it will.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. Because it produces comments like

:|

Harry Potter, incapable of speaking, with dinosaurs. I mean, seriously?

13. addictedforlife

Hehe... it's better than him sometimes during the later books, no?

14. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Cough, cough

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Way I saw it, he was simply ignoring/not listening to whatever they said, and didn't make an ounce of conscious or unconscious effort to understand them. Dunno though.

16. addictedforlife

You're forgetting that Harry has never seen Veela before in his life, which means he never encountered Veela charms before. The way I understand it, the influence he feels from Fleur is reminds him of the way those dinosaurs use their powers.

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I thought that was obvious by the way it had been implied in the text?

Does Tellemicus know about DLP, addictedforlife? You are his beta, after all?

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Just caught up on the last several chapters.

Still a 3/5, but a fairly solid 3/5. I do wish Harry could recall at least some language, but eh. Have they even tried talking to him in English just to see?

19. addictedforlife

@Ichor: Didn't he get butt-raped half a year ago because he was an arrogant, pompous ass? So I'd think yes. Haven't talked to him about that, though.

@CheddarTrek: Fleur talked to him, but it seemed obvious that Harry doesn't understand what she said, so she tried her Veela charm.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

He is/was? Huh...I wasn't around by then so I wouldn't know, to be honest.