1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jeopardizer

Jeopardizer First Year

It makes Harry Potter more Harry Potter.

We get more Hogwarts (with more classes), more Magic (with the Time-Turner and the new classes, map, patronus), more World-Building (Marauders, Hogsmeade, Marauder Era, classes, dementors) and a plot that doesn't resolve around school-children doing things adults couldn't, but around school-children being school-children with dark things happening around.

The Big Thing, imho, is that Voldemort's past was just Voldemort's past (all things said we know next to nothing in book 2) while Sirius/Remus/Peter/Severus etc...'s past explain a lot of things and adds much more to Harry Potter.

---------- Post automerged at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

And, being french, I can't trust myself with the names :p

2. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Fixity-fixed.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gotcha - thought it was an arrogant slight, rather than humorous sarcasm. Your interp. fits better. Thanks.

4. Portus

Portus Heir

I was going to say that I didn't really *have* any misconceptions, being the near-perfect specimen I am, but I'm too humble to say that. Plus, reading thru these I remembered a couple, so...

I completely misread Ginevra as Ginerva in OotP, and I think it was while reading a fanfic later that I saw it spelled Ginevra. I was about to PM the author when I re-read the correct name in canon. I was stunned that I'd overlooked it for so long. And since I once had an on-again, off-again thing with a Virginia who went by Ginny, I had just assumed it was Virginia before OotP. I made the Guenevere connection with Ginerva/Ginevra, just switched the letters.

I credit my really good vocabulary to comic books, of all things. Well, more so than any other single factor growing up. I read anything I could lay hands on, and when I came across the inevitable new word, I took myself and my book and sat down with the great big Webster's dictionary my mother had splurged on for us kids' homework. And I never failed to have my attention caught by random word after random word, so that most of the time looking up a single unknown word became a couple hours' journey, hopping from word to perhaps related word until I forgot what I'd been reading in the first place.

It's certainly a problem with America's adults.

Yeah, PoA is still probably my favorite, but I know why: The reveal at the end, that Scabbers had been Peter all along, that Sirius was innocent (the first instance of JKR using a red herring name, I believe), and the whole Time Turner -slash- "It was me I saw casting the Patronus" were so wtf-awesome.

Plus the fact that some fairly recent posts in the "Questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread show that even a good chunk of DLP still thought, however many years later, that Harry and Hermione had actually changed the past? Eh, I'm not sure if that makes it more awesome or means that JKR didn't make it clear enough, but it was always clear to ME that the past was never altered.

And about Krum: He IS supposed to be awkward off his broom. Rowling made it clear he was somewhat sullen and stand-off-ish - what you see in the movie is about as far from canon-Krum as the movie versions of Hermione, Ginny, and Fleur are from their canon counterparts.

Seems I had another misconception, but it's slipped my mind now.

5. Nae

Nae The Violent

What the fuck! I've been spelling it wrong my whole life. It's Ginevra and not Ginerva?!?

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Is this gonna keep happening?

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very strange. I (and most people I know irl) don't have a problem with others admitting they don't know things. Wilfully remaining ignorant even after it's been pointed out to them, though...

8. Portus

Portus Heir

And now you get a sense of why Fox News is such a force in the U.S.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Ladies and gentlemen: The dead tree version of the Wiki Effect.

TV Tropes needs to publish an encyclopedia set, then the circle will be complete.

10. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

True, but I had taken it to an extreme. I think it was because the American cover of GoF made him look so oafish.

As far as PoA being the best (because it was), I feel that's because Harry's success in that instance had to do with working for an entire year to master powerful magic, using a blend of theoretical knowledge and force of will that was perhaps never done as well in the books again. It was an immensely refreshing change to see Harry use his own characteristics to do something truly amazing, something Hermione had not done yet, couldn't do, even if she knew the incantation. It was like solid proof that he should have been the protagonist, that magic was more than memorizing what the book said and waving your wand in a strange pattern.

And yeah, the Sirius reveal/rant was just epic.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

12. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

And I was thinking of that exact image after reading afrojack's post. :awesome

13. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

For the longest time I thought Parvati Patil's first name was Pavarti.

To make it worse I am, in fact, Indian.

14. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

You racist wanker.

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I completely agree. PoA seemed like such a turning point (Harry might actually have a chance at a family, Voldemort isn't trying to kill him, etc.) and he took it upon himself to learn something powerful with the assumption that someone wouldn't always be there for him. Then in GoF he's forced into a situation where he needs to better himself (does) and he escapes a life or death situation. And while OoTP wasn't my favorite book, it once again showed growth, like he'd be able to be worthy of the title of "Boy Who Lived." Then he regresses, and the series turns to shit with the introduction of Dumbledores "Private Lessons."

16. Kyouzou

Kyouzou First Year

Well that's just rather sad.

It reminds me though, for years I simply assumed that Rowling had somehow misspelled "patel" until I was finally explained that it wasn't misspelled but a variation of the name.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I first start reading the Harry Potter books in French. Later on, when the fifth book was announced to be out in English only (to start with), I decided it was time to improve my reading skill in that language so I could read the OotP as soon as it hit the shelves.

Not really a misconception, but I remember reading the word Dementor for the first time. God, you should've seen me leafing through my French-English dictionary and not finding anything about the word! I then turned to my parents and my friends and they could not answer me! It's only later on, when I hopped on the computer and checked on internet, that I finally managed to understand it was one of the creature Rowling had invented and that of course, it wouldn't be in the dictionary.

Of course, it kept happening a couple of time through the first books!

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Try reading first five books in Polish.

You have no idea how much was changed. Fuck that translator, fuck him.

19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know how many times I've read it, or for that matter, even written it. But today for the first time, I realized that metamorphmagus was actually meta-morph-magus, as in a type of "magus."

I've always read it as, metamorphigus, as in some type of bastardized latin singular for a metamorph. :facepalm

20. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I've always read it that way, but I've always known how it was spelt.