1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Harry Potter's Life Lessons by DisobedienceWriter - K+

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by yojorocks, Sep 13, 2007.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter's Life Lessons
    Author: DisobedienceWriter
    Rating: Fiction Rated: K+
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Independent Harry
    Pairing: None
    Words: 16,772
    Published: August 27, 2007

Summary: AU of PSSS. The Dursleys have done one good thing for Harry Potter’s continued safety: their neglect has made him suspicious, sneaky, and cruel. A brief explanation of how things might have gone differently. Includes DH spoilers. Amoral!Harry.

Notes: I'm kind of surprised that no one posted this earlier; while it is a slightly longer oneshot (nearly 15k), it is a nice piece of work. Harry is jaded and cynical, yet somehow the author maintains the child perspective. It is not a crappy rewrite of HPSS like so many first year fics are, but at the same time manages to tie things off nicely enough that it doesn't seem like the author took a knife and simply cut the story off.

My only complaint is that Harry seems too intelligent; Granted, I have met some bright 10 year olds before, and it avoids the UBER!Harry cliche like the plague, but I have never seen some as intelligent and cynical at that age. Regardless, it isn't such a huge leap of faith that nearly all Firstie fics require you to make.

4.33/5: not ingenious enough, but almost there, avoiding nearly all of the major problems First Year fics are plagued with.

Checked by Minion, March 24, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Now, that's an interesting read. An inteligent Harry (perhaps a bit too inteligent, but this way the story is so much better...)
    My only complaint is that pulling all of this of in only one year is kind of rushed... could have taken till second year with the diary and than spin everything off... well, never mind that...

4/5

3. griselda

griselda First Year

It's simply fun to read. Harry might be a bit too clever for a first year, but that serves the story well. He just seems all the more cynical and amoral for it. Borderline disturbing.

A major plus is that all the right characters were dished out exactly the fate they deserved.

A 4.8/5 for me.

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Dang, we should just have a DisobedienceWriter author thread, and post in it when he updates.

I'll probably read it later today and edit this post.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yup, pretty much same old same old from DWritter - smart self-righteous know-it-all Harry, bashing of half of the character, glorifying the other half and clearing up the world from corruption according to the author's vision...

...which isn't bad at all, if you like this stuff. Personally, I'm OK with it. If you liked DWritter's other stories, you'll like this one as well.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I clicked on the link to D-writer's profile page, and was treated to an ad of a guy slapping the manboob of a sumo. But I digress.

It was actually a good read. I got the occasional vibe from Unholy by Alchymia, but yojo is correct in that this was lacking the final thing that makes it ingenious.

7. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Typical DW. Smart, sharp, intuitive Harry who pretty much is above every other wizard/witch in terms of Mental Agility.

Fun to read and a definite change from most of the other stuff out there.

4.25/5

8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

How to tie up every single major plot thread in the entire Harry Potter series in the first year. Yikes.

Impressive, I suppose, and mildly entertaining. Only thing it really lacks is a pairing, but hell, the boy's eleven. If this stretched out to the point where he starts noticing girls he'd probably end up owning the entire wizarding world and a good chunk of the muggle one.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I guess I liked it, but it didn't really come off as special.

Harry is a high-and-mighty smart ass who can suddenly see through all of the bullshit everyone else is totally ignorant too. It sounds to me like the author has a bit of a superiority complex.

3/5 ~ Not bad if you like DW's writing (little to no actual conflict, just a straight path from bad situation to good situation).

It had a few awesome ideas, but you can't just have awesome ideas in a one-shot, as there's no room for fleshing out.

10. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

My favorite first year AU by far, no question about it. Maybe I've just read one too many Slytherin!Harry fics that just replace Ron with Draco, but I digress. I loved how the author managed to tigh all those loose ends up in one chapter, it's quite impressive.

The author made some edits to this story in October, just to let you know.