1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Go

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by 9th Doctor, Jul 30, 2016.

1. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I just saw a blurb on Facebook about this. Looks like the same company that did Pokemon Go will be starting work on a Harry Potter game that follows the same augmented reality model. Since it's so early they have nothing concrete but there are a few articles out there confirming it. One is here, another is here. The link to IGN's interview is broken.

Not sure this is the right place for this, but figured I'd put it out there.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really put much stock in this, considering I've heard the exact same thing except you replace Harry Potter with Game of Thrones.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Let's not forget the Harry Potter MMORPG that has been Brough up every year for the last dozen years.

4. Entsu

Entsu Squib

5. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If something like that was to be developed, I wonder how it would work. The schools would probably work like gyms and new spell collection like pokestops (maybe).

How would these 'battles' work out? Would it be those awkward 'your phone is the wand' type of battles were you wave your device about and accidently lob it somewhere or more stationary-type battles, like the current pokemon ones.

All in all, I can't see this being a thing xD

6. dezder

dezder Squib

No offense but harry potter MMORPG would be disastrous. The Canon plot has too many loopholes, there is no "source" of magic. Each character essentially wields infinite magic with minimal control. No balance between spell schools etc... That being said Niantic is known for making VERY addictive games. I'd go play a game where ı am required to use my phone as a wand to do stuff.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well it depends on what type of MMO they made. It does not have to be a traditional "wow-type" MMO with clear progression, tab targeting etc.

They could make something that is more action combat like Diablo 3, or even something similar to Dark Souls.

Different schools of magic could be like a 'rock paper scissors' system.

I.e. Transfiguration would be summons/area threats beats charms, but looses to curses.

8. fitzchivalry

fitzchivalry Squib

High Score:
    niantic is also a really small company - i doubt they'd have the manpower to take on another massive project, not the least of which one that would seem like a knockoff...

9. Triliro

Triliro Second Year

High Score:
    I really hope niantic fixes pokemon go before even considering taking on another project.

10. Bolingbroke

Bolingbroke Squib

It's a weird thing to think about - how it would work, that is. I saw a post somewhere else speculating about collecting magical beasts/plants/chocolate frog cards, but that doesn't quite feel enough to be a full game.

Off the top of my head, I could see it working with an entirely new storyline, and the main gameplay being discovering 'secrets'. So there would be designated landmarks in each locality for a few different things - one for sorting, one for picking a wand, one for picking an owl - and once you're past the intro, you start piecing together the plot.

Almost like a detective point-and-click esque game for Harry Potter? So you're looking around your local park, stumble across a virtual sign saying 'so-and-so's grave', then need to figure out how and by whom they died, etc...
    I haven't put a huge amount of thought into this, but that's what I'd like to play. Rather than an animal/item gathering game, an information gathering game. Maybe you could 'discover' spells, too, in the way you discover pokemon.

Probably be very difficult/impossible to do, though.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

All I want to know is if I can capture any Veela or Metamorphmagi with my pokeballs, and whether or not there will be any canon HP characters in this game.

If there are I'll be sure to shout "I choose you Pettigrew" when I go to battle.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. Bolingbroke

Bolingbroke Squib

Catching animagi and forcing them to fight each other? That could be a thing, right?

13. Azatoth13

Azatoth13 Squib

High Score:
    Collecting magical beasts sounds interesting and especially with the upcoming release of Fantastic Beasts, it could definitely be a tie-up of the two.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  14. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow the thread title made me instantly think of Harry Potter styled pokemon.

Like as in a small Hermione Granger cat monster, Harry Potter the owl looking harpy and Ron Weasley the short rat/man.
    Also is there actually trailers or have you heard concrete information about this being a thing? Don't really know how they'd make it work the Harry potter world after all offers a lot of gaming idea's. I think anyway they choose to design it is going to be interesting

I mean it could be that the magical plants could be adapted into fights like Venomous Tentacula though actually I'm thinking of plant pokemon and they'll probably try and steer away from making this too similar to PokemonGo.
    That's my idea of what they might do.
    I liked that detective/finding theme Bolingbroke mentioned but it'd also be really awesome if they made it into like minigames on the side an such. Seems like it might be a phone app or did I just get that from thinking it'd be a Harry Potter Pokemon Go
    Either way I'd definitely be up for this if it turns out to be true and gets released. If Niantic actually goes through with this it'd be awesome

15. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper