1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter the super-villain.

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Reece, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Reece

Reece Second Year

Simply put, Harry Potter was described in the books as slightly shy and introverted, this was more than likely the cold family members and the whole closet deal.

This would be an AU where Harry, instead of simply taking it without any real problem turned to something else to take his mind off of the abysmal home life.

Namely comic books; this may have been done to death before and temptation to stop reading at this point is more than likely reaching a boiling point within you, but just hear me out.

Right, in comic books the villains are over the top, they gain everyone's attention, their plans never work but they almost always come out perfectly fine, most notably the really hammy villains.

What if Harry, with his childish mind saw this as a good thing? He could gain the attention that any child in his situation would have craved and get off pretty much scot free.

He could mimic any villain you want, ranging from the silly Joker (Not the nasty gritty one as cool as he is it wouldn't suit this.) to the insanely amusing Penguin.

Just take a moment to digest that, take it, use it as you will and...Don't judge me.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like something a) should be in the plot bunny thread rather than a unique challenge thread, and b) which I would avoid like the plague.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

True fact: Every time you say 'Don't judge me', everyone immediately judges you. And they find you lacking.

Really? 'More than likely' the cold family and closet. What was your first clue?

I'm fairly certain he had a rather large problem with it. I mean why else would someone jump at the chance to move in with a guy they thought was going to murder them ten minutes earlier? Faaaiiirly certain thats not no problem at all.

We reached that point not long after the reading the title of the thread.

The he would have become a clown. I'm fairly certain Harvey Dent wasn't thinking "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Look at me, aren't I funny!" when he was running around robbing banks and killing people.

Ditto for Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Hugo Strange... Hell, the Joker is the only one that is, and its not even for the reason you're going on about. He was just a damned screwloose weirdo.

:facepalm You are dismissed. I wont even address this.

I digested it. It gave me diarrhea. I want my money back.

tl;dr: There are a million other crackfics like this, go find one of those.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At least Poison Ivy is hot... also there are fics with what you described OP..

5. Reece

Reece Second Year

Whoo, I have been judged and found lacking.

Oh well, I lack even the basic ability to write characters effectively; coupled with my dubious use of Grammar, Lexis and sentence structure I simply cannot write a story.

...Apparently I can't even think of one either. Thanks for the heads up.

---------- Post automerged at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Meh, I looked, evidently not hard enough because I found very few that didn't involve Harry taking it up the pooper.

Ah well.

I hope the diarrhea gets better. In my expert opinion I suggest a dose of good plot followed by a writing enema.

6. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Ugh...

Look, I actually do find this topic reasonably interesting - Harry Potter as a villainous/evil character - so let's take it in a new direction, because there is a very distinct difference between a 'dark!Harry' and a downright 'evil!Harry'. We actually don't have many stories with Harry as a villain or antagonist or intentionally evil character (I'm excluding the R-Series here because it was clear that Regulus didn't intend Harry to be evil, even though by the end of the series he was more villainous the rest of the cast).

I mean, off the top of my head, I can think of Vash's Bluer Than Indigo and cloneserpents' Scream series... and yeah, that's about it. So let's ask the question: why haven't we seen more fics where Harry is a villain? Why hasn't this been explored in fanfiction more thoroughly?

7. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

@ OP: Wait, you think comic book villains are emo-kids?

At any rate, If Harry were to be a psychopath supervillaine whose life long ambition is to make everyone's life as painful as possible, that could actually be a good story.

Edit: Now that S C mentions it, why indeed we have so dew good evil!Harry stories?

8. Reece

Reece Second Year

Hero's are easy to make - I think - Whereas a villain you can sympathize with and connect to on a level that makes it interesting is a lot harder to write, the character has to be a lot more human than with a hero otherwise the readers end up despising the 'protagonist' for being the 'protagonist'.

That's my theory anyway.

---------- Post automerged at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

...Emo wasn't the theme I was going for here. The premise that I proposed, albeit in a very flawed and speedily written fashion, was that Harry was performing inherently evil acts because when he read the comic books he saw that the Villains gained the attention of the whole city ( and in some cases the world )

He also saw that the villains rarely die or suffer more than a few months in prison where they are promptly broken out by their loyal henchmen, ergo Harry associated the Villains with a carefree and fun existence where fun and games, (mayhem and misery) were the main goals of the villains.

I just suck at explaining things.

9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Mostly because when Harry is written as a villain he's usually taking it from behind by Voldemort or Draco or someone.

Alternatively, it could be because if you're writing Harry as the antagonist you need a good protagonist. The obvious candidates are Ron or Hermione but these two are so often subjected to horrible, mindless bashing that in fanon they might as well be villains. The next choice would probably be Neville but that's moving into the realm of the wrong BWL fics, which rarely end well. Dumbledore might work but he's hard enough to write as a side character, taking him as a main character would take a very good writer. After that you're into OC's which is just a bad idea.

I actually have an idea for a two part story, the first part showing Harry's descent into dark magic, the second part shows Ron trying to stop his reign of terror.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That reminds me of my unfinished one-shot that I was working on for one of the DLP contests where Harry is downright evil or in his own mind 'beyond good and evil'. I definitely need to finally finish writing it.

11. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I had an idea for a time-travel piece where the Harry who came back had come to agree with Voldemort that "There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those to weak to seek it."

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to write without it devolving into super!Harry cliches or just being uninteresting.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry knows is sort of close to what you wanted. Harry raised by Doctor Crane. However, it doesn't really have a plot.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No need for time travel.

14. Antivash

Because most people read with a specific outlook on life set in stone and don't deviate from it: Evil never triumphs, the good guy gets the girl, and humanity is born with an inborn sense of morality and humanity is, by nature, good.

A villain as the protaganist is, in that respect, destined to disappoint. The good guy loses, humanity suffers, and evil wins. All is wrong with the universe.

15. Reece

Reece Second Year

Have you ever watched Doctor Horrible's video blogs, It's good stuff and basically what you described except with a likable villain.

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Control has an arguably evil!Harry.

That said, most people don't want to read an evil!Harry because they can't project onto him. It's pretty simple. Hell, I don't really like reading evil!Harry, even if it's done well, because I'm pretty firmly Chaotic Good irl and it's just uncomfortable to read it.

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You lean towards liking characters who would fit into the "Chaotic good" section? Or would you describe yourself as "Chaotic good?"

Because option two would just be plain blagh. :facepalm

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first. I don't actually go about promoting revolutions, no matter how much they're needed.

19. Antivash

Lies. By day, T3t is a mild mannered retard. But by night, under the cover of darkness (cast by the shadow of his brow), he becomes Captain Unibrow, defender of truth, justice, and the free world.

20. Diomedes

Diomedes First Year

I think a Harry with similar characteristics to Lex Luthor or Bane would be interesting to read.