1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter & The New Dawn by Prabal - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter & The New Dawn
    Author: Prabal
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure (+angst... lots of it)
    Pairings: leans towards H/Fleur, with H/Tonks in the background
    Summary: Sequel to Power of Hogwarts. Everyone expects Harry to lead the others to battle but is he ready? Can he get everything sorted out before the final showdown? AU. Read PoH first!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2652873/1/

Sequel to: Harry Potter & The Power Of Hogwarts (thread)

Finally jumped over 30,000 words, so I figured it deserves it's own thread.

Power of Hogwarts was a very good Independant!Harry story, with some interesting ideas and a large amount of angst.

It's sequel? Average at best.

No new subplots or interesting ideas have been presented as of yet. Everything is still revolving around various characters angsting over Ginny's betrayal, Tonks' death and some other random things, like Voldemort's new reign of terror.

Ah yes. In the background, as a constant source of neverending angst and dread, there is an insane!Voldemort, going around the country and killing masses of people indiscriminatily. How stupid is that? I mean, Voldemort has like 10 times more death eaters than there are aurors, and his biggest goal seems to be to spread out terror and destruction, instead of just take over the goverment... Why oh why do people keep writting Voldemort's character like that?

To conclude, writting style is still nice enough, but honestly, if this wasn't a sequel of Power of Hogwarts, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

2. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

Yeah I know what you mean, this story has WAY too much angst.

TONKS DIED !!! GINNYS A Death Eater !!!

WE GET IT.

I would be more interested in the fic if the plot was actually moving along.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Good writing creates then resolves tension.

To much melodramatic tension kills a good story.

4. Quack

Quack Second Year

I agree with everything said. I don't think he knows where he wants to go with this story yet. >_>

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

dispite all the angst ive decided to hold judgement so far... the first is probably one of my favorite stories so im a bit biased towards this one...i like it some though...

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it is summed up in the one word: meh

7. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

I dont think the author feels it possible for the characters to get over the deaths so quickly. In real life hes probly right. Hes just holding out on the good stuff until Harry collects himself is my guess.

The problem here is his updates are SLOW, and everytime he updates everyone runs to it hoping something new an exciting hapepened. I think if he held out and wrote 10 chapters or so before he posted we woulnt feel so "meh" about it. Im sure if we had the option to keep reading until we got to the good stuff we wouldnt feel like the angst and "down" feeling was too much becuase we would have been able to read the cool exciting part all in the same reading session. I think infact once he does get 10 chapters out there or so the long angst session will have made the rest of the story seem more real, and give a real feeling that Harry has moved on or grown once he has worked through the problems.

give it a chance guys.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You're probably right... The problem is, if he keep posting with this tempo, good parts will come along somewhere in mid 2007...

9. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Well Chapter 4 was posted today. It was pretty well written in my opinion, but I wish the story had some more action in it....

10. neo

neo Guest

Just read chapter 8 of this fic. Seemed quite nice enough and the story finally seems to be going *somewhere* (don't know where yet). I like how Harry is back with his friends but is more of a commander than relying on Ron and Hermione to do stuff for him. Only problem of the fic till now - way too slow updates. But at least this guy updates!

11. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I quite like it, despite the angst. Although, I think Harry should get off his ass, bang Fleur until her bed breaks, track down Snape and Ginny to boil them in oil, and start kicking ass. All in good time, I guess.

12. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I remember this one and it's prequel. Both stories are alright, perhaps less than average. In particularly I enjoyed the closeness between Remus, Tonks and Harry.

On the downside the fic has multi compartment trunks and the early chapters feature large unreadable blocks of text.

Overall not a bad story, but a guilty pleasure at best. The writing is decent, but there is nothing noteworthy about the story. The sequel hasn't been updated for nearly a year, so it's probably abandoned.

2.5/5.

Also, just to clear it up, the pairing is Harry/Tonks.

EDIT::

You haven't heard then: Neglected stories list

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  13. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

Why the necropost? I thought people here didn't like resurrecting old threads.

I couldn't read PoH... I found the writing style to be extremely annoying.

e.g.
    This alone made me cringe...

I eventually forced myself to stop reading it after chapter 3 or so, when I realized it wasn't likely that the writing would improve.

I might re-read it now, if only so i can read the sequel.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Seems like every day now some random person asks "WHY R U NercoS!?!"

See right above the Patronus charm banner? Ya where it says Neglected Stories List?

Half of the stories at the top of the categories right now are from 3 or more years ago before we instituted a rating system. So we're going back and rating them.

I'm going to have to agree with Matian on this one.

3 years ago this story would have been slightly above average. Three years really wasn't all that long ago in terms of this fandom, this was packed full of cliches even back then.

It's mediocre at best, and at this point... just old.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  15. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

I don't think you realize that i was actually asking an honest question... I've read the rules in regards to necroposting, but i didn't know whether or not this particular one fit the bill. Call it a typical newby mistake to not check the neglected stories list, I will be sure to do so before posting next time.

In regards to the story: I read 15 chapters of the prequel, then skipped to the end so i could read this. My thoughts are pretty much the same, it had a lot of potential, but was ruined by a sub par author.

16. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I wasn't really going off at you, as much as I was at the current trend of people asking that question.

A question that wouldn't need asking if people just paid attention.

Also, from the way you wrote that I'm assuming you don't know so...

Nothing in the library counts as a necropost, as long as you actually contribute to the thread. You could post in a story from 6 years ago, and as long as you posted something legitimate rather than the "Oh Man, I read this story a few years ago!" that we so often get, then its perfectly fine.

The neglected stories list is only for stories that were entered into the library years ago, now that our standards have risen it's about time we weed out some of the shitty ones.

Cheers