1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter: Geth (Harry Potter/Mass Effect) by mjimeyg - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by gokieks, Jun 15, 2016.

1. gokieks

gokieks First Year

Title: Harry Potter: Geth
    Author: mjimeyg
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 276,717
    Updated: November 19, 2014
    Published: October 27, 2014

Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: Harry/Tali'Zorah (mostly, with some minor /Kasumi/OC added towards the end) and (Male)Shepard/Ashley.
    Summary: During the final battle Harry is hit with a luck spell... but who exactly got lucky? Harry finds himself in the future fighting a new war when all he wants to do is have a nice and easy life. So he decides to have fun instead.
    Link: FanFiction.net

Came across this the other day, and found it quite the fun read. The premise is that due to the aforementioned luck spell, Harry ends up traveling forward in time to the Mass Effect time/universe, where he falls nearly to his death on Rannoch and gets rebuilt by the Geth as a Human/Geth cyborg and tasked with being their emissary to the larger galaxy. Which, of course, causes him to become part/sorta-leader of Shepard's party as they save the universe.

The standard suspension of disbelief is obviously required for a crossover story like this, but I thought the author did a very good job, with some good humor and interesting takes on how Harry handles the plot events from the ME trilogy. The weakest part of the story, IMO, is that it slavishly follows nearly the entirety of ME trilogy, which means some side-quest missions and lesser group members that really doesn't add a whole lot to the story but instead drags it down. There's also a few sections where the HP universe (magical creatures, Gringotts) is pulled into the ME universe in a way that feels kind of forced and jarring.

But I found those to be minor faults, and despite them thoroughly enjoyed it. So give it a 4.5/5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I've never played Mass Effect, so I don't know much about the universe. That said my pet peeve showed up in the first chapter (Madame Maxime's name was spelled wrong). Other than that I'd give it a 3/5 for being mildly entertaining.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've tried reading this a few times, since Tali is my favorite character from the series, but I just can never get past the first few chapters (though I seem to have that problem with pretty much every HP/ME crossover).

4. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

Yeah I agree with you there. I was surprised to see this here.

One of the few HP/ME crossovers I've found at least fairly decent if Blue Magic but it hasn't been updated in a while.

5. Ignisglace

Ignisglace Squib

High Score:
    Not a bad read enjoyed it quite a bit when I first read it. It makes for one of the more satisfying ME crossovers however it still a bit to much on the ridiculous and lacks a certain depth. It is still a very entertaining read if anything.

4/5

6. Effulgent Dawn

Effulgent Dawn First Year

High Score:
    At first it seemed mildly interesting, but the characters just kind of felt flat, and a bit forced. I was also somewhat irritated by a couple of technical issues.For me, a guilty pleasure at best.

2/5

7. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

The main problem with this story is that it appears to have been written by a 16 year old who flunked their Philosophy elective, but remains convinced they know more than the teacher. The entire text is just scene after scene of Harry asserting the author's morals, which are both simplistic and inconsistent. Harry's views are never challenged and universally supported by the characters. Any problems with his choices are hand waived by the author inventing some bullshit reason to ridicule the opposing side.

For example, the genophage was unjustifiable because it turns out that Krogans find tons of babies really irritating, and in fact want lots of birth control. The Salarians were also wrong to develop it before checking around and seeing if there were any Krogans that disagreed with the war.

When Jack appears on the ship, she immediately invades the tent Harry has set up as his quarters, and reads one of his magazines. In response, he breaks her arm, and threatens to do it any time she touches his stuff. After this, she says he attempted to rape her. Because that is so much more sensible than reporting him for breaking her arm.

The story is literally scene after scene after scene of this bullshit. It is well written, but that just bumps it up to a guilty pleasure fic for those who are desperate for a ME crossover (like me). Oh yeah, Harry is crazy over-powered and is in charge of two galactic civilizations a quarter of the way through.

2.5/5 rounded down.

8. KingChaotic

KingChaotic Squib

High Score:
    (Spoilers)

I read this story once and couldn't again. To steal a quote from CleanRag, i cant say anything more eloquent and honestly brutal than that, but i'll give it a try.

This story was written by a person who thinks the concept of a Deus Ex Machina should be expanded to an entire race and used every chapter. The Geth has been used to solve every problem in the story (either directly or through Harry), most of which cant go beyond a chapter or two because they solve them so fast. It destroys any sense of character development through conflict that was seen in the Mass Effect Series which was honestly one of its best parts.

It ends all major conflicts in ridiculous ways that make you cringe, though since the story doesn't take itself seriously that not as bad as it would be otherwise.

Harry and the Geth literally solve every problem in the universe in 50 chapters, its like those Saturday cartoon shows i used to watch as a little kid without the charm.

Overall 2/5 - You should only be reading this if you desperately need a ME/HP crossover that was at least well written.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, it's pretty much the equivalent of muggle-wank or Hermione-wank in the HP fandom, except it's Geth-wank. It's really cringey. You also can't forget about the early scene where it's just randomly decided that Tali is a perfect Quarian specimen and an ideal mate to bond with. Yup, they used the B word.

10. NumberSlevin

NumberSlevin Squib

High Score:
    I tried. I really did. I love both Harry Potter and Mass Effect but I think these to universes just don't mash together. Maybe there are some decent crossovers for it but this one is not a stellar example.

11. elucidinian

elucidinian First Year

Nanites are OP, Reapers are reamed by a super-uber-biotic who managed to unite all the races in the galaxy, something that no other being had done before in goodness knows how many years of history, and sidekick Shepard.

But I still laughed. So 2.5/5 for me.