1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter: The Lone Traveller by The Professional - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Harry Potter: The Lone Traveller
    Author: The Professional
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 16
    Words: 55,605
    Updated: Feb 19, 2006
    Published: Nov 24, 2005
    Pairing: former Harry/Ginny
    Summary: After spending half his life trying to rid the world of Voldemort, Harry Potter finally succeeds. However, the price has been high. Too high. Unfortunately, when Harry risks his life to go back and ‘do things right’, something goes wrong...
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2673584/1/Harry-Potter-The-Lone-Traveller

Every time someone asks for timetravel or dimension hopping stories someone else lists this fic. Thus I just had to give it a try. Actually I was astonished I didn't read it before.

The story also has been mentioned on DLP in the thread about the spin off "The Story of the Guys", which expands one of the dimensions visited here.

When Harry tries to off himself with a killing curse - as part of a ritual to travel back in time - he lands in a different dimension and almost crashes a wedding. He soon realises how the system works. He has to 'help out' in every dimension he visits, and the moment his usually rather small task is solved he vanishes and travels onward to the next dimension. The places and people he visits are always somehow related to him and his life, but this world's Harry doesn't have to appear (or already be born).

During his journey the story of the 'Lone Traveler' starts to pop up and becomes a linking element of the different dimensions. This might have been something for the author to explore further, and perhaps that way the story is incomplete and abandoned.

The premise of the story is similar to Nonjon's 'Dimension Hopping for Beginners', but it lacks Nonjon's spirit. All in all it is more or less average. It's the varity of dimensions that makes the premise interesting, but this author misses the chance to explore the 'extended fanverse'. The writing is often bland, the different dimension and events lack tension and action.

I think this is one of the first fics (if not the first) about ‘dimension hopping’. Nonjon started posting his own story a year later. So if you are interested in this genre or in timetravel / dimension travel in general you should give it a try, even if it is just for nostalgic reasons. It might be a nice timewaster for you. But if you are looking for good stories, then you need to look elsewhere.

3/5

2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Hmmm, I remember this from back in the day loved it back then, still enjoy reading it from time to time, being the father and mother of Dimension hopping in HP fanfiction it pioneered the Genre in fact, and was considered one of the good fics back in the day in many diferent places. So I will give it a 5/5, out of both nostalgic reasons, and me having enjoyed the fic many times over.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. Jazerus

Jazerus First Year

"The Story of the Guys" is actually a spinoff from Stories of the Lone Traveler, an unofficial continuation of this story by dunuelos that anybody who liked this should read. dunuelos takes this concept into the "extended fanverse" that you wish The Professional had explored, Minion. He also adds some crossover chapters that are wholly forgettable, though.

This was a highly original fic in its time and it's still pretty strong, 4/5.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  4. Spennig

Spennig Squib

High Score:
    I enjoyed this one, and the continuations and spinoffs by dunuelos. I would recommend it, and my only "complaint" was that it wasn't continued by the original author. 4/5

5. Uigin

Uigin Squib

High Score:
    I remember reading this fanfiction years ago. I liked it then and I still do so today, to the point that it is one of the fanfictions that I will return to every now and then. I've always considered this as one of the pieces of work that started the trope of dimension/reality hopping in the Harry Potter fandom; and it is certainly the one that initially got me interested in those types of stories.

5/5