1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter: the Other Child by Ryders on the Storm - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Howdy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Title: Harry Potter: the Other Child
    Author: Ryders on the Storm
    Rating: M
    Genre: General/Romance
    DLG Category: Awesomely Bad
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Chapters: 26
    Words: 115,502
    Updated: April 26, 2010
    Published: January 19, 2008

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4019820/1/Harry_Potter_the_Other_Child

Summary:
    When everyone thinks Harry's brother is the BWL, Harry rises from the shadow of the brother to become more than anyone expected.

I've been contemplating posting this story for a few months now, and am happy to say that with the recent revolution I think that DLP is finally ready for possibly the greatest story ever written. Why is it so great you ask?

This story is your one stop shop for all of the best HP fanfiction cliches. Not only does it have the epic Soul Bond, but it also contains such treasures as multi-magical-animagi, founders training, extra prophecies, and the always coveted wrong!Boy-Who-Lived.

Oh, and swords!

I don't want to give much away, but I will say that romantic trips to Central Park in New York always bring out the fangirl in me. ;)

A must read for all Ginny/Ginny's Green-Eyed Boy Toy lovers out there in the tubes!

Checked by Minion, October 25, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Bitch....

What the fuck is this shit?

Now get in the kitchen and make me some Houses of the Holy with a side of Wild World.

Now, woman!

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Oh, I've read this, I think. Dumbledore was very manipulative, but Harry and Ginny together always put one over him :) I was very angry when they tried to rip Harry and Ginny apart to set her up with his stupid brother, but luckily Harry and Ginny had this Soul-Bond and so were married or so at thirteen already.

4. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Amazing tale of love and soul-bonds! Got to read this through, it just pulls me in so strongly.

BTW: Sesc, really waiting for your H/G story, you should put all the others on a hold. :awesome

5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Et has a gud soul bond

BUT I cried so hard when I read it, so tis is not for kids!

How culd prents tret Hary liek dat?!

5/5

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

No.

2/5

Ginny wasn’t perfect enough.

7. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Neither was Harry. At the age of eight he could do only fourth year spells wandlessly.

On the other hand, he plays quitar which is Awesome! Almost as Awesome as H/G!

8. carl

carl Seventh Year

Is it Lily's Guitar he found in the attic? I'm probably thinking of a different ... awesome fic!

9. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Sesc, you make it sound like a H/G version of Unsung Hero. Gotta be good, though I don't know if Ginny and Harry's love and the beautiful union of their souls would be enough to make the rest of the fic bearable to read. I'd imagine reading it would be like being on a forum with horrible dark green background and black theme.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I lol'ed.

Should of expected something like this. :)

11. Bratling

Bratling Professor

This... sucks a lot less than the majority wrong BWL stories that are out there. That being said, I hate the whole soulbond cliché. I don't actually mind Harry/Ginny, if handled well, and the way they met in this one makes incredible sense. I appreciate that James and Lily haven't suddenly been turned into caricatures of the Dursleys, but James makes me want to strangle him on a fairly regular basis. I could also wish that Sirius were more observant in this one, but at least he doesn't ignore the hell out of Harry as he does in most, and he tries. The writing is fairly solid and the grammar is steller compared to the drek that's floating around.

For a wrong boy-who-lived story, it's excellent, but as I despise the soulbond cliché, I'm only giving this a 4/5 for the good writing.

Edit: Just so y'all know, Lily actually pays attention to Harry. It's that moron, James, who pretends that he doesn't have a second son.

12. Random Shinobi

Wait! Are you honestly saying that you actually read this fic...and liked it? Or are you just being wickedly evil and trying to trick people into reading it?

13. Bratling

Bratling Professor

My fic taste is rather... eclectic. Not all of it dovetails with standard DLP fare. I actually don't mind Harry/Ginny, if written well. I also find Snape fascinating in a love-to-hate sort of way. And yeah, I kinda liked it. It's a ton better than the usual wrong-boy-who-lived garbage that's out there.

14. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

This...

---

The story is actually a pretty decent read. There are a couple of things I would have preferred to have been left out, but all in all, it is pretty decent.

Bratling hit on basically everything thing I wanted to say in her first post. The soulbond is meh and the uber power up that comes from it is not something that I would typically read. However the author presents it in a somewhat believable way and the fallout of it is pretty intresting.

Probably not the general DLP's cup of tea, but whatever.

3.5/5

15. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Wrong BWL stories have to be really good for me to actually bother reading them, the whole neglectful Lily/James cliche is just so bad that I cannot read this further than about half a page into chapter 1. The writing is acceptable, S&G seems fine, no complaints there. Plot well, not my cup of tea is a rather pleasant way of putting it.

Because I read so little of it, I'm not going to rate.

16. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

While I don't mind cliches too much, they have to be exceptionally well-written for me to enjoy the story. I didn't like this one. I will rate it 1/5.

17. Random Shinobi

Okay, after reading eight chapters of this fic, I think I can now properly rate it.

Apparently Bratling was just being wickedly evil...

The fic simply sucks. I have nothing against H/G per se, but reading pre-teens proclaim eternal love just makes me gag - no matter what the pairing. Characterisation is terrible; Harry and Ginny don't act remotely like children and the whole Soul Bond issue makes it even worse.

The fic is filled with cliches and the writing is not very engaging. 2/5

18. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

... you know, I'm really divided on this fic. Like Bratling, I have no qualms reading material that most DLP members wouldn't (which includes Lily/Snape), so I took a look at this fic.

First of all, the cliches and fluff are both unbelievably strong, but they can be tolerable if you ignore them for the pure cheese that they are. Looking away from that, the fic wasn't actually as atrocious as I was expecting. There were some pretty lulzy moments mentioned in passing that I didn't expect, and Harry was a bit too overpowered for my tastes (which was rather annoying), but it wasn't terrible. I've read worse fics.

The thing that bothered me the most, probably, was James' behavior in the fic. I'm sorry, but no decent, compassionate father would ever treat Harry the way he does in this fic. It's just too... unbelievable. And even though I think Sirius is relatively well characterized in this book, I keep getting the suspicion that the author's going to spring a RL/SB ship on us, and that just disturbs me.

As a H/G fic, I'm going to give it 4/5, as being vastly better than pretty much every other H/G fic I've read. As an ordinary fic... well, 2.5/5, and it's not getting any higher.

EDIT: yeah, Bratling, I caught onto that, considering my review was pretty much written just before that chapter. Still not a great fic, though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  19. Bratling

Bratling Professor

Silens, IIRC, they introduced a wife for Sirius, so I very much doubt it'll suddenly turn into a Sirius/Remus, since Siri got his wife back, and he loves her...

20. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I've been following this one off and on for the past year, and it's not bad. I haven't read the most recent chapters, but this fic easily surpasses the pile of shit that was 'Unsung Hero,' which is the only other 'wrong BWL' fic I've read.

It may not be to the tastes of the typical DLPer (Ginny and a few cliches), but it's not a bad way to spend a few hours.

4/5