1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter as a Horcrux

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by froper98, Mar 17, 2017.

1. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    We, know from canon that Harry was accidently made a horcrux, however from the locket and diadem, the horcrux does try and defend it'self. so if that was the case, if Harry was placed in danger would the horcrux protect him, and would it be able to communicate like the diary in his mind?

This interests me as I am about to start a fanfic and want to know if that would be a possibility?

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, based on canon...no. He gets attacked quite a few times over the series, and the only defence he has other than his own magical ability or one (or more) of his friends and associates rescuing him is the protection imbued in him by Lily's sacrifice, and even that's a one time thing with Quirrell.

Furthermore, while the locket does have defences of a sort, that's a horcrux made out of an inanimate object, not a living being. The diadem doesn't defend itself as far as I recall, but I suppose you could use the diary as an example in its place - but see above re: the locket.

That said, so long as you either started the fic prior to Harry ever having been in danger, or offered an explanation at some point as to why the protection hadn't kicked in before (eg: the Dementors nearly sucking out his soul at the end of PoA caused the horcrux to 'wake up') then it's a reasonable enough idea.

3. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Harry is also no real Horcrux, what happend with him was a accident without the preparations taken to make a real Horcrux.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Two things.

One, was it ever stated that it was the Horcrux who did the defending, and not enchantments or curses on the object holding the Horcrux? I'm not quite sure, but I think the answer is no. And the latter seems more probable to me anyway. Two, Harry is not an actual Horcrux but a kinda-sorta-but-not-really one. So even if the first was a thing, it can't be extrapolated to Harry just like that.

All that is even before you do what shinysavage said and come to a pretty certain conclusion. I think the idea is thoroughly nixed, yeah.

But if ya wanna write that, just ignore (that bit of) canon.

5. seis

seis Squib

If you still plan to make a fanfic about this, please don't let Harry gain Voldemorts memories or abilities. That is one of the worst things about such fanfics. And no short battle between Harry and Horcrux either.

6. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tangentially on topic:

Does a deliberate horcrux have to be made out of something meaningful?

Obviously, Riddle went towards 'Hogwarts artifacts' later on, and the general impression I always got was that Riddle made the personal choice to choose things that were of significance to him, but that he wasn't obligated to do so.

This of course led to fanon declaring that they would have transfigured a rock and thrown it at the bottom of the ocean, or an old boot in a landfill.

But given the significance of the act, it seems much more likely that you would have to pick something personally significant, rather than just any old object.

Does canon actually offer any real insight into this?

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    vlad:

Unless there's anything else in DH, that's basically the only canon detail on what can be made into a horcrux, and it's mostly saying that Voldemort wouldn't use something random, not that you can't. And Dumbledore's point about the diary being special seems wrong to me - the diary itself was completely ordinary, it was the magic that had been put into/on it that made it special.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I remember something, let me have a look.

Right:

So, Iunno. Take from that what you want. I'd tend to say that they indeed can be anything, and the Diary even was a Muggle one, IIRC. But YMMV.

Edit: Aaaaand ninja'd.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bah - so basically it was coincidence number #24572430235 that favored Harry and allowed him to beat Voldemort. Thanks, Rowling!

That being said, it's seems like there's just enough wiggle room that one could, if going into detail on the topic, reasonably gloss over it and make the argument that the object need not be magical, but must have some significance to the maker.

I can think of a few ways to explain the diary in this fashion. Hmmm.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The way Dumbledore speaks about them, it does seem to be possible to do this:
    Of course that's open to interpretation.

EDIT: fuck, ninja'd by an hour

11. syed

syed Supermod

There was a fanon idea, that horcrux can harm horcrux, which is why tom had to be the one to AK Harry to cleanse him. I wonder if Harry wrote more in the diary, would it have fed from him, would it have drained the soul piece. I always thought that if Harry used a blood quill on the diary, it would have messed it up due to blood protections.
    What ould happen if Harry exposed himself to multiple horcrux at the same time, say the locket, and diadem and ring, they might all attack him, but I doubt they are magics that share or work together.

12. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Honestly, I like the idea of Horcruxes having to be made from something significant AND having to be kept somewhere significant as well (or deteriorate). It makes Voldemort's actions make more sense and it places a crucial limitation on the power of a Horcruxes, because otherwise they're just broken as fuck.

13. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    By my reasoning, I'd always assumed that the horcrux in Harry had three things against it. One that Voldemort's soul had already been extremely mangled at that point, and what was left wasn't as strong. Two, that it had been an accidental horcrux thus, who knows how it would have turned out. Three, it had been spending years in Harry's body exposed to all the love that he has for his friends. But I guess this all hinges on if you subscribe to the love conquers all theory.

14. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    The idea of love conquers all never really made sense, it seemed like a gimimicky way of allowing Harry to win. The main problem with Horcrux's is the lack of material, i do agree with Red on the basis of it being a significant object that had meaning to the person as it would suggests that the horcrux is closely related to the person rather than some inanimate object.

one thought, is how does turning a object into a horcrux change the properties to an already magical object like the diadem?

15. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    I recently read a story where the diadem mixed with the horcrux allowing that horcrux to gain knowledge and tricked the ghost of the Grey Lady to come after it. Thus almost defeating the heroes. I thought it had an interesting viewpoint. Also the magical item of the stone, which was in the ring that Tom made it. So maybe a part of it was infused but not all of it. You could take that as the magical item being infused or the horcrux. But that was just one scene in a lengthy fanfic. I thought it was well done but I don't know that canon really touched on that topic. (I could be wrong).

16. syed

syed Supermod

While the idea that the soul piece would grant Harry with tom knowledge, getting snake speech and being seen as tom might have been possible. Seen as tom, like a barrier to keep everyone but tom out, would let Harry in. Magics that are set set up to harm anyone but tom, would leave Harry untouched. I can't believe slytherine would not have left behind snake teachings as part of the school. Or the school would not gather such material to celebrate its history.